Gibson Brands Forums

Original song: 'Leaking Out'

Old Neil

Inspired by some fine original songs by members I will throw this one in. It was recorded in my 2sqm 'office' in my apartment with a friend and amateur producer who made some realistic drum and electric guitar to back up my acoustic guitar (a Martin on this one) and vocals. Funny coincidence. I did a few vocal takes, all the way through in a row. Apparently I was bored singing it exactly the same way because, without knowing it, I harmonized a few of my lines which could be used in the mix without needing to do any overdubs. Handy. rolleyes.gif

https://soundcloud.com/user-755150884/leaking-out

P.S. 'RayDeeyay' is just another of my non de plumes

For those into lyrics (or who can't understand my singing...) :

# Leaking Out

Early intuition

Never followed or explored

The wonder of a child

You can't remember anymore.

The secrets you've heard whispered

Pick the locks upon your door

You know there's so much more

No lie can hide

The Truth of You

No matter how you try

No matter what you do

Oh, to stop it leaking out

It's leaking out

Leaking out

Leaking out

An Age of Reason bound you

With unreasonable demands

Now life is leaking from you

And it wasn't what you planned.

But all these limitations,

Just scratches in the sand

The Stick is in your hand

When time and tide

They turned on you

Did you do

Everything you knew

Oh, to stop it leaking out

It's leaking out

Leaking out

Leaking out

You miss every chance

That you never take

Well it's time to choose

And it's getting late

But you're still asleep

You refuse to wake

How the helpless try and

Twist their fate

Leaking out

Leaking out

Oooh, good stuff.

Lush with instrumentation; I gave up trying to count the instruments heard, or number of tracks that must’ve been combined. And it totally belied it’s title. Yes, FB, a definite positivistic George H influence.

Of course, would’ve been even better with the new Hummingbird Vintage- the tulips would’ve fit right in.

Thanks guys,

It's not as lush as it may sound really. It took just two hours because the main guitar and vocal parts were just all the way through 'live' takes. Adding the support tracks and mix down was done on another day by my friend and that was it. We all probably have the Beatles in our listening DNA so unconscious influence there I suspect. I'll take that comparison any day of the week, thanks. :-)

Regarding recordings with the new Gibsons, I have written the bones of three new tunes since buying them. I am travelling for a month soon though so doubt any new stuff will get recorded till springtime. The good news is, while I'm away, a selection of my guitar playing friends get to keep them singing away so I am hoping they will be even more broken in (in a good sense) when I get back.

Well that's knocked the standard up a notch or four

Excellent man. Really good !

I suspect that is most likely due to the production values of a multi- track, multi-instrument demo as opposed to the singer-guitarist live one takes usually posted here but thank you Mr. Grunt

You're welcome 62burst,

I appreciate it when others do that with their songs too. I've always enjoyed reading lyrics so I am sure there are others who are simarly inclined. It gives you are slightly different angle or overview of a song than just listening to it.

That was great, l loved it great potential. I hear a Jeff Lynne type tune..get him as producer and ...."to the top boys, to the top of the top!"🚀

Very good hook, lyrics, good production too.....well done Old Neal...thanks for sharing.

Sweet words, Neil. Can't get my Sound Cloud to play this morning, but your lyrics are real and human. I seem to automatically relate to words like yours. The song is like a "slice of life" that we all go through when the passing years/decades lead us to wonder where the hell all the time went. Lessons learned from living. Lessons never learned, because we were too lazy to make the effort. Things we regret not doing. Things we regret doing. Pictures that we don't see until they've faded.....Nice journey to a place we all visit at one time or another.

Sweet words, Neil. Can't get my Sound Cloud to play this morning, but your lyrics are real and human. I seem to automatically relate to words like yours. The song is like a "slice of life" that we all go through when the passing years/decades lead us to wonder where the hell all the time went. Lessons learned from living. Lessons never learned, because we were too lazy to make the effort. Things we regret not doing. Things we regret doing. Pictures that we don't see until they've faded.....Nice journey to a place we all visit at one time or another.

Thanks MissouriPicker,In the beginning, I had a particular person in mind to base the song around but soon realised it had a more universal theme like you describe. That is my greatest pleasure as a songwriter - just watching the song evolve and what it is trying to say. Sometimes that only becomes obvious long after it was written. In its best forms, it can be like channeling the unconscious. At other times, well, meh. But that's how it goes.

sji200, Yes, like the with Beatles/Harrison thing, I have been a fan of The Travelling Willberries and the individual members careers - so that included Jeff Lynn (who also produced them) and of course Harrison, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan. You know, all the usual suspects. :-)

I enjoyed that, man.

Very well written, and some nice singing on your part. Great tune.

Thanks Avery,

My idea had always been to just write songs and have much more talented people play and record them (I was always one of those nerds who checked the labels on vinyl records for the small print to see who actually wrote the song). Soon found out that if you want something done, you usually end up having to do most of it yourself though. I still like the idea of getting different people to add their unique skill sets to a work. In my most extreme musical fantasy I would probably just write lyrics (as it is where I feel most confident) and collaborate with musicians, singers, arrangers, orchestrators and producers. I'm one of those guys who think Bernie Taupin (silent songwriting partner to Elton John) has the best job in the world.

It reminds me of a funny story Carol King told about her early career when she was still unknown as an artist and writing hits for other people. She was in a New York deli when one of her songs came on. She said to the woman behind the counter "I wrote that song." The woman just gave her a dry look and said "Sure you did, honey."

Thanks Avery,

My idea had always been to just write songs and have much more talented people play and record them (I was always one of those nerds who checked the labels on vinyl records for the small print to see who actually wrote the song). Soon found out that if you want something done, you usually end up having to do most of it yourself though. I still like the idea of getting different people to add their unique skill sets to a work. In my most extreme musical fantasy I would probably just write lyrics (as it is where I feel most confident) and collaborate with musicians, singers, arrangers, orchestrators and producers. I'm one of those guys who think Bernie Taupin (silent songwriting partner to Elton John) has the best job in the world.

It reminds me of a funny story Carol King told about her early career when she was still unknown as an artist and writing hits for other people. She was in a New York deli when one of her songs came on. She said to the woman behind the counter "I wrote that song." The woman just gave her a dry look and said "Sure you did, honey."

[/q

I absolutely love it Neil, great song, great performance. Geting the mix right is truly an art, it is so easy to fill a track up with conflicting sound.

I do agree that covering other peoples songs is both a challenge and a complement and putting your own spin on it the best part of all.

I absolutely love it Neil, great song, great performance. Geting the mix right is truly an art, it is so easy to fill a track up with conflicting sound.

I do agree that covering other peoples songs is both a challenge and a complement and putting your own spin on it the best part of all.

Other people's songs?...msp_confused.gif

This is one of mine. smile.gif

Archived