Gibson Brands Forums

My first carved top... Oiling Started

Rabs

So today I did my first ever carved top.. More PRS than LP but im pretty happy with it.. I did it with an angle grinder and sander.

I did post this in the D.I.Y thread so if you want to see how I did it go look there.. But wanted more opinions from you experts as I don't know how many people look at that thread (ive been posting my latest build in there)..

This is only the forth time ive ever attempted this.. the third time being today too when I did a test... Still needs some fine sanding and some shaping around the horns (which I will do by hand)...

Whad you think?

DSC_0117_zpssg4hdvqy.jpg

DSC_0118_zpsdbffhvel.jpg

DSC_0120_zpsv2ido0lk.jpg

DSC_0126_zpsagdi7op9.jpg

And with different lighting (cos its hard to photo)

DSC_0130_zpsjyw9y90v.jpg

DSC_0131_zpswjo8phgg.jpg

:)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should look good Rabs!

Dumb@ss non-luthier question - if that's all carved into the one piece of wood (it doesn't look like a cap) how will you manage and then hide the routings for the electrics?

When I do a non cap body I drill the holes with a really long bit and go through the input jack hole to do it :)

Like so.... (the blue tape is a depth stop ;))

DSC_0715_zpswcxt0z4h.jpg

DSC_0717_zpsupj7hhvl.jpg

Makes sense. [thumbup]

(Though I'm sure I would screw up the 'upwards' angle without a special jig and bench drill [laugh])

Yup.. Been there done that [rolleyes]

Its just like anything else.. You just got to physically do it a few times...

I like it but personally I would want the transition smoother.

Well im going to go at it a bit more by hand tomorrow... But the more I look at the pics the more I like it :) We will see what happens tomorrow.

I like it but personally I would want the transition smoother.

I'm a bit in the middle as in I really like the distinct 'line' from the lower horn back as far as, say, level with the front edge of where the bridge p'up would be but then I'd gradually smooth-off the plateau-edge rearwards until the centre-back where it would be a very smooth, continuous ogee curve a la Les Paul.

Very Nice lump of wood, Rabs!

msp_thumbup.gif

Looking forward to the progress.

Pip.

Cheers man...

And yes I keep looking at it and am going back and fourth about it ... When I do something like this I really like to take a step back and examine it and let the idea settle as it were before I make a final decision....

The thing is, slightly annoyingly, where the back end of the carve goes down theres a black line right at that point and its kind of exaggerating the separation between where the carve ends and starts.. When you actually feel it, the transition feels pretty smooth...

So I will continue to look at it tonight and tomorrow I will go back at it with sandpaper and get it ultra smooth.. Or I may just leave it and finish the horns off.. All part of the fun :)

And that's the thing.. Although I love a nice LP carve, I really want to be doing my own thing so if I can find a cool style that differs all the better :)

So today I did my first ever carved top.. More PRS than LP but im pretty happy with it.. I did it with an angle grinder and sander.

I did post this in the D.I.Y thread so if you want to see how I did it go look there.. But wanted more opinions from you experts as I don't know how many people look at that thread (ive been posting my latest build in there)..

This is only the forth time ive ever attempted this.. the third time being today too when I did a test... Still needs some fine sanding and some shaping around the horns (which I will do by hand)...

Whad you think?

DSC_0117_zpssg4hdvqy.jpg

DSC_0118_zpsdbffhvel.jpg

DSC_0120_zpsv2ido0lk.jpg

DSC_0126_zpsagdi7op9.jpg

And with different lighting (cos its hard to photo)

DSC_0130_zpsjyw9y90v.jpg

DSC_0131_zpswjo8phgg.jpg

:)

That looks neat... I see you covered up your plate?

I'm a bit in the middle as in I really like the distinct 'line' from the lower horn back as far as, say, level with the front edge of where the bridge p'up would be but then I'd gradually smooth-off the plateau-edge rearwards until the centre-back where it would be a very smooth, continuous ogee curve a la Les Paul.

Very Nice lump of wood, Rabs!

Looking forward to the progress.

Pip.

Ok so here we go... I did some smoothing out.. But too that soon..

First I did a quick dress up to check for the positions of hardware and control (roughly) and I came up with either this

DSC_0092_zpsm0sffsji.jpg

OR possibly (it will be a bit more work and a bit more risk) this

DSC_0093_zpsxzvxkldk.jpg

Then time for the binding. White layer

DSC_0099_zps96rvt3hv.jpg

Black

DSC_0106_zpswppbjwy9.jpg

DSC_0113_zpsfl1odyfn.jpg

You can probably see a small lip on the top edge on the above pics.. but I did that on purpose since its better to leave it proud by a mm or so and sand it down than chance going over the line cos once the wood is gone, its gone.

So here I have sanded it all flush and following Pippys advice (and some of the others on here) I have taken the back carve down a bit so its way more subtle... Hard to take a pic of this but see if you can see it

DSC_0124_zps1f9celpq.jpg

DSC_0127_zpsm7jfb89p.jpg

DSC_0142_zpsdhjyzn1x.jpg

DSC_0155_zpsk6s5cs2b.jpg

DSC_0157_zpsqpf0cori.jpg

Looks good. You could also dish it down a bit as it goes out to the edges and back up to the edge. To give it a little carve up to the edge.

Cheers... I was actually having the same thoughts :) I will check it tomorrow. [thumbup]

Great job Rabs! [thumbup] You have more patience than I do my friend. I kind of liked the "plateau top". That could be your signature axe Bro :o

I did not see a reference to what type of wood this is. Please share! Thanks Rabs! Keep up the great work! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Great job Rabs! [thumbup] You have more patience than I do my friend. I kind of liked the "plateau top". That could be your signature axe Bro :o

I did not see a reference to what type of wood this is. Please share! Thanks Rabs! Keep up the great work! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Limba also known as Korina.. In this case Black Korina :)

Archived