Gibson Brands Forums

Standard vs Traditional....Is there that big of a difference?

bigtim

I have played les pauls on and off for 30 years. However the other day for the first time I got to play a les paul tradional pro with the push pull pots. I have to admit, I could not tell any difference in it other than the pick up tap options. I looked into it a bit more and read somewhere that the traditionals were offered with a more correct neck profile and finishes of the original les pauls from the 1950's. The neck was great, it sounded good and played well. So with that said, is there that big of a difference between the standards and traditionals? It looks to me like I could just get a standard truss rod cover if I were to ever get one and I do not think anyone could really tell the difference. Sorry if the post has already been discussed before.

Well its a big question really cos it depends on which year it is...

The Standard is the model that Gibson sort of use as a Flagship model... So its also the one that changes year to year and they do stuff like changing the neck profile which I believe currently is a 60s Asymmetrical neck shape.. Then theres other years when its been chambered (2008-2010 I think)...

These days its more that the Standards tend to come with more flamey tops... Because of the T line and HP line, the Standard T these days has more traditional features where as the HP model has all the new modern ideas and gizmos.

But in general yes you are kind of right theres not much between them in terms of construction just what hardware and pickups go on them.. also the last few years the Traditionals have been non weight relieved which a lot of people seem to want.

So really you have the Standard that's whatever Gibson want it to be and they keep tweaking it with more modern ideas and inventions.. And then you have the Classic which is like a cross between a 60s and an 80s LP and has the slimmer neck and the Traditional which is as you say more a nod to 50s LPs with fatter necks for people who don't want whatever they are doing on the Standards that particular year...

Lol... it is all a bit of a muddle... And whatever Gibson seem to do, people still complain about it [rolleyes]

Well this is pretty much a great explanation!! I get it now. You can try the new standard and if you do not like what they have done with it, go try a different standard that is not the standard now!! That is pretty cool. I like both neck profiles to tell you the truth but I did play one Les Paul standard once that had an incredibly fat chunky neck. I did not like it at all. Actually been checking out the les paul custom lite as well. I like the idea of custom without the back breaking weight. Heck they are all nice in their own way, Thanks for the reply Rabs!!

Well its a big question really cos it depends on which year it is...

The Standard is the model that Gibson sort of use as a Flagship model... So its also the one that changes year to year and they do stuff like changing the neck profile which I believe currently is a 60s Asymmetrical neck shape.. Then theres other years when its been chambered (2008-2010 I think)...

These days its more that the Standards tend to come with more flamey tops... Because of the T line and HP line, the Standard T these days has more traditional features where as the HP model has all the new modern ideas and gizmos.

But in general yes you are kind of right theres not much between them in terms of construction just what hardware and pickups go on them.. also the last few years the Traditionals have been non weight relieved which a lot of people seem to want.

So really you have the Standard that's whatever Gibson want it to be and they keep tweaking it with more modern ideas and inventions.. And then you have the Classic which is like a cross between a 60s and an 80s LP and has the slimmer neck and the Traditional which is as you say more a nod to 50s LPs with fatter necks for people who don't want whatever they are doing on the Stdandards that particular year...

Lol... it is all a bit of a muddle... And whatever Gibson seem to do, people still complain about it [rolleyes]

I have played les pauls on and off for 30 years. However the other day for the first time I got to play a les paul tradional pro with the push pull pots. I have to admit, I could not tell any difference in it other than the pick up tap options. I looked into it a bit more and read somewhere that the traditionals were offered with a more correct neck profile and finishes of the original les pauls from the 1950's. The neck was great, it sounded good and played well. So with that said, is there that big of a difference between the standards and traditionals? It looks to me like I could just get a standard truss rod cover if I were to ever get one and I do not think anyone could really tell the difference. Sorry if the post has already been discussed before.

Just check the Gibson website like anyone else would do...

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars.aspx

There are very detailed specs listed, and the Trad is very different to the Std. Well as different as one LP can be to another LP.

Changing the truss rod cover doesn't account for the differences in neck shape, neck profile, weight relief, pups, tuners, level of flame, etc, etc, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I was pretty confused when I started looking at les puals, so many models now, hard find a old school layout, other than custom shop.

the names do not help much, IMHO.

Things have changed so much, a standard is not the standard of the past, that's for sure.

The traditional T of 2017 anyway is to me more a standard of the past, no circuit board wiring, big turn off... solid mahogany body, 50s neck....WOOT! no

g force tuner plastic thingy, nickel hardware.

things I did not care for on the Standard T are , weight relived body, just don't like em, my traditional T is 8 pounds 8 oz, and is solid.

chrome hardware, yuk, chrome ufo looking knobs, super yuk, circuit board wiring, 60s slim taper neck, like the larger 50s neck,

I have been looking for a new les pual for 3 years, the traditional t has what "I anyway" was looking for. I have 2 Ibanez 540R for the whole HP type thing.

glad Gibson has something like this in the line up, and they make a sale because they did. only issue I have with the 2017 traditional T model, should have thrown in the poker chip with the pick guard, I think people buying this model, will be the pick guard/poker chip dressed les pual kind of folks. at least I am, as are the people I jam with.

Archived