Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson exlorer gov series 2

krukan

Hi

I´ve been searching around the web for some advice on tail piece and bridge height for my explorer, but didn´t find the info I was looking for..

Maybe I´m stupid or looked at the wrong place. And that´s why I´m here :D

I like to fix things and guitar is of course one of those thigs I would like to learn more about.

So.. I plan to leave it to the professionals but I like to test my limits.

I have checked the neck and I feel that it´s ok, like medium action but I get some razzel in the strings.

Tried to adjust the height on tail piece and bridge. But I have no reference. Does someone have suggestions on height for the two.

Metric or imperial goes :)

thx

/Dave

Hi

I´ve been searching around the web for some advice on tail piece and bridge height for my explorer, but didn´t find the info I was looking for..

Maybe I´m stupid or looked at the wrong place. And that´s why I´m here :D

I like to fix things and guitar is of course one of those thigs I would like to learn more about.

So.. I plan to leave it to the professionals but I like to test my limits.

I have checked the neck and I feel that it´s ok, like medium action but I get some razzel in the strings.

Tried to adjust the height on tail piece and bridge. But I have no reference. Does someone have suggestions on height for the two.

Metric or imperial goes :)

thx

/Dave

Howdy Dave.

There's a guy Dave in the Memphis shop that posted this on another forum:

Hi I'm David the final inspector at Gibson Memphis. I can give you the factory spec info. on our setups. You will need a mechanics rule to do this properly.

To check neck relief: fret the low E at the first and 15th fret (not 12th) reach to the 7th fret and tap string. There should be a small space between string and fret - no thicker than a piece of paper. Do the same with the high E.

ACTION: fret low E at first fret and measure the distance from the bottom of the to the top of the 15th fret. It should be 5/64". Do the same with the high E, measurement should be 3/64". Now measure the string height at the nut; underside of the string to the top of the fret. Low E and A should measure 2/64", D and G =1.5/64" and B and high E = 1/64". If string height at nut is correct, recheck string height at 12th fret with strings open. Measurement for low and high E's should be the same as measurement taken at the 15th.

Pickups: Fret low E at 22nd fret and measure pickup height from underside of string to point on pickup closest to string. Bridge pickup should be 3/64", neck pickup should be 4/32". Fret high E at 22nd fret, distance for both pickups should be 3/32".

Play test: Play every string at every fret checking for buzzes. Bend High E string 1 and 1/2 steps, beginning at the sixth fret and ending at 22nd, checking for "choking" and to make sure string stays in nut notch.

Thank you for the answer!

I think I got it, need to do it a few more times but everything went well.

Some fret buzz but I´ll try to get rid of it today!

Think I got the right angel with the truss rodd to :)

/David

• 1 month later...

Hallå Krukan (antar att du är svensk?),

I'd like to add that the bridge height difference between low E and high E (so to speak), is to a degree preferential. I personally prefer a tad less of a height difference between the two than the above specs - it just feels better.

Of course, pickups have to be adjusted accordingly, but it's minimal adjustments, like a hair - after I've got the tone dialed in, I check for volume differences between a power chord on, say, the D-G-B strings, and one starting on the low E string. Something like that.

Archived