Gibson Brands Forums

NAD - Orange

thejay

These are phenomenal amps! For a number of years I toured with a vintage OR80 head with matching 2x12 and 4x12 cabs, The combined weight of these monsters was over 200 lbs and so eventually I sold them and ended up buying an Orange Rocker 30 combo instead. Orange makes killer amps but dang those stacks are H-E-A-V-Y! I think my height dropped two inches the years I was gigging with them :blink: Ouch!

Just saw it on the Orange forum.

Really cool, can't wait to try one of them.

Congratz!

Mhhhh I would love to have the OR100.....

But dude this is the Gibson Forum, you should do this every now and then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTFyM3d83cs

You make nice videos, post em!

Thanks! I have done a couple videos comparing Gibsons specifically, more to come. I only get so much time to play which is never enough :rolleyes:

These are phenomenal amps! For a number of years I toured with a vintage OR80 head with matching 2x12 and 4x12 cabs, The combined weight of these monsters was over 200 lbs and so eventually I sold them and ended up buying an Orange Rocker 30 combo instead. Orange makes killer amps but dang those stacks are H-E-A-V-Y! I think my height dropped two inches the years I was gigging with them :blink: Ouch!

Oranges are probably my favorite amp brand and heavy as you mentioned. I have some 2x12s I can't imagine how heavy a 4x12 would be! I've had a couple Mesas that size and those were heavy too! Sounded amazing though. Some of the heads I have weigh 60-70lbs! Rocker 30 head is lighter [biggrin]

Posted in the Orange forum but since you all are interested 😃

After spending a lot of the day yesterday with the R32 and a Strat (mostly) I have to say it is it's own little beast. I am not a combo guy as most of you would already know and I certainly do not have any cabinets with 10s in them. Right there, the amp is unique. I do think these speakers are different than the standard VOTW speakers, specifically what I have personally heard in the JR cab. Which was a fine cab but I would prefer some stock V30s in the 212CB myself... anyway I trail off...

The cabinet itself starts to make noise when the volume gets to about 12/1 o'clock on the Dirty channel with the gain set at about 3... which is loud at 30w! Come to think of it I suppose it could be a speaker... I should check the screws and make sure they are in securely...anyway... Most likely the only reason I notice it is because I am in a small room playing myself. If in a full band situation, maybe not. The mic's do not pick it up. It is certainly NOT as bad as say a Princeton at the same volume, those sound like they will shake apart...

The Natural Clean channel is very sweet, what we have all come to expect from Orange with a single volume knob. I quite like it, I stayed here for a lot of the time, mainly because I can have it on FULL and at noon or higher and not feel like my ears are going to run away. PLUS, really take advantage of those FX. Takes an OD quite well up front IMO and I ran multiple Strymon FX (the Big 3) through the loop in full stereo and in wet/dry. TONS OF FUN. I LOST HOURS.... literally.

Dirty Channel - its Orange. Sweet sweet citrus when you want it. It gets pretty hairy but it doesn't have that same "OH **** thats loud" like the original Rocker 30 does. One reason I love Orange amps in general is that the DIRTY channels are clean to about 10-11 o'clock before they start to break up which you can get some great sounds here running the DIRTY as a clean sound. Again, same thoughts of stereo and wet/dry. I really like the wet/dry, makes everything a tad clearer depending on your FX and I find this might be an additional feature many players will find handy than the stereo aspect overall.

So here it is... in full stereo. Does it sound like full stereo? No... or at least in the room while playing. I don't know if I really thought it would BUT it doesn't feel/sound like a standard mono amp in operation; it is certainly not a full stereo setup. It's this unique hybrid that offers something in between mono and stereo. I wouldn't say it would be flat against a stereo rig but if you were running a couple of 30w amps it would.... BUT it's much more than a mono rig. It's quite pleasing.

Here it is, part II... Wet/Dry - NOW that's awesome. In this setup, the FX through one speaker and your dry tone through the other. Not only is this unique but it takes it up a notch to really add some cool tones along the way. Extremely easy to go between both setups by just pulling the one cable out of FX return.

I wrote all of the above yesterday and to be honest... I didn't know how to feel. I recorded some tracks walked away... slightly perplexed. Hours past and I came back in for round 2. I liked it more... and when it came to editing A/V today... I LIKED it a LOT MORE. A LOT MORE.

For recording, I think it shines here in BOTH, stereo and wet/dry. I really like this amp, I think for recording this will be a beast and something that will be truly unique to provide some really cool tones. General play = happily. With a band = I can't say given volume levels etc or type of music but I am sure it will find a home.

Truly unique and a keeper.

PS - demo coming...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived