Gibson Brands Forums

My first carved top... Oiling Started

Rabs

Thank you sir...

With this build however. I have been told by a few people that having the grain in the orientation I decided on that they are worried that the vibrations from the neck may not be as sympathetic as it would if it were the usual way around.

I however am hopeful since none of the people who have told me this have actually tried it.. My feeling is it wont make much difference at all..

We will all soon see :D

I seriously doubt that, but it would be interesting to me to see how this type of guitar breaks compared to one with straight grain. Logic would indicate that the body with perpendicular grain will break much more easily.

If you take a wide, narrow piece of wood where the grain is perpendicular to the long side, it will break super easily, if you take the same size piece of wood with the grain parallel to the long side it is much stronger.

With the top glued on and the neck sandwiched in there, I suspect it will be fine. With no top, I'd be worried about the neck joint for sure

The finish and everything is looking really cool so far mang. Just got my Tru Oil yesterday so I may be jumping on that bandwagon soon

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seriously doubt that, but it would be interesting to me to see how this type of guitar breaks compared to one with straight grain. Logic would indicate that the body with perpendicular grain will break much more easily.

If you take a wide, narrow piece of wood where the grain is perpendicular to the long side, it will break super easily, if you take the same size piece of wood with the grain parallel to the long side it is much stronger.

With the top glued on and the neck sandwiched in there, I suspect it will be fine. With no top, I'd be worried about the neck joint for sure

The finish and everything is looking really cool so far mang. Just got my Tru Oil yesterday so I may be jumping on that bandwagon soon

Hmmm.. You talking about.. Breaking my guitars :o :)

Well I do keep my pockets fairly thick.. I see some neck pockets where it seems to be like 5mm thickness.. Mine are more like 10-15mm of back wood behind the joint.

I donno... I think it will be fine still :) Plus I have some extra heal before the neck heal starts so theres a bit of extra support there.. Unlike say on a DC Special where the heal butts right up to the body...

grain at right angles affects resonance? [mellow]

My old practice guitar was made of plywood (Washburn G5V). Can you imagine how convoluted the vibrations got in there?

or maybe thats where the harmonics came from...? [wink]

Well exactly.. People have mentioned it just as a side thought.. I did indeed think about it myself before hand and my only thought was, well im going to try it and find out for sure.

I personally don't think its going to be an issue at all.. So it will be interesting to see what the same peoples reactions are when this is finished. My prediction is that it will sound like an electric guitar :D [flapper]

People also said some similar things to me when I made my half and half.. Ohh don't do that, it will warp and never be stable.. Well a year or so later and its still perfect. So it shows that regardless of what people say, even when I understand why they are saying it I will just do what I want cos you really never know till you try :)

I dunno,, interesting comment on the grain structure, I have a hunch it wont matter much. (as a reminder, just look for the video on the cardboard strat!! [thumbup] )

but one question, it just looks HEAVY... how do you recon the weight will be once all the hardware is loaded in?

I dunno,, interesting comment on the grain structure, I have a hunch it wont matter much. (as a reminder, just look for the video on the cardboard strat!! [thumbup] )

but one question, it just looks HEAVY... how do you recon the weight will be once all the hardware is loaded in?

Hmm. Not too bad at the moment.. I weighed it today for you :) 6.5lbs

DSC_2183_zpseopamkni.jpg

Before my next update post (done the decal today but photobucket is being a pain) I thought this may be of interest to wood working types..

You all know I use tru oil.. LOVE it.. But it is a bit thick and can be a bit hard to get a nice flat finish... I saw a vid not so long ago with a guy who thins it down with white spirits so I tried it out today...

Did this short vid that shows all

Also did the decal today...

So first cut it roughly to shape

DSC_2186_zpsheidp1wt.jpg

These are my tools

DSC_2188_zpsxdaxghgy.jpg

This solution softens the decal slightly and helps it to set

DSC_2189_zpslfysfwsz.jpg

DSC_2190_zps86ug6mpv.jpg

Then you drop the decal in warm water for about 30 seconds

DSC_2191_zpspg1zrbkm.jpg

Then you slide it on VERY carefully.. Cos of the solution you get a short while to position it properly

DSC_2192_zpsnnvpovkg.jpg

DSC_2193_zps5lrdjfpi.jpg

Then I use a cotton bud to gently roll along the top of the decal making sure its flat

DSC_2196_zpssxgkmmge.jpg

DSC_2200_zpsvimx1aq0.jpg

DSC_2206_zpslidtmvtn.jpg

More below :)

Then because im finishing with oil I use a clear coat spray to cover the decal or the oil will disintegrate it

DSC_2207_zps3hgvhbhj.jpg

Just a thin coat is fine

DSC_2208_zpsegekmou2.jpg

Then once that was dry the first coat of oil goes on.. After this I can add the further coats safely

DSC_2216_zpswjdgdsie.jpg

So that's all done.. And heres the latest on the body

DSC_2222_zps3orgcl1g.jpg

DSC_2223_zps4ujrbezs.jpg

DSC_2224_zps81gm7d4e.jpg

DSC_2229_zps7wdacq4x.jpg

DSC_2236_zpsnm2z5uo3.jpg

:)

Rabs I see you mentioned spraying the decal

Can you put lacquer over the Tru Oil? I guess you just need to rough up the oil finish with 220 before lacquer?

Actually yes it works fine.. But in this case what I did was sand the headstock back after 2 coats.. So it means the grain is mostly filled and its all flat.Ive done it before by putting the decal on before I did the first coats and it made the decal bumpy as it sinks into the grain a bit. But yeah they seem to go over each other easy enough.

And here is the latest...

Almost done now.. Its looking how I like it.. Shiny enough that it sparkles in certain light yet thin enough that you can still see and feel the wood grain.. The best of both worlds in my book :)

So see this pic how in the light its shiny but at the bottom end of the body you can still see the grain

DSC_2183_zps05xlvj5n.jpg

These pics show the grain a bit better

DSC_2201_zpsyb5cy99a.jpg

DSC_2203_zpskcb9yyv3.jpg

And the rest of the back

DSC_2191_zpskgyaei24.jpg

DSC_2200_zpsslt8bhug.jpg

DSC_2206_zpsa6cdaicl.jpg

Almost done :)

And here is the latest...

Almost done now.. Its looking how I like it.. Shiny enough that it sparkles in certain light yet thin enough that you can still see and feel the wood grain.. The best of both worlds in my book :)

So see this pic how in the light its shiny but at the bottom end of the body you can still see the grain

DSC_2183_zps05xlvj5n.jpg

These pics show the grain a bit better

DSC_2201_zpsyb5cy99a.jpg

DSC_2203_zpskcb9yyv3.jpg

And the rest of the back

DSC_2191_zpskgyaei24.jpg

DSC_2200_zpsslt8bhug.jpg

DSC_2206_zpsa6cdaicl.jpg

Almost done :)

Lookin good Rabs. I don't like to feel the grain personally but that looks great, the neck looks smooth as

It's looking better and better, Rabs!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Thank you sir.. yes im very happy with it.. Even to the point of im thinking of keeping it for myself, its got a nice slim neck, just what I like and will have a Gibson and a Seymour Duncan for its pups.. so it should sound and play as good as it looks

Even though obviously that will kind of defeat my own purposes (I guess I can always just build another one).. And ive had serious interest on this guitar from a few people... and one of them actually said he is interested as long as the grain going the other way doesn't effect the tone or sustain :rolleyes: (which im still sure it wont, but I guess I could be wrong).

Its going to look even better when all the hardware is on :)

Ok, heres the last shots before I finally finish this build..

Put shielding in. Buffed it a bit.... All that's left is the fret job... and then all the hardware goes on :)

DSC_2187_zpsbec2hn6g.jpg

DSC_2189_zps1kebjspu.jpg

DSC_2200_zpsqv1kyjso.jpg

DSC_2215_zpsudy1hwi3.jpg

DSC_2226_zps71zlmncq.jpg

DSC_2232_zpsthasasme.jpg

DSC_2234_zpsmwh7jtb1.jpg

DSC_2238_zpsa4g9x2vn.jpg

More very soon.. Hopefully including a small demo :)

Archived