Gibson Brands Forums

Does adjusting saddle height affect neck relief?

mz-s

Folks,

I did a rough setup on my J-15 when it first came in (just tightened the truss rod to remove a little neck relief - not even 1/8 a turn - I'm pretty sure Gibson sends them out slack so there's less tension on things in shipping), and just did a more thorough setup on it the other day after having it for about 5 months. Action from the factory was around 100 thousands on the low E, I lowered it to around 80 thousandths. Didn't have to touch the nut slots, and all the frets are level with each other.

Today I noticed that my neck relief got much more extreme, on the level of 15-20 thousands from the 8-10 thousands it was before. I didn't touch the truss rod during my saddle adjustment the other day, as it was adjusted to my liking when I did the rough setup - around 8 thousands of relief.

Does adjusting the saddle height affect neck relief? My concern is the amount of change seems pretty extreme just from lowering the saddle a bit. No humidity changes or anything like that - it's all monitored and has been consistent. Same strings, same everything as before - just a lowered saddle. I did apply a bit more truss rod adjustment, so we're up to maybe 1/4 - 1/3 total turn on the nut.

ya.. necks are pre tensioned.. careful not to tighten to much.. it will split right down the back of the neck.. or break the trussrod.. Im one not to touch trussrods.. I would not take the risk.. the trussrod has some affect when you first turn the nut.. but how much will it proceed even with a tweek over a period of time.. now it has tension..

for the most part.. its cheap to get a luthier to set it up.. and if its not done right.. they can do it again..

In theory, neck relief is independent of saddle height....

Perception may vary if other factors come into play...

Purely personal view....an acoustic guitar needs some neck relief to allow free tone-producing string vibration....

IMO many guitar owners over-mess with their truss rods....I have been there and back.....:blink:

Most guitars' woods will settle/change over a period of time from new....up to many years on....

In addition there are the ambient conditions where the guitar resides....temp/humidity etc

V

:-({|=

In my experience adjusting the saddle height does not affect neck relief. I lowered the saddle on my Dove and it was fine and I also adjusted the truss rod a couple of times for slightly less relief. I think their is a common misconception about it being easy to damage truss rods. The only Gibson I've adjusted is my Dove (as none of the others needed it) and I have adjusted a few Epiphone electrics. I've never had a problem. Just don't overtighten or move in large turns and they are fine. A repairman would have to move a truss rod somehow if needed, but seems a lot of people think they should not be moved at any cost! If you don't feel happy doing it don't, but truss rod adjustments are not as scary as people make them out to be. Seems people think if they move it 1/4 of a turn the neck will crack and the rod will fly out haha!

Thanks all. I'm not scared of adjusting the truss rod. I have more sense than to go at it with an impact driver. Small adjustments at a time until I get to where I need to be. As I said, we're up to maybe 1/4 to 1/3 total turn on the rod since I got the guitar in August so it's not like I've turned the thing 6 times.

I just thought it was weird that lowering the saddle seemed to affect neck relief. Must have been a crazy coincidence as kid blast said. I'll continue to monitor neck relief over the coming days.

It shouldn't change relief at all when lowering the saddle. Sounds like a guitar just 'settling in'. I also adjust truss rods and though I don't do it often I've cranked on dozens of guitars, even added washers, lubed and done other things to get things right. It's part of owning a guitar to me, you just need some knowledge & a bit of care.

Archived