Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar shop rant

Rabs

Ohh man.. I am so disappointed...

I have been buying off the same guitar shop now since ohh 2009 or so... Most of my guitars came from there.. I buy most of my strings there etc... Its called DV247 (Digital Village), they used to have several shops around the country and the staff were great, they would give me a discount without me even asking.. Even on a single packet of strings... So I always went there cos, support the local shop an all that and cos they actually offered a service...

Well after my recent experience im not sure I will ever go again.

These days they are now just down to the one shop the local one to me.. All of the good staff have left... And half the stuff they sell now has to be ordered from a warehouse....

So I went I there last Monday (a week and a half ago) to get some pickups that I saw was listed as in stock on their site... I get there and was told that no, they don't stock them there and it will take 4-5 days to get to the shop so I would hear on Friday or Saturday.... Both days came and went, nothing... Then Monday came, I called up and after ringing about 20 times someone eventually answered, the guitar guys were busy, no one else could tell me anything and I was told they would call me back by the end of the day... End of the day came and nothing. I then tried to call them Tuesday and Wednesday and no one answered the phone (I must have let it ring 30 times), no answerphone to leave a message... Nothing...

So today I went back to the shop... Apparently one of the pickups I wanted (a Burstbucker 2) they DIDNT have in stock at all and had to order it from Gibson.. When I asked how long it would take they couldn't give me an answer and just said, well you never know with Gibson... Then the other pickup I had ordered had come so I thought ok at least I can get one of them ( a P94) he brought it down and I decided to open it and im glad I did... The whole plastic case just fell apart as I opened the package and the pickup itself had wax and dirt all over it and several scratch marks...

So then he said hold on I will call and see if we can do something (I was assuming some money off)... But nope.. they wernt interested they said I could either accept it or order another one (which would take another 5 days) at which point I told them to forget it and I will just order it online... The funny thing is then he tried to tell me that oohh youd better watch out for fakes on Amazon, its not reliable...

And they probably wonder why the shop is failing.

Its a shame really as I like going to a shop and talking to people.. But they just make it not worth my while.. I need these pups for my latest build which I want ready for the show in Feb... So its not like im being fussy just for the sake of it.. In the end now online just seems easier and more reliable than going to a shop.. Whod have thought it?

jeeze,, and some of these places wonder why their old/stable customer base is driving by the stores laughing at them, while on their way home to open the package that was just delivered (Free) by amazon 2 day delivery..

It's no wonder they have gone from multiple stores down to one, (a miss-managed on too so it would seem) They deserve everything they got coming at this point..

It's a good thing to help out the mom and pop places, but if there not willing to reciprocate or provide good customer service, good riddance! I ordered several guitar parts and a couple of guitars from Amazon and have ALWAYS received good customer service and mostly receive what I ordered within a couple of days.

Its a sad state of affairs. They are probably cutting costs by reducing inventory, but keeping the customer guessing/waiting is not good enough. Thats not the way to retain customers.

Ive noticed previously excellent shops decline miserably. One in my city, has a disabled website. They dont answer e-mails and when I dropped in last year they had less stock than some posters here!

This used to be a fabulous privately run guitar store. Then the owner retired and sold it on... [thumbdn]

Its a sad state of affairs. They are probably cutting costs by reducing inventory, but keeping the customer guessing/waiting is not good enough. Thats not the way to retain customers.

Ive noticed previously excellent shops decline miserably. One in my city, has a disabled website. They dont answer e-mails and when I dropped in last year they had less stock than some posters here!

This used to be a fabulous privately run guitar store. Then the owner retired and sold it on... [thumbdn]

Maybe its time for me to go back to Denmark Street.... That used to be the dogs nuts for guitar shopping... Then they got all touristy and stupidly expensive (and arrogant staff)... maybe its got better down there now?

It's a good thing to help out the mom and pop places, but if there not willing to reciprocate or provide good customer service, good riddance! I ordered several guitar parts and a couple of guitars from Amazon and have ALWAYS received good customer service and mostly receive what I ordered within a couple of days.

I agree.

I don't quite know how to handle a mature, adult discussion about things with you included.

I trolled you in the Acoustic section, but you haven't shown up.

rct

Maybe its time for me to go back to Denmark Street........Then they got all touristy and stupidly expensive (and arrogant staff)... maybe its got better down there now?

I can honestly say that Wunjo Guitars has the friendliest and most helpful staff I've encountered in England. They always have great kit in store - especially their used stock. They aren't a Gibson franchise, though, so I don't know if they carry the sort of stuff you are after. Macari's have generally been pretty decent over the years - once they know you're not a timewaster.

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

In my experience DV247 have always been crap and have always had unscrupulous business practices. They agreed a price match with me until I drove there and then reneged on it after I told them how long the journey had been.

I can honestly say that Wunjo Guitars has the friendliest and most helpful staff I've encountered in England. They always have great kit in store - especially their used stock. They aren't a Gibson franchise, though, so I don't know if they carry the sort of stuff you are after. Macari's have generally been pretty decent over the years - once they know you're not a timewaster.

Pip.

I live in California and have never been to England, but I've dealt with Ant Macari online and have nothing but positive things to say about the way he's taken care of me!! Great guy, and Macari's is the only place to buy a legit new Tone Bender (don't get me started on JMI)

Macari's is the only place to buy a legit new Tone Bender (don't get me started on JMI)

eusa_clap.gif

I had absolutely no idea of what you were talking about, Dub, but as I'm curious by nature and you are always interesting in your knowledge I dug a little deeper. Who - outside a veritable afficionado like yourself - would imagine that a pedal as 'Basic' (I don't mean simple) as the Tone Bender would have such an incredibly well-researched, well-documented, well-posted life!

Crikey ! ! !

I believe Macari's was the go-to store for Jimi when he was in town (& looking for Strats)?...

Pip.

I believe that the DV247 chain was bought by a German company called musicstore.de a few years ago. I understand they have a very large warehouse in Germany with a big EU distribution. The remaining DV247 is what's left of the UK-based operation. As such, they're not really a "mom and pop" shop.

DV247/Musicstore sites do often have some very good online deals (I bought my LP Signature 2014 from DV247 a year ago for £860- brand new, un-opened and flawless. Not bad for a fully bound, full gloss LP with an AA top. Whilst I ordered it from the DV247 website it was shipped from the Germany warehouse)

I can't complain about the price at all but the loss of personal service and the shift to online distribution is the way of the world these days.

Is that the one round the comer in Charing Cross Rd?

Are you asking about Macari's, Scales?

They have two branches; the (original, I believe) one on Charing Cross Road and another, newer (to them), place in Denmark Street. As a general rule-of-thumb the latter has a few more 'up-market' Gibson stock - as in the Collectors' Choice Les Pauls and so on - but the C.X.Rd branch still has a great deal of droolworthy goods.

FWIW I acquired two of my LPs as well as my D'Angelico "Excel" archtop from the C.X.Rd shop so they must be doing something right...

Pip.

Yep, thanks Pippy, that rings true to my memory. Wunjo's had two shops on D St I'm sure when I was there most recently - and the couple of vintage places are always fun too! ...and that one with the old Japanese electrics up the stairwell - some 'interesting' interpretations of a guitar amongst them [biggrin]

eusa_clap.gif

I had absolutely no idea of what you were talking about, Dub, but as I'm curious by nature and you are always interesting in your knowledge I dug a little deeper. Who - outside a veritable afficionado like yourself - would imagine that a pedal as 'Basic' (I don't mean simple) as the Tone Bender would have such an incredibly well-researched, well-documented, well-posted life!

Crikey ! ! !

I believe Macari's was the go-to store for Jimi when he was in town (& looking for Strats)?...

Pip.

Pip, I am hopelessly obsessed with Tone Benders. I could keep flapping about them until the end of time but I think the least boring way you could learn about them (should you so desire) would be to go to Macaris and chat with Ant and play with some of David Main's creations. They are very simple circuits but the sound quality is heavily dependent on component selection. Two of them with the exact same circuit and even exact same components can sound COMPLETELY different just due to variations in individual transistor specs. David Main at Sola Sound and DAM is putting out the best work. Steve Williams at Pigdog is also very much worth looking into

Macari's made the first British fuzz ever, so at that time they were hugely involved with the sounds coming from Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Mick Ronson, Hendrix, etc

It seems the big box store and the on-line outlets are squeezing the smaller guys out of business. It a shame because the small shop was usually owned and operated by one guy who really had great knowledge of instruments and could make useful recommendations to customers. Just like Home Depot and Lowes have put a lot of small independent hardware stores out of business. They hire the cheapest labor they can find and it's rare to find a salesperson that is really knowledgeable. [thumbdn]

there is only one way to handle places like that.

• ask to see the manager
  • put him in a headlock
  • wrestle him to the ground
  • squeeze till he taps out
  • tell him to get up and walk it off.

Ha... Well I did think about talking to the manager but it sort of felt pointless... I understand that they are having to compete in an extremely difficult market and it kind of seems like they have just given up... Im sure it wont be long before they go online only...

I just found it a bit sad cos ive been buying there for so long it feels like quite a loss.

I guess its just a sign of the times we live in... On the other hand... the service I just got from amazon cant really be beat, it was quick and convenient and works (mostly).... All you really have to worry about on amazon is people selling fakes.. but this came from amazon themselves so I was pretty sure it would be legit and it seems to be...

• 1 month later...

I try to shop at a local family owned shop as often as possible and have gotten to know the owner and his guitar instructor well over the last year and a half I've been here in town. He always gives me a good deal and I never ask for a discount. He's not a Gibson dealer but I get everything else from him if he's able to get it. I worked at a couple of small music stores in my early playing/teaching years, so I know it's tough to stay afloat sometimes for the smaller stores.

there is only one way to handle places like that.

there's another far less involved option...

Stop using them entirely...

THIS!

Our greatest voting power is money. I prefer to buy from local small stores to help out with diversity and local economy even though I know it may cost me more. I am happy to pay more if I get my money's worth in great customer service. Customer service is not something that costs the employee anything, but you have to hire the right person because the wrong person may misrepresent the way the store does business. As an example, I really like Rockin' Robin here in Houston for its selection of cool old stuff, but the guys there are always so condescending and lazy that I always wind up buying online at Guitar Center. I asked one guy about RR's return policy and he said, "well, you can't keep it three years and return it." I said, "what is the official return policy?" He refused to answer. Finally the shop's daughter said, "No returns, store credit but you have one week to make up your mind." That is fine, but don't make me chase a simple answer. They say the price match, and have for me in the past, but if the wrong person is working that day, they **** around and don't price match, as if they could care less if you buy from them or not.

If GC hires morons, at least the shop itself has a generous return policy and they always price match.

Customer Service is ALL a mom and pops shop has. Do they not know this?

Archived