Gibson Brands Forums

Fire Sripe Pickguard on a J-45

mking

Did Gibson ever issue J-45 guitars with a fire stripe pickguard? If so please post some pictures with the year of the guitar. Thank you.

The J-45 first appeared in 1942 and it did not have a firestripe pickguard initially, but during the war years guitars did have firestripe guards from time to time, most likely due to material shortages.

If you look here and follow the FON column for the year and the P'guard column for the style of pickguard you get a sample of guitars.

http://www.bannergibsons.com/html-registry.html

Lars

The J-45 first appeared in 1942 and it did not have a firestripe pickguard initially, but during the war years guitars did have firestripe guards from time to time, most likely due to material shortages.

If you look here and follow the FON column for the year and the P'guard column for the style of pickguard you get a sample of guitars.

http://www.bannergibsons.com/html-registry.html

Lars

It appears that 1943 was a big year for the fire striped Pickguards on the J-45. Thank you.

Why do you say that Dan ? Im curious, as I don recall J-45's from the banner era having firestripe guards, or at least Ive never come across one ?

I would like to hear the answer to this because I am thinking about putting one of these on my 2007 J-45TV.

It appears that 1943 was a big year for the fire striped Pickguards on the J-45. Thank you.

Interesting, so it was. Funny, Ive never ever come across one. My LG-2 then probably has a non original guard as its from 1943 and does not have the stripe guard, and according to these records it should.

Interesting, so it was. Funny, Ive never ever come across one. My LG-2 then probably has a non original guard as its from 1943 and does not have the stripe guard, and according to these records it should.

Look at the list again. 1943 is mostly striped pickguards, but with some mock tortoise in there. We also don't know how inclusive that list really is.

Did Gibson ever issue J-45 guitars with a fire stripe pickguard? If so please post some pictures with the year of the guitar. Thank you.

I presume you're interested in J-45 Standards. But as an aside, I'll mention that some J-45 Custom's have a fire stripe pick guard. Mine's a 2015.

J45%20Custom_zpsb6m3fnjp.jpg

Look at the list again. 1943 is mostly striped pickguards, but with some mock tortoise in there. We also don't know how inclusive that list really is.

Well, that was my point Nick, that in 1943 LG-2's should be all striped, but my '43 is not.

Just remember - when you talk Gibson specs, guards included, for any given era, you have to allow for variations. Madness lies down the path of expecting total adherence to the norm.*

*Which, incidentally, applies to Gibson guitars as well😋

Archived