Gibson Brands Forums

Sticky neck issues?

Hello all. I'm a total electric noob and was checking out an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. A budy of mine has one given to him as a gift a while back that literally has less than 1/2 hr playing time on it (28 min, me, this morning. Lol).

Anyhow, as a complete electric noob, I noticed the neck was sticky. Extremely sticky.

Is this something specific to brand? A characteristic of all electrics? Something that goes away?

Any input would be appreciated as I can get this guitar from him for almost free but if this is a persistent issue, I wonder if it would be worth it at all.

Thanks in advance.

That's a minor issue so take it on, you'll just have to test out what solvent works. I usually start out with something like 'Orange Clean' (mechanic's hand cleaner), then work up through other cleaners with just a smudge on a rag on your fingertip. Always hot water rinse on a clean rag or sponge. Acetone or denatured alcohol is too strong, but if someone tried to recoat it and it didn't cure you may have to try a lacquer thinner on a small spot. Try Goof Off, not Goo Gone as well. Hell, it could be beer, so try household stuff first. 2 parts white vinegar to 1 part warm water works too. Mr. Clean 'Magic Eraser' is cool. Worth a try. You'll have to play around with it.

Yep. It's normal, and over time it will wear in as the finish ages and cures.

Worse is during the summer when it's humid. Can be a bit bothersome. I just keep a clean cotton rag handy and wipe it down.

Some people sand the back of the necks down, but I wouldn't advise doing anything like that.

• 3 months later...

Epi's have polyester finish. You can use 1000 grit sandpaper and lightly sand in circular motion to get a satin finish. This prevents your damp hands from sticking to the smooth surface. Similarly, Fender has satin plyurethane neck finish to prevent stickiness on their American models.

I don't hesitate to do the same with all my Gibson nitro finish. It eventually dries up or you can easily use a polish to gloss it up again. After a few years nitro lacquer hardens and won't be as sticky.

The old days, I used talcum powder before playing...dryer your hands and not as sticky.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyhow, as a complete electric noob, I noticed the neck was sticky. Extremely sticky.

Is this something specific to brand? A characteristic of all electrics? Something that goes away?

No, the electricity in the wood does this. Nothin' you can do about it... :(

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all. I'm a total electric noob and was checking out an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. A budy of mine has one given to him as a gift a while back that literally has less than 1/2 hr playing time on it (28 min, me, this morning. Lol).

Any input would be appreciated as I can get this guitar from him for almost free but if this is a persistent issue, I wonder if it would be worth it at all.

Thanks in advance.

cotton 100% rag, gibson cleaner/polish only on the back of neck and body, not fretboard, good for all finishes including the nitro. for the fretboard i do not have any suggestions. Id get slapped, and deserve it.

Archived