Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES345 1972

Hi everyone,

Need an opinion from those,who had experience in this...

So there is Gibson ES345 1972,that seller offers to me for a good price.

I was able to get it to home for a test and discovered few strange things.

The tone itself is good. But by feel,the wood of the body and neck isn’t resonating,like it does on my Tele or Mustang (friend gave me his ES335 ’66 and it resonate how it supposed to,for example) + when I play this guitar,it feels like my hands are in plasticine or like guitar is overall “wet” (like it just came from tropic contries) - it doesnt affect the tone from speakers tho!

By the legend it hasn’t been played for decades (It was sold by collect in US to another non-playing collector ,where it spend next 4-5 years in the case) Could it be because of it hasn’t been played for a long time?

Second thing is that it have some kind of crack lookalike in the place of neck joint .I attached pictures. What I am trying to understand - if it was cracked and glued back together or it is just a finish cracks. It has “2” second on headstock,maybe its because of this cosmetic issue?...

post-83733-001325200 1485655804_thumb.jpg post-83733-006165200 1485655813_thumb.jpg post-83733-095919200 1485655924_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

No, this neck was not broken, or removed. This is simply the affects of neglect and poor storage, and the "fix-it" of a complete ******* idiot (even a 1/16" of wood glue provides no structural support).

The OP does not mention the selling price, which is of ultimate importance in ANY discussion of this nature. Is the guitar selling for $500, or $2000? Somewhere in between would probably be fair, on the low side of $1000. Guitars of this type and era were produced in the thousands. The figures for 345's in '72 were about 400. This was the heyday of Norlin era Gibson production. Add that number to the 335/355 production totals and you have a quantity of about 4000 instruments.

In 1973 Gibson guitar production seemed to have peaked for the era. With almost 800 345's built, and about 6000 ES-3XX's shipped.

It's not a big deal to pull this neck and re-glue it. It's not even a "reset" as so many people like to say around here. In fact, if the idiot hadn't squirted all that Elmer's Glue in there, it might have righted itself under proper environmental conditions.

Unless this guitar is selling in the $500-750, run away.

Archived