Gibson Guitar Board: Sticky neck issues? - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sticky neck issues?

#1 User is offline   geetaruke 

• Group: Members

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:03 AM

Hello all. I'm a total electric noob and was checking out an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. A budy of mine has one given to him as a gift a while back that literally has less than 1/2 hr playing time on it (28 min, me, this morning. Lol).

Anyhow, as a complete electric noob, I noticed the neck was sticky. Extremely sticky.

Is this something specific to brand? A characteristic of all electrics? Something that goes away?

Any input would be appreciated as I can get this guitar from him for almost free but if this is a persistent issue, I wonder if it would be worth it at all.

Thanks in advance.

#2 User is offline   jedzep 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCrankytown, NY

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:13 PM

That's a minor issue so take it on, you'll just have to test out what solvent works. I usually start out with something like 'Orange Clean' (mechanic's hand cleaner), then work up through other cleaners with just a smudge on a rag on your fingertip. Always hot water rinse on a clean rag or sponge. Acetone or denatured alcohol is too strong, but if someone tried to recoat it and it didn't cure you may have to try a lacquer thinner on a small spot. Try Goof Off, not Goo Gone as well. Hell, it could be beer, so try household stuff first. 2 parts white vinegar to 1 part warm water works too. Mr. Clean 'Magic Eraser' is cool. Worth a try. You'll have to play around with it.
I may not be good lookin', but at least I ain't got no money.

#3 User is online   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 01 February 2017 - 02:37 PM

Yep. It's normal, and over time it will wear in as the finish ages and cures.

Worse is during the summer when it's humid. Can be a bit bothersome. I just keep a clean cotton rag handy and wipe it down.

Some people sand the back of the necks down, but I wouldn't advise doing anything like that.
/Ray

#4 User is offline   kaicho8888 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCity of Rock'n Roll San Francisco

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:31 PM

Epi's have polyester finish. You can use 1000 grit sandpaper and lightly sand in circular motion to get a satin finish. This prevents your damp hands from sticking to the smooth surface. Similarly, Fender has satin plyurethane neck finish to prevent stickiness on their American models.

I don't hesitate to do the same with all my Gibson nitro finish. It eventually dries up or you can easily use a polish to gloss it up again. After a few years nitro lacquer hardens and won't be as sticky.

The old days, I used talcum powder before playing...dryer your hands and not as sticky.
Old Rockers never die; we just fade away! 会長

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users