Gibson Brands Forums

Afraid of going down to 1 guitar / Selling off my other acoustics?

sbpark

Of course I know I'm going to get more Gibson support in this thread than Martin given this is a Gibson forum, but that's a given. But as I have mentioned in the past, I went through a massive "thinning of the herd" last year. I put quite a few acoustics and electrics up for sale, and in the process was offered a trade and ended up with a '12 Gibson AJ. That pretty much sealed the deal for me. Made my J45 Standard sound like cardboard comparatively so that guitar was sold with no regrets. I currently still have a Martin HD-28 and a Martin 000-15M. Now don't get me wrong, both are WONDERFUL guitars, and in my opinion, great examples of each model respectively. Problem is, I never reach for them, and if/when I do it's usually out of guilt because I always play the AJ. When I do play the Martins it's usually short-lived, and go right back to the AJ.

I currently have the 000-15M for sale locally, but have also considered putting the HD-28 up for sale. Part of me says just keep it in the case because one day you'll regret parting with it. I have also rationalized keeping it for when friends come over and an impromptu jam breaks out (even though when my buddies come over they usually have a guitar in tow). Just making excuses to keep something that I really don't have a current desire to play. FWIW, I do feel a lot better after selling all those guitars. Less choices, less second-guessing and more time playing, and in turn I've become a better player as a result (at least I think so!)

Of course, if I sold the two Martins that would leave me with the AJ as my only acoustic. Why does only having one acoustic freak me out? Last year when I did the big thinning of the herd I really have zero regrets aside from a nice SJ200. The money went to debt, and now I have zero credit card debt, have tier 1 credit, and the next step is to crush the rest of my student loans in the next 12-15 months while also continuing to my goal of building at least 6 months worth of savings in the bank (and also max'ing out my yearly contribution to my 403b retirement plan). Also recently met with a financial planner to restructure where the money is allocated in my retirement plan (FWIW, I'm 40 years old).

One rule I have set for myself (and stuck to for a while now, is if a end up wanting a new guitar, I can't pull out of my checking or savings account. The funds have to come from selling something else I currently own, or trade, like one in, out out policy.

So given everything I've said above I'm curious as to what others would do int his situation (real first world problems, right?) Here are the options:

1. Sell the Martins and put the money in the bank, keeping the AJ as my only acoustic guitar.

2. Sell the Martins and buy a used SJ200, which is the only acoustic guitar I really ever regret selling.

3. Keep the HD-28, sell the 000-15M (or vice versa)

Stop agonizing. Take them out and look at them, play them, gig 'em if you do that, jams, whatever. If it is going, it will tell you. After that, don't ask other peoples, just let it go. I've always done it that way, been as many as low 20's to current 11 guitars. I do not agonize I decide and after that it is done.

rct

Ahahaha! if you opt for 1 and 2? then you might as well keep them all as long as you can, Then later on by a closer more feel and need? One by one you can decide let go the one you really need to and the next just in case you want the SJ200 back into your life again with the AJ. [thumbup]

Did I make sense here? That is what I did with my Gibson Les Paul Junior and Deluxe Goldtop just to get my Black Beauty Custom. [biggrin]

Trans

This wasn't on your list of options, but I'd say keep the AJ and the small Martin. They do different things and will serve different purposes. That way, you'll have some sonic variety.

That was an option (see option option 3!) I've thought about it, and it's still a possibility.

Stop agonizing. Take them out and look at them, play them, gig 'em if you do that, jams, whatever. If it is going, it will tell you. After that, don't ask other peoples, just let it go. I've always done it that way, been as many as low 20's to current 11 guitars. I do not agonize I decide and after that it is done.

rct

I'm just posting this thread for entertainment, mostly. You seem to reply this way whenever anyone spots a thread like this. Don't worry your pretty little head, I'm a big boy and make my own choices. Like I said, this is more about starting a fun, maybe interesting discussion while giving a little background about myself, nothing more, nothing less.

I'd for sure get the guitar I always wanted or had been agonizing over selling. Beyond that, I gig way-too-much to depend on just 1-2 or even three guitars. I'm currently back to 8 Gibsons and several lower-priced guitars. If and when I "thin the herd" it will likely be the cheaper ones first. In the past I've given the cheaper ones to Blind Veterans Stores and The VFW. The Gibsons I'd sell or trade for something else. Kind of an endless circle. Besides, my son plays some too and he can use/keep-for-a-while most any of my guitars.........Anyway, in regards to guitars, I'm the only one I really have to please and usually if I'm selling a Gibson it's because I've got my eye on another one.

I bought a lot of acoustics, used and new. I sold some, and gave away more ( to my kids, nieces, nephews, etc). I still have in my office on the wall at home:

Hummingbird

J50

HD28

D15

Taylor 214ce

and I have a Farida cheapy at work, and a Yamaha cheapy im still trying to give away.

If I were you, I would not go down to one guitar. Heep your AJ and your HD28. At the very least there will be a time when one is getting work done for a few weeks, and you will want another nice guitar at the ready. Secondly, I go through stages... I will record a lot and use the J50, or I will be gigging a lot and I will use the J50, HD28, or Taylor depending on the venue.

Seriously, selling your HD28 might yield $1900 bucks, and the 000-15 $700 bucks. Its not going to affect your retirement. Keep all three and enjoy them. GAS may make you sell one, and buy the J200, and then a year later you'll switch gears and try a collings and sell one of them... and in the end they all will sound good enough and just fine.

I know you are posting for amusement, but this is my 2 cents anyway. I have pi$$ed a lot of money away trading guitars for no meaningful difference in how I sound and what I play. The good news is I am not poor as a result - I am lucky enough to afford my being stupid.

.......as per Sal :

Seriously, selling your HD28 might yield $1900 bucks, and the 000-15 $700 bucks. Its not going to affect your retirement. Keep all three and enjoy them. GAS may make you sell one, and buy the J200, and then a year later you'll switch gears and try a collings and sell one of them... and in the end they all will sound good enough and just fine.

Totally agree there. Enjoy what you have and if ever you need to let of one for some itch of a matter? By all means it's a go for one or both of them. Besides? it's not like you have a lemon or a cheapy low budget box there. It will sell quick I bet! [thumbup]

Trans

One guitar?

You are on the verge of having your membership revoked!

And some kind of fine for breaking the internet. [thumbdn]

It it was me, the D28 would go in DADGAD for exploration and the 000-15 would be in what that guitar is made for: open G slide!

And then you will need a spare or 2 of each, and what about a custom build?

BluesKing777.

I'm just posting this thread for entertainment, mostly. You seem to reply this way whenever anyone spots a thread like this. Don't worry your pretty little head, I'm a big boy and make my own choices. Like I said, this is more about starting a fun, maybe interesting discussion while giving a little background about myself, nothing more, nothing less.

If that's the case, gulp some decaff, stop attempting to correlate my answers to anyone else's threads, remember that I am not at all worried about you or anyone else, and that I don't care how big you are or your choices.

My answer was nothing more than some advice on buying and selling guitars, nothing more, nothing less.

If you start something and don't like the answers move on. It's how the internet works.

If you find yourself finding that everyone on the internet is a d1ck, maybe it isn't everyone on the internet.

rct

stop attempting to correlate my answers to anyone else's threads, remember that I am not at all worried about you or anyone else, and that I don't care how big you are or your choices.

Yeah, to be fair rct only gets sanctimonious in 19.4% of his posts (albeit up slightly for 2017) which, if you think on it, is kind of the same rate as for when you have to throw in slow numbers in a set for the chicks... keeps things on the level you know.

Man, sell em if you don't play em and get something you will - that's my advice, but then I don't follow it myself, but then I know I should, but then I'm lazy and...

The notion of getting to where buying/selling guitars nearly (never totally) supports itself is how I operated most of my life. It even allows you almost (never totally) guilt-free 'keepers' along the way! The retirement thing did a number on that for me due to the coincidental economic downturn a few years back. So be careful how you pad your nest egg! Planning well doesn't always prevent 'em from screwing you!

Congrats on freeing yourself from credit card debt. Bask in the feeling of freedom and don't forget how that feels. I say go for option 3 keeping the 000-15M. My reasoning is that you have the dread size covered with something you like so ditch the HD28 as a near redundancy. Keep the 000-15M because it's all mahogany and a 12 fretter and a Martin. I think you need a minimum of two if you're really playing guitar a lot because if you have only one and it has to go into the shop you got nothin' to play and THAT would be a true disaster. Once you're down to two the SJ200 will start to prey on your mind and/or one will immediately appear on your radar and then you can move on it and sell the Martin once it's in hand. And first world problems are the problems that happen in the first world. Give thanks to whatever god(s)you worship that this is the world you get to be in.

10am in Victoria, Australia and I look out the window while working as the Fedex dual wheel van turned in to my drive.....

Heart races, did I buy something and forgot, did I click the wrong button, did the Better Half buy me that surprise guitar?

Knock on the door, Oh wow.....wrong address...add a 10 to that number dickbrainhead.......

But it all came back for a moment - the Fedex moments!

BluesKing777.

.....always nice to have something to compare to and go back, You'd be surprised one day how much you missed the others over the one you play all time. You mind just needs a break from it all or maybe it's the loss of the SJ200? [thumbup] '

I say keep 'em all for now. You will know the right time when it's for them to go.

Trans

1485458689[/url]' post='1830786']

rct

So, the question is just being posed for entertainment/fun.? And apparently you felt RCT was neither. I agree, his comment wasn't as entertaining as BK777''s FedEx False Alarm. But I thought it was insightful and respectful.

Ah, to be dept free....I wonder what that feels like. Oh well, maybe someday. In the mean time I will enjoy my guitars, and when the debt is gone, it will be time to save up and buy another one. I think if I had waited to buy later then I might not ever have them. It's like, if you wait to have kids until you can afford them, would you ever have them?

Martin and Gibson are both still in business - sure you'll likely never be able to get these guitars back, but you'll be able to get any of these models again, even new if you want.

If you're not feeling them anymore, and you don't think you'll regret selling them - sell!

I have sold things that I've since regretted selling, but that's life. I can always buy another one if I regretted it that much, and some things I have.

Archived