Gibson Brands Forums

My first carved top... Oiling Started

Rabs

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a good tone wood there Rabs. Again my hats off to you Sir. I do not have your patience [smile]

Haha... well so they say.. Korina is known as a super mahogany and this stuff is a nice hardness... so yeah I reckon for what difference it makes it will be a good sounding guitar.. not only that but for this build I have bought a Burstbucker Pro for the bridge and a SD Phat Cat P90 for the neck...

So yeah, im really looking forward to this one too.. In fact I said to a friend, if for whatever reason I don't ever manage to sell it, this guitar will be mine :) I have in general not really made my guitars for me.. some have a way fatter neck than I like BUT I do that cos I know some people love fat necks this one im making to my preferred specs.

Heres a slightly better before and after of where I smoothed out the carve near the back end...

DSC_0131_zps8sbgn90t.jpg

DSC_0091_zps9gfldrcr.jpg

Looks much better. As for the controls positions, I vote for the PU selector at the top near the horn, sim to the Les Paul. For me, PU selecting is easier in that position because I can do it with the strumming motion of my right hand.

Heres a slightly better before and after of where I smoothed out the carve near the back end...

DSC_0131_zps8sbgn90t.jpg

DSC_0091_zps9gfldrcr.jpg

Looks much better. As for the controls positions, I vote for the PU selector at the top near the horn, sim to the Les Paul. For me, PU selecting is easier in that position because I can do it with the strumming motion of my right hand.

Thought id update this thread (even though theres more detail in the DIY thread)...

Did the control cavity.. And went with the switch next to the vol controls... Had to make my own design and template for this

DSC_0146_zpsohdchjox.jpg

All fits in nicely as planned :)

DSC_0153_zpskcyaby7n.jpg

Sorted

DSC_0155_zps9sciafrm.jpg

Then to clean the body down and check for scratched and anything that may need cleaning up, but also to show that top grain (gives you an idea of what it will look like with some finish)... So heres a few pics of that.. And even if I do say so myself.. Hubba Hubba :D

DSC_0159_zps4vmjddlc.jpg

DSC_0166_zpssexhpwqa.jpg

DSC_0170_zpsz2dnonw5.jpg

More very soon :)

It does look good Rabs if I may say so. Personally I like the toggle switch up on the horn in your 2nd photo. But that's just me. Some players might like it below for easy access while strumming. But then again you build to each persons taste so just have fun and I'd like to see it finished too.

It does look good Rabs if I may say so. Personally I like the toggle switch up on the horn in your 2nd photo. But that's just me. Some players might like it below for easy access while strumming. But then again you build to each persons taste so just have fun and I'd like to see it finished too.

Cheers... Well its done now... I can always make another one as you say... :)

It should look something like this (obviously with different grain and different shaped horns) but you get the idea

Imoihohjgage3_zpsl10chcgi.jpg

I have posted more detail in the DIY thread if anyone wants to know a bit more... But for anyone not looking at that thread but checking this one (not sure how I ended up with two going at once? :unsure: )I thought id put a couple of pics up here too...

So there was an issue with that first neck (see DIY thread for more) so I had to do another one [thumbdn] But on the plus side this one has much nicer grain so [thumbup] (swings and roundabouts)

Heres the new one

DSC_0151_zpslkagrhmg.jpg

DSC_0150_zpshnxlh0w9.jpg

And now neck and body are one :D

DSC_0180_zps1euccloc.jpg

DSC_0182_zpsxgn3nqqe.jpg

DSC_0189_zpsict4rrhi.jpg

DSC_0193_zpsesgd82zt.jpg

Almost there :D Next I will route and drill all the body holes, then lots of fine sanding.. Then I can finish it [thumbup]

The 'board on the replacement neck is gorgeous, Rabs! What type of wood is it? I had a look through the DIY thread as well but couldn't find it mentioned.

Looking Great all-round!

Pip.

Fretboard is rosewood.... Comes from Korea I think.

And yes im looking into getting certification for it which apparently the supplier is getting..

Excellent and interesting thread going on here.....[thumbup]

This question may have been asked already

How much will the finished guitar weigh...?

Y'all include the varnish too.....dry.gif

V

:-({|=

Hopefully no more than 10lbs.... Weighs 7 at the moment but theres still some wood to come off the neck... I will be happy with 9lbs... I think that's about the perfect weight... A few pounds lighter and it can feel like a toy, heavier and obviously back ache ahoy.

So heres the latest.

Bridge and pickup holes done

DSC_0121_zpsioapsxak.jpg

DSC_0123_zps9ndw0aiu.jpg

Tuner holes

DSC_0140_zps9gaxdxkt.jpg

Started doing the neck profile too..

DSC_0131_zpskvyjuf9i.jpg

Control holes

DSC_0150_zpsz8jwiqwf.jpg

Really getting there now...

DSC_0154_zpsxq3m0112.jpg

And yes at the mo. It weighs 7lbs exactly...

DSC_0156_zpsox8hztpg.jpg

Clean toilet!!!

Guitar is coming along nicely

Cleanest I've seen in a while - and I've seen a few [thumbup]

(a bit square though)

Guitar would look cool in a yellow stain (no pun intended) - it's got great grain for a tiger-stripe effect.

Cleanest I've seen in a while - and I've seen a few [thumbup]

(a bit square though)

Guitar would look cool in a yellow stain (no pun intended) - it's got great grain for a tiger-stripe effect.

Lol..

Well I will be finishing it with Tru Oil which does have a slight amber tint and usually goes really well with natural wood colours....

Cant wait :)

Archived