Gibson Brands Forums

Newly acquired SG

Duncan OR

New baby - just acquired a couple of months ago - 2015 SG. Thought I would post a few pictures. [biggrin]

From my local store. Feels great, just a little fret wear but really doesn't seem that it's been played very much at all. When I first picked this up, I really liked the feel of the neck (very thin profile, but different shape than the other guitars that I have) and super light weight.

I've owned an Epiphone G-400 SG for about 8 years, plus a couple of Fenders (one Mexi-Tele, one American Strat) and a Yamaha Strat clone (for... a couple of decades longer than that) and been trying to decide what was the right guitar for me. Finally decided that the SG is the one (after some time looking at Les Pauls also) and wanted to upgrade. This one came along and I think will work great. Really happy with the way it plays; great tone and just feels right. I'll be gradually thinning out my collection of other guitars now.

Anyway, I have made a couple of changes:

Upgraded the tuners to Kluson Revolution locking version. These are awesome. Really pleased with them: direct drop-in replacement, took literally 10 minutes, feel really solid and precise. Really love locking tuners for tuning stability and ease of changing strings. Not to mention, the Kluson Revolutions have ivoroid plastic keys that look awesome.

Replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncan JB / Jazz with covers. Really love the way these sound; I know not everybody likes the JB, but to my ears it has fantastic tone cranked up through a tube amp. The guitar also has coil split push/pull switches. Not sure if this is original, but it certainly is a great feature. I've thought about some mods here, maybe adding a phase reversal push/pull switch also, but I'm going to leave it as is for a while.

The nut is a 1st gen brass zero fret nut. There's a little bit of pitting on the nut part, but following a tip I saw somewhere here, I contacted Gibson customer service and they're shipping me a titanium replacement at no charge. Got to say that's really great customer service.

Anyway, really happy with this guitar. Going to have a lot of fun with it... :)

Duncan

post-82729-099875600 1486272927_thumb.jpg

post-82729-002950300 1486272938_thumb.jpg

post-82729-082614500 1486272946_thumb.jpg

post-82729-003564000 1486272954_thumb.jpg

Some people really hate the 2015 model year but I am a fan and have a 2015 SG Special among others. The GForce was ok to me but the big issue was the brass zero fret. Gibson sent me the replacement and it makes a huge difference. When you get the replacement, it will be slightly different in size so you will have to make some adjustments to it but it really makes a huge difference. I personally love the neck width, I find it easier to play. Congrats on the New SG, I think the 2015 SG is a great guitar.

I'm sure they're great sounding and playing guitars! The only thing I REALLY didn't like was Les's "scrawl" on it!

He didn't even like SG's, when they were '61 "Les Paul's!" What "I" wish Gibson had done, that year, was put Les's

scrawl, on the TRC, instead of the head stock! That way, it would still have the regular "Les Paul Model" logo, or

(in the case of the SG), the "crown," and they could have still made their point. But, that's just Me! [tongue][biggrin]

CB

I'm sure they're great sounding and playing guitars! The only thing I REALLY didn't like was Les's "scrawl" on it!

He didn't even like SG's, when they were '61 "Les Paul's!" What "I" wish Gibson had done, that year, was put Les's

scrawl, on the TRC, instead of the head stock! That way, it would still have the regular "Les Paul Model" logo, or

(in the case of the SG), the "crown," and they could have still made their point. But, that's just Me! [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Yeah, I agree; I'd much rather have the crown inlay than the weird scrawl on the headstock. And yes, putting it on the TRC would have been better. Still, aside from that, it's a great playing guitar. I can live with the headstock scrawl, although I've toyed with the idea of painting over it somehow...

• 4 months later...

Archived