Gibson Guitar Board: Do Les Pauls Have Improving Tone With Age - Gibson Guitar Board

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Do Les Pauls Have Improving Tone With Age 2015 Les Paul Classic update

#61 User is offline   zigzag 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationCarolina

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:34 AM

I seriously doubt we have the ability to remember the exact sound of a guitar over even small time spans. It's like trying to remember exact shades of color. My impression of my guitar sounds changes daily.
"If you don't play 'em, what good are they?" -Mike Campbell

#62 User is offline   Megafrog 

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:52 PM

Could it be the change in humidity?

#63 User is offline   charlie brown 

• Lunatic Fringe

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:33 AM

You guys think too much! EC's tone is in his playing, his Gibson LP, and MARSHALL AMP, in
that clip! [biggrin] Gibson Les Paul's, SG's and ES-335's(+) and Marshall Amps, are a match
made in Heaven, IMHO. Of course, Strats can sound pretty awesome, through them, as well! [thumbup]

My "tone" changed, dramatically, when I got my own Marshall amp! My playing, improved as
well, as I was (somehow) more "inspired," when I got my Marshall Amp! So, to me, the biggest
"tone" changer was the amp, not (any) guitar. They all have their slight tonal differences,
but amps have made more significant changes to "my" (raw=without pedals) tonal capabilities,
than any of my guitars, beyond their normal differences=strat vs LP vs ES, vs Ric, vs Gretsch,
etc., etc., etc.!

Carry on, my wayward sons! [biggrin]

CB

#64 User is offline   SteveFord 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPennsyltucky

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:57 PM

That makes me think of that Jimi Hendrix line about he plays the amplifier, not the guitar.

One thing a Marshall Stack will make you do is practice like crazy until you get good. The whole world can hear your mistakes if you make any.
The poodle bites, the poodle chews it

#65 User is offline   MichaelT 

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:35 AM

View PostSteveFord, on 13 March 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

One thing a Marshall Stack will make you do is practice like crazy until you get good. The whole world can hear your mistakes if you make any.

Amen to that!

#66 User is offline   Roach 

• Advanced Member

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:30 PM

View Postcharlie brown, on 13 March 2017 - 10:33 AM, said:

You guys think too much! EC's tone is in his playing, his Gibson LP, and MARSHALL AMP, in
that clip! [biggrin] Gibson Les Paul's, SG's and ES-335's(+) and Marshall Amps, are a match
made in Heaven, IMHO. Of course, Strats can sound pretty awesome, through them, as well! [thumbup]

My "tone" changed, dramatically, when I got my own Marshall amp! My playing, improved as
well, as I was (somehow) more "inspired," when I got my Marshall Amp! So, to me, the biggest
"tone" changer was the amp, not (any) guitar. They all have their slight tonal differences,
but amps have made more significant changes to "my" (raw=without pedals) tonal capabilities,
than any of my guitars, beyond their normal differences=strat vs LP vs ES, vs Ric, vs Gretsch,
etc., etc., etc.!

Carry on, my wayward sons! [biggrin]

CB

Charlie Brown Which Marshall amp did you get?
Posted Image
2015 Les Paul Studio (MM)
2000 Les Paul Special w/hums

Year? Ibanez RG120
Yamaha FS-311 7/8ths scale Acoustic

Line 6 Spyder IV 15
Danelectro HT50 in Nifty Fifty cab
Digitech RP-50
Focusrite Scarlett Solo PC USB interface
SM-57 Mic

#67 User is offline   jaxson50 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:44 PM

Odd nobody has mentioned the deterioration of the magnets in the pickup as a guitar ages. Or the fact that old 50s guitars used wiring that would degrade as well, after all, these are electric guitars.Unplugged solid bodies all sound the same, like planks..
  • Yogi Berra - "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it."

#68 User is offline   cody78 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationEngland

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

Funny thing about many musicians is that they claim they can hear the most ridiculous subtle changes in various instruments, but has anyone ever thought that most of these players hearing is shot from years of dangerous noise levels. Most older musicians can't hear any high frequencies and have bad tinnitus. Makes me question the experts in the industry as they probably lost any sense of high frequencies back in the 60's & 70's [laugh]

Does a Les Paul's tone improve with age? Nope is my verdict and neither does your hearing!

#69 User is offline   pippy 

• LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:09 PM

View Postjaxson50, on 18 March 2017 - 01:44 PM, said:

Odd nobody has mentioned the deterioration of the magnets in the pickup as a guitar ages. Or the fact that old 50s guitars used wiring that would degrade as well, after all, these are electric guitars.Unplugged solid bodies all sound the same, like planks..

Unusually I have to disagree with you on this occasion, Jax.
Unplugged a Les Paul (for instance) most certainly does not sound like a Strat (for instance). Nothing even remotely like it, in fact.

And magnets deteriorating?
According to the VP of one of the last guitar magnet foundries in the U.S.A.;
"The chance of it ageing?...it will but you are talking about miniscule amounts....The National Laboratories have studied this and we are talking about 0.1% over a decade! Basically if we had a magnet that had been sitting in a box since 1967 we wouldn't expect it to be any different today than on the day it was made."

Pip.

#70 User is offline   Searcy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationNashville

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:22 PM

I've posted this before but...

Posted Image

#71 User is offline   pippy 

• LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:07 PM

WOW!

So if I read that right the 2001 has a reading of 262.7 (bushells?) and the '61 has a reading of -262.6 (chains?) which makes for a difference of 525.3 (furlongs?)
In all seriousness I can't say I'm even remotely surprised by the (lack of a) difference.

Posted Image

Pip.

#72 User is offline   rct 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouthern New Jersey

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:29 PM

View PostSearcy, on 19 March 2017 - 03:22 PM, said:

I've posted this before but...

Posted Image

Thanks for putting this up Mr. Searcy. Whenever I tell people this they get mad at me.

rct

#73 User is offline   jaxson50 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:43 PM

Can you test the volume and tone dials and the switches and the wiring?
  • Yogi Berra - "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it."

#74 User is offline   jaxson50 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

So here is what I visualize, a cartoon figure who looks vaguely like the typical hard rocker standing in front of a wall of amps, at his feet a bank of pedals, A Fuzzface, three Phazers, two compressors, an auto whaa three boosters and Crybaby a rotor pedal that plays backwards, two tape delays etc...His LP is dangling from his shoulder almost hitting his kneecaps, and he leans into the mic and says to his sound guy,

Wow, this old LP really sounds mellow man........must be the wood!

#75 User is offline   jaxson50 

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:05 PM

#76 User is offline   MichaelT 

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:06 AM

View Postjaxson50, on 20 March 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

These go to 11...

I love that bit. Such a great movie.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked