Gibson Brands Forums

My first carved top... Oiling Started

Rabs

Just wanted to say for anyone watching... I wont be finishing this until next week now... I wanted to try and get it ready for the guitar show at the weekend but its just not going to happen (I am thinking about taking it along to show people anyway?) and the last thing you want to do at this point is start rushing things (cos that's when it goes wrong).... It is frustrating cos I want to see it so bad, but you gotta do these things properly.

So im sure I will be a bit quiet until a couple of days after the show.. THEN I will get some oil on this baby :)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The very best of Good Fortune for you at the show, Rabs!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Thank you sir... Heres hoping. Ive been told many times by several different people to expect not to sell anything at the actual show but its for meeting people and showing my stuff off.. So im really looking forward to it.. I have experience with shows and know roughly what to expect. This time its over two days though so im sure im gonna be knackered by the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Yay...

Finally got back to this build today after all the excitement of the show and the some personal stuff ive been dealing with the last few weeks... (my dads been doing radio therapy treatment)... but that's all going ok as these things can...

Anyways...

So theres something I hadn't quite considered... Two of the holes for my controls are right on the hump of the carve... Which means that the nuts wont sit flush on the top.

DSC_2072_zps29sns2lr.jpg

I went at that area a bit and hey presto :)

DSC_2075_zpspvfdclsp.jpg

It means ive changed the shape in that area slightly but im ok with it, once the hardware is on you will see less of that area anyway.. But still needs some finishing by hand

DSC_2077_zpscy5viwwp.jpg

DSC_2080_zps6uzzbxjr.jpg

Then I sanded down the top and got rid of all the small scratches it picks up along the way which I do with my orbital sander and some 400 grit paper

DSC_2081_zpsluk6l0nw.jpg

DSC_2084_zps43hhpajv.jpg

Then to the neck.. I got it to where it felt right and then used the callipers to check the consistency of the taper down the neck

DSC_2098_zpszsk7hvtk.jpg

DSC_2100_zpsujocvqsb.jpg

DSC_2101_zpsgjxc11gs.jpg

All sorted :)

DSC_2103_zpseio8pis1.jpg

So there we are... So close now but im not in any real rush apart from I cant wait to see it with some oil on.. But that will be soon enough now.. More very soon :)

DSC_2086_zpsprcehhpa.jpg

DSC_2110_zpscdiw5mds.jpg

DSC_2113_zpslefblxoi.jpg

Are you intending to give it a McCarty-style combined tail-piece/bridge (or improved version thereof), Rabs? A la '53 Les Paul ?

Looking stunning so far!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Thanks man.. :)

Yes... This is the one I have for this build.

s-l16d00_zpsotpspo7e.jpg

It should look something (roughly) like this by the end

Imoihohjgage1_zpsaa3rbyq0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Horaahhh....

Oiling finally got started today...

All smooth and ready.. Sanded up to 600 grit

DSC_2126_zpsqkabssqu.jpg

And here will follow a bunch of shots..

DSC_2129_zps2s7cmui2.jpg

DSC_2131_zpsubfkzfoo.jpg

DSC_2132_zpsofjhyiia.jpg

DSC_2134_zpsuvv1kpqm.jpg

DSC_2139_zpsakuzhjxb.jpg

DSC_2143_zpsojg01qkk.jpg

DSC_2144_zps3q4doxqi.jpg

DSC_2145_zpsh0aed08k.jpg

DSC_2150_zpskqkhxwev.jpg

So there we are... Finally :) Loving it so far, cant wait to see the back and neck oiled tomorrow.. More then [thumbup]

Grain looks great. Looks like two of the pots will be a bit higher than the others due to the carve. Are you planning to make those the vol/tone for the neck pup like a normal Gibson layout? Might think about making them the volumes (which get used more than the tones at least on my guitars).

Grain looks great. Looks like two of the pots will be a bit higher than the others due to the carve. Are you planning to make those the vol/tone for the neck pup like a normal Gibson layout? Might think about making them the volumes (which get used more than the tones at least on my guitars).

Cheers guys.. Yes its a nice chunk of wood there :)

And well I reckon I will just keep the same layout as people expect... Kind of tried and trusted.. Don't want to confuse people :) Im using long shaft pots for the humpy area...

This is just so cool to watch.

I love your ambition and effort.

You are one patient and imaginative man!

When you finish, will you plug it, record it and let us hear?

And yes.. Of course I will do a demo.. I think if I were watching id be disappointed if I didn't get to hear it at the end... And this guitar has the most expensive pickups ive ever bought yet a Gibson Burstbucker Pro for the bridge and a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat which is like a humbucker sized P90.. So this REALLY should be great.. Korina has a good rep as a nice sounding wood too (for what ever that is worth ;)).

Your work is nothing short of spectacular. What a beauty WOWOWOW!!!!!!

Such kind praise.. Thank you :)

I feel the wood itself is a big part of this.. It really is a beautiful slab of wood. I have a couple of really nice slabs of African Walnut for my next builds.. I reckon I may do a similar thing to them that I have done on this build... Even though in saying that I have a spalted maple top that im dying to use too but is not thick enough to take a carve so would have to be a flat top (and I think I want to make more carved tops first). We will see, decisions decisions :)

Latest pics of the back...

Never worked with Korina before.. But its taking the oil really well.. This is only the third coat.. Probably wont need too many more. Then the really exciting bit.. Putting it all together :) (well after the boring buffing stage that is).

DSC_2155_zpswkp89lf9.jpg

DSC_2156_zpsjwzpb0fz.jpg

DSC_2159_zpsd0lpst60.jpg

DSC_2160_zpsund1icxi.jpg

DSC_2163_zpsl3t1691h.jpg

DSC_2164_zpsejtdgf3q.jpg

• 1 month later...

So I finally got back to this project today.

I have to admit I found some tiny tiny scratches on the top that I some how missed (it happens) so that had to get sanded back today but it was quick and easy. Kind of helps the process in a way as when I sand it back like this it kind of acts as a grain filler so no worries.

Heres the top

DSC_2183_zpsu1ge9nvb.jpg

And heres the back which is looking good. Only three coats

DSC_2185_zpswilkyo3h.jpg

DSC_2186_zpsu44wnfkm.jpg

DSC_2187_zpsitc9iemb.jpg

DSC_2189_zpsjylqyfzm.jpg

DSC_2190_zpswegydud5.jpg

Seeing this WIP of yours is really good to watch develop. [thumbup]

and I'd love to try one of your guitars someday.

That can be arranged :)

And cheers. This is probably the most pretty one ive made yet thanks to that beautiful wood so I cant wait to get it finished.

that's really looking all kinds of awesome Rabs!

Nice work!

Thank you sir...

With this build however. I have been told by a few people that having the grain in the orientation I decided on that they are worried that the vibrations from the neck may not be as sympathetic as it would if it were the usual way around.

I however am hopeful since none of the people who have told me this have actually tried it.. My feeling is it wont make much difference at all..

We will all soon see :D

Archived