Gibson Brands Forums

Lucille - truss rod tool

kaicho8888

OK...after almost 18 years, I thought I'd adjust the truss rod on Lucille and add a tad more relief. For some reason I cannot use my 5/16" socket. I noticed the wood recess is too tight to allow the use of my socket wrench. I can't find any of my Gibson wrenches anymore. I've got a number of Gibson models; but this Lucille is routed tight. I also noticed that one side of the nut has been filed down. Not unusual, I've this on my three other Gibson's.

Anybody have this problem with access to the truss rod nut? I am checking out Amazon...any recomendations on truss rod wrenches?

Thanks,

I always use the thin-walled wrenches designed for Gibson truss-rod nuts. I guess common wrench sockets wouldn't work for any of my Gibsons. They all are routed quite tight - fortunately I think, as it means there is still some wood left in that critical area.

I guess some truss rod cavity is smaller and need a thin walled socket. Like the Cap said...more wood on the headstock. My other Gibsons have enough space for the regular sockets. Oh well, guess this Lucille from Nashville is a little different.

I just hate it when the shipping/handling cost more than this tool.

• 3 weeks later...

LOL... got the Grover made trussrod wrench in the mail; then found an old one in one of the cases.... gezz... old gezzers.

Anyway, I still could not fully insert the wrench. I had to sand the area (thick clear nitro) around the trussrod nut to be able to use the wrench.

All is better now with a 1/8 turn to increase the relief a tad. It really didn't need any adjustment, just wanted to make sure the nut is not stuck after 17 years. Nice stable 17 year old Lucille with maple neck.

Archived