Gibson Brands Forums

Ambitions and regrets?

Lars68

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EM - I always find it interesting guessing whether a song was written on the guitar or piano. I know that with Don Henley, you can tell which when you listen. Same with Elton John.

It is, , , grand ballads are typically made on keys. Some, well, a lot of melodic mid-terrain tunes too.

Though I've heard Dave Edmunds play Lady Madonna impeccably precise on guitar, it's obviously a piano-number.

Where Blowing in The W. or Needle and the Damage Done couldn't have been done on keys.

Okay, the first could, but it would have had another groove etc. etc. .

All in all an intriguing complementary double-path, , , which I unfortunately can't walk.

Still never regretted choosing acoustic guitar - not 1 single minute.

Did John ever write on anything else than black'n'whites ?!

Never too late for that one.

Trying to learn guitar is enough, no kiddin'. . .

We didn't have piano at home, , , but 4 of my 6 grandparents had and I played them frequently through all the years I came there.

Em7: not only a poet, you are a pioneer of mitochondrial replacement therapy as well!

This has been and interesting thread.

Regrets: When I was young and dumb my Dad sprung for lesson.I quit after a few month because I was convinced this guy did not known much. About five years later I started gigging semi-regularly. After a couple of years it was regular. I then sought out a teacher so I could learn faster and better. After a couple of years of trying different teachers I finally came back to my original teacher. He was great and I learned a ton. He was a graduated of the Conservatory of Music in Cincinnati. After about three years, I changed carriers. He was pretty disappointed but we continued a good relationship until I left the state. Iwould have been a much better musician if I would not have quit the first time.

Piano: I was a bass player and my music instructor insisted that I learn a rhythm instrument. Because of familiarity I chose the guitar. It went well and my instructor was correct again. I do play the piano a little and it does have advantages in learning music theory and music in general, but the guitar also works. All of my kids play at least one instrument and they all play reasonably well. We started all of them out on piano and then let them choose what instrument they want to play. Three of them are music majors,one in voice and two in piano. I have one son in college who is a piano tech and a very good musician. He is majoring in one of the sciences. Several of my kids play strings but none of them play guitar, that is my BAD! I did not play much at all for many many years.

Ps sorry for the long post

Good thread. I think it's one of the best reads I've ever had on this forum. Ambitions? I am exactly where I want to be with music and guitars in my life and I hope it continues for as long as possible. The purpose of music to me in my life is that it is there to make me happy and it does exactly that. I don't care about making mistakes anymore. I just want to have more fun. Regrets? When I was a small child I loved to sing. I liked singing songs from church. We visited my grandparents who lived across the country once and my grandmother made me sing repeatedly for her friends and neighbors till I broke down. It traumatized me and I didn't sing again for nearly forty years. I wish that hadn't happened. I now consider myself an expressive, creative singer and it is one of my greatest joys. Also, I have never been able to write songs. I wish I could write a song that felt meaningful to me. I have a minor degree in music but there's something about how my brain functions that I can't execute. I believe there is a way to connect the dots and I could express myself through meaningful but I haven't found a way to connect the dots yet.

Hey guys! How about the ACCORDIAN? Chick magnet? Songwriting tool? Fountain of musical elements?

Great for beach parties?

Subtle and unintrusive?

I had one once. Just another shortened chromatic keyboard, but with additional bass buttons. It was a Hohner student model, but it was a bit big and heavy for a seven-year-old. Someone had left it behind in our quarters in Germany, and I latched onto it. Got bored with it pretty quickly. Next instrument after that was a uke my father got me and my sister in a little violin shop in Mittenwald when I was about eight. Then a harmonica. Didn't discover guitar until I was a teen.

I regret having laid hands on an accordion.... (Play two hours of scales on your guitar, sing "don't think twice it's alright" five times, and go and sin no more).

Yes, this is a good read-provacative, even.

I regret my late start with singing and wish I hadn't been too painfully and critically shy to do it, so long ago when I first had the urge. I'm glad I came to my senses, much later in life, but one wonders what joys I missed...

Ambitions? I don't regret my general lack thereof, but I sure am enjoying a flash of it with this recording project. Final mixes are done and, next week, we're interviewing two mastering engineers, which seems plenty ambitious for this ol' late-bloomer!

I had one once. Just another shortened chromatic keyboard, but with additional bass buttons. It was a Hohner student model, but it was a bit big and heavy for a seven-year-old. Someone had left it behind in our quarters in Germany, and I latched onto it. Got bored with it pretty quickly. Next instrument after that was a uke my father got me and my sister in a little violin shop in Mittenwald when I was about eight. Then a harmonica. Didn't discover guitar until I was a teen.

I regret having laid hands on an accordion.... (Play two hours of scales on your guitar, sing "don't think twice it's alright" five times, and go and sin no more).

Haven't laughed so hard in a while😅 Had a friend who played the accordian back in my early teens. Invited him over to 'jam' one evening, and my parents got calls from the neighbors. Not just next door neighbors, either. One fella down the street was so deaf that it was possibly the first thing he'd heard in years.

Thanks all for your input so far. It's been a very interesting read so far.

I'd like to get a little serious for a moment. My single biggest regret in life is that I didn't pursue my interest in the arts as I graduated highschool. Instead I opted for the safe choice, a Master's degree in Business, which has served me well as far as providing solid financial security for myself and my family. However, in all other aspects I regret this choice. I have been working within Finance/controlling now for 20+ years, and being involved with this world is slowly but surely killing my soul. I'm currently struggling to find an option to break out and do something else. I have no plans as of right now, but I feel I need to make a change soon. Writing songs and singing/playing guitar have become almost a necessity to me now. The more I do it, and the harder I try to do it well, the more I realize the importance of creative expression in my life.

So, if there are any young people reading this, make sure you make responsible choices to care for your loved ones, but also try to follow your heart as much as possible.

Lars

I've enjoyed reading through this thread over the last few days. It's always therapeutic for us to review our lives. It's a good bet that we've all got regrets we can't forget. It's natural to desire doing something over that we screwed-up in the past, make the wrong things right. But, if all of that stuff had turned-out the way we wanted, we wouldn't be who we are today. Things might be better, they might not. Flip a coin... No guarantee that the way we wanted or envisioned it would have ultimately been good for us or our loved ones. You take what you get and you make the best of it. If it knocks you down, you get back up. Nobody said this was easy and as we're all aware, none of us will get out of here alive. All we can do is our best. If it's not always good enough, we still tried. Where I'm at now in my life is where I'm supposed to be in relation to the choices I've made. I figure that a lot of people have more of things I'd like to have, but a lot more of them have less than what I have. I almost always want more of the good things, but I've learned (and am still learning) to be glad for what I have and to keep on moving forward. I can't change the past, but I at least have something to say about the future.....Good thread.

Or 'See ya on the flipside!'

Anyway, money and guitar playing don't mix too well...oil and water.

If someone asks me what I do with myself, I say I work on computer databases, but the people I know say I am a guitarist.

There you go, I am a GUITARIST!

Said it. And after all these years of playing, whether you like what I'm playing or not, no amount of money can buy what I can do. It is mine!

I wouldn't mind a dollar for every time I get told - "I wish I could do that!" Well, there is wishing and there is doing.......

BluesKing777.

Anyway, money and guitar playing don't mix too well...oil and water.

There's a lot of truth in that! When I was pursuing music I had a day job and so did almost everyone else (unless they were living off Dad& Mom). I viewed my day job as my enabler.

Back to the accordions, they are loud!!! We use to have three accordions in the house. We are down to one and unfortunately (or fortunately?) it is in poor condition. My youngest son wanted to play the Bagpipes. Hopefully no offence to anyone, I put my foot down on that one - No Bagpipes!

There's a lot of truth in that! When I was pursuing music I had a day job and so did almost everyone else (unless they were living off Dad& Mom). I viewed my day job as my enabler.

Back to the accordions, they are loud!!! We use to have three accordions in the house. We are down to one and unfortunately (or fortunately?) it is in poor condition. My youngest son wanted to play the Bagpipes. Hopefully no offence to anyone, I put my foot down on that one – - No Bagpipes!

You missed an opportunity! The Accordian and Bagpipe Band from Hell😈

Want a wee bagpipe story? Aye?

I had a Scot in my class at school when I about 12 and his father was the leader of the local chapter of a highland pipe band!

Now, one night when I was over there, the father turned up with his bandmates after practice ??? And they were all fully sloshed. And on a dare, at 10pm or so, off they went down the street on a 'piping' march! Loud like a jet landing! Wow.

I had considered learning bagpipes to annoy the noisy drip next door, but I just don't have the wind. Though I could get a pipe Tattoo dvd from Edinburgh, Scotland and play it loud through my Tannoys and....go out.

In truth, the whole pipe band blowing is stunning and the mate's sister was beautiful and not the reason I went to the Highland Fling! She did a great highland dance, it is all coming back to me.... [flapper]

BluesKing777.

Archived