Gibson Brands Forums

Ambitions and regrets?

Lars68

Friends, I think it would be interesting to know a little more about your ambitions, and perhaps regrets, within this hobby. We are quite a diverse group, so some may strive for winning their first Grammy, while others hope to learn their first couple of cowboy chords. Also, do you have any regrets, like past opportunities missed or bad habits never corrected?

As for me, my main goal is to learn to sing in tune. Everything else pales in comparison. Singing has been and still is a struggle for me, and I'm not sure I can pull it off. Another goal of mine is to write at least one song that is undenieably good, even if I don't manage to perform it very well. The next step would be to be able to perform for friends and family, and in a very distant, and uncertain future, be able to do small coffee shop style gigs.

Of course, I intend to have fun trying, not matter what happens...

As for regrets, I wish I had been involved in some kind of musical activity as a youngster. Learning as an adult is fun, but very though.

Oh, and one more thing, I once had a Martin D-18GE I should not have sold [biggrin]

Lars

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ambitions.. the older I get, the lower the bar is At 59, I'm far less ambitious about working/gigging than 20/25 years ago.

I've gigged a lot, performed at many events, had a lot of fun, learned about about myself, and my limits, and written recorded a bunch of songs. I've done most of what I needed to do here.

Regrets... just that I may have gigged too much as younger man and my (awesome) wife was left home on weekends taking care of the kids. I missed a lot of time with them that I realized much later, I could never get back. The money was good back then, and there were times when we needed it, but turns out, the time I used up doing this, was even more valuable than I could imagine)

My only regret, guitar-wise is that I didn't begin at a younger age (like 9 or 10). And even in my early 20's I was living in the summers in a remote cabin that would have allowed me lots of time to play. Fortunately it had a huge library so I read a lot of books instead back then. As for ambitions I can't really come up with any other than to continue to play every day. I have faith that if I, or anyone, does that you can't help but get better. The guys I play with twice a week have a tradition after ending any song we do particularly well with a, "We'll be famous" comment which gets a laugh every time. Besides, being famous anymore means you probably have to have a bodyguard in attendance. No thanks.

In regards to music, I wish I'd taken it more seriously when I was in high school, but back then playing folk songs on the school steps with pretty girls hanging-around was the "top of the world" for me. Certainly, there are guitars I regret selling, but can't do anything about it now. "Spilt milk," "water under the bridge" and so on. It's life: an on-going process with lessons along every road. Wish I hadn't been an OTR trucker for so long. My wife went with me a lot, but I still missed a lot. Driving a large truck down the interstate with 60,000+lbs of freight behind while your listening to Johnny Cash and Merle Haggard CDs fits well with the kind of romantic legend that tends to be part of the truck driving world, but when it's Christmas Eve and you're 3 days from home, it's bullcrap. You can't ever get that time back, but that applies to good and bad things. All I can do is make the very best of the time since then and I think I've done that to a high degree. Regrets are just sad memories. You can't forget them, but you can move on. ..... In the whole scheme of things, the guitars I wish I still had mean literally nothing. The truly great things (family, great friends) now in my life make the fun things more fun and make the regrets faded memories that I can deal with. So, no regrets that I lose sleep over. In one-way-or-another we make our own choices. How good those choices are go a long ways in determining our good luck and bad luck. At 69 I've learned to focus more on the positive and it's a lot more fun. It's kind of like that old Sinatra song---Regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention.

I very much would like to play at least a couple of shows this year doing a full set my original songs with the band I've pulled together, primarily so that my great friend of 30 years (on drums) can have his first ever experience of playing live. After starting late at over 40 and playing out for 2 or 3 years, since then I haven't gigged for 18 months and honestly don't miss it, but I'd love to see the grin on his face at the end of a show or two. Hopefully this will happen after a few more rehearsals! [smile]

Any regrets re guitar would seem trite in the greater scheme of things so I'll pass, but thanks anyway.

"Ambitions" at my age, are just to keep playing, everyday, to keep my mildly (so far) arthritic fingers limbered up.

"Regrets," taking a 30 year "hiatus" from playing much, at all! [crying] But, "C'est La Vie!" Seemed like a reasonable

thing, at the time. Also, that "Live" music isn't supported more, where I live. [unsure] The clubs and bars have gone

"Karaoke" or "Internet Juke Box!" [tongue][cursing]

That's All!

CB

My guitars have taken myself and my family on an incredible journey over the years . One of my ambitions was granted a couple of years ago , to shake the hand and to say thank you of the man who inspired me to play ( and to practice ) Ralph Mc Tell . Regrets no I wouldn't have changed a thing

If I limit ambitions/regrets to music and guitars, my list would include:

-- I wish I had started writing songs earlier, but the fact is, I really didn't have anything to say when I was younger.

-- Once I did start writing, I wish I would've spent more time studying and learning the craft of songwriting, i.e., attending workshops, classes, etc.

-- I wish I were better at "networking," but I have a low tolerance for smalltalk and B.S. Making it in the music biz seems to involve a lot of networking....

-- I've bought and gotten rid of a lot of nice guitars over the years, but there are only a couple that I wish I hadn't gotten rid of: an early '60s LG-1 and a Larrivee D-60.

As for life ambitions/regrets, it is a lengthy list and I'll keep it all to myself....

Ambitions: keep on growing as a vocalist and start writing songs.

Regret: that i didnt spend more time on understanding music theory and composition fundamentals

And...not learning the piano also

Interesting, I started music theory classes for songwriters just last week - and I will be 56 this year. This may be first grade stuff for many of you but a revelation to me because in the first lesson I already learned something fascinating: most of my songs (and the songs I like) use the Mixolydian scale. I also leaned that the 6th note in a major scale can become the root note of its own scale which is the relative minor scale of the original major scale being played. My teacher explained how the relative minor scale is the 'sad relative' of the major scale.

So, by mixing chords from these two scales I have suddenly increased my available song writing chord base in any given key. Seeing as I only tend to write in about three keys anyway msp_tongue.gif that's not too much to learn. That's very immediate, practical information to me, not empty, boring theory anymore.

Anyway, that's just by way of saying it's never too late. Just get out and do it.

Why? I'm curious because it's something I've never considered and now I'm wondering if I, too, should own the regret😒

Piano lays all of what is called "theory" right in your lap. It makes it crystal clear, it is a linear in thought and in physicality. Guitar is kinda all over the place and repetitive in not good ways compared to keys. Keys will quickly make you a much faster thinker musically. It will show you that even as you tell yourself and others that you are self-taught, don't know theory, and don't need to know it, you actually do know a lot of it, you just didn't know you did. Piano helps put it all together and is easily applied to other instruments. The guitar, not so much without lots of pushing.

rct

Archived