Gibson Brands Forums

Thinking of getting a firebird...Please share your thoughts

bigtim

Hello, I have had a few Gibson guitars but never a firebird. I have played a couple of firebirds but only for short periods and it has been several years. Not many guitar shops have them in stock. . I like them but have not spent a lot of time with one. I was wondering if those of you who have one could compare the feel and such against say an explorer or les paul even. Is it your main axe? Why do you like it so much? Please chime in and share all of your thoughts!! Thanks

Hello, I have had a few Gibson guitars but never a firebird. I have played a couple of firebirds but only for short periods and it has been several years. Not many guitar shops have them in stock. . I like them but have not spent a lot of time with one. I was wondering if those of you who have one could compare the feel and such against say an explorer or les paul even. Is it your main axe? Why do you like it so much? Please chime in and share all of your thoughts!! Thanks

I have a 2016 Firebird T and it is ok and a pair of Explorers that I love. My Firebird has Steinberger tuners which work great and do a nice job of staying in tune. The downside for me is the pickups. I think the pickups are not very precise. I have a selection of amps I have played this through including a Vox AC100, Fender Blues Deluxe and a Blackstar HT60 and I can't get the clarity of tone that I would hope for. To be fair, my Explorers have Seymour Duncan JBs and Jazz pickups that are a huge upgrade over the stock pickups in the Firebird. I will keep my Firebird and play it on occasion around the house but in general, it just doesn't sound good to my ear, clean or dirty. I would encourage you to look at the comments on the www.gibson.com page for this model year. My experience is very likely different from others.

I am a huge Skynyrd fan, specifically a fan of Allen Collins' playing style, and because of that I have always wanted both a Firebird and Explorer. I currently have a 2015 Firebird and a Reissue Explorer among other Gibsons and I absolutely love the firebird. On my list of favorites it is in the top 2. Besides the amazing looks these things also play amazingly. The neck is slim and fast. It's nothing like my les Paul necks though and my explorers neck is more akin to the les pauls. The steinberger tuners (on mine at least) stay in tune very well but do take some getting used to when changing strings only b/c they are so different from what I'm familiar with. It does take a little getting used to because of the overall length and the odd shape might bump into something from time to time but you get used to it quite quickly. My advice to anyone thinking about getting a Firebird...do it. You will not be dissapointed. I actually might snag another one later this year with a traditional neck width and nut on it. Still hoping that one day Gibson will bring back USA run firebird 1,3,& 7's.

Got a 2014 FB,I'm not a guy that has a main axe I play them all equally,sgs,les Pauls,tele etc., but if it were lost,stolen or I destroyed it in some bizarre accident,I'd buy another in a heartbeat. It has a different sound than any other of my guitars and plays just as well. Everyone should have one in their arsenal. Damn case is too big though,you could go sledding on it.🏂

Love Firebirds to bits....[thumbup]

They are the coolest looking 'automobile fin' design ever....and the thru' laminate neck/body is unique...

I like the banjo tuner version....the non-reverse P90 version...and a Tokai copy single P/U version....:blink:

Also...see if this curve ball is of interest....the Gibson Nighthawk (some of them) has a neck mini hum a la Firebird

V

:-({|=

I've had two 2007s (one V, one VII), a 2013 V and a 2014 V.

The later Firebirds have lower frets and a rounder neck profile.

The 2014s don't have nibs SO you'll want to spend some time with some fine grade steel wool as they left the ends a bit rough.

They take a little getting used to as they're really long guitars and after a bit a Les Paul will feel like a toy.

The neck through body offers great sustain, either style of tuner works well and they're just great guitars.

For my money they're Gibson's best solid body guitar.

The case can also double as a life raft in case of flooding.

The best advice I can give it to try it out and see if it fits your body configuration. For me, it's perfect.

Suede straps are useful too keep it from moving around too much.

I bought a very slightly used 2012 Firebird V. The original buyer must have decided that it wasn't for him almost immediately. I wasn't too hot on the Steinberger tuners at first, but as I read reviews, many owners really like them. They work great. I'm more of a Les Paul guy, it isn't a Les Paul by a long shot. The neck is a bit wider & flatter, more like a SG. It has ceramic pickups. The case is huge, last time I looked they were shipping them in Gig Bags. For me, it's a great addition to my arsenal, but I wouldn't want it as my only guitar.

2012GibsonFirebirdV.jpg

I bought a very slightly used 2012 Firebird V. The original buyer must have decided that it wasn't for him almost immediately. I wasn't too hot on the Steinberger tuners at first, but as I read reviews, many owners really like them. They work great. I'm more of a Les Paul guy, it isn't a Les Paul by a long shot. The neck is a bit wider & flatter, more like a SG. It has ceramic pickups. The case is huge, last time I looked they were shipping them in Gig Bags. For me, it's a great addition to my arsenal, but I wouldn't want it as my only guitar.

Yes, I guess you should hear both sides of the coin.

A 1964 Firebird III was my first Gibson. Bought it in the early 70's to compliment my 1960 Stratocaster, and to have a guitar similar to two "inspirations", Johnny Winter and Dave Mason. A year later I bought a tobacco sunburst Les Paul Standard (having discovered Duane Allman), and found I got along a lot better with the LP.

Although one of the coolest looking guitar designs of all time, the size, imbalance, neck shape/size and pickups of the Firebird were just not for me, at least as my MAIN Gibson. I continued to use it sparingly on stage into the 80's, by which time I had also picked up a 335. In the end the Les Paul and 335 won out. My last try with the Firebird was to set it up specifically for open tuning slide work (ala Johnny Winter again). The problem then was that shortly after that I formed a band with a REAL slide player, and it quickly became apparent that I REALLY sucked at playing slide.

At that point the Firebird went to the Dallas Guitar Show and got sold to a European collector. I had the guitar for 20 years, so I guess that wasn't a bad run.

Edit: I almost missed the opportunity to post a photo of it!

2325678604_aa4807100b_o.jpg

Thanks for all of the replies. Man this gets me wanting one even more. I see on the first reply that Megafrog is not happy with the sound. This is not the first time I have come across this. I was kind of worried about that myself. I know Seymore Duncan makes a good replacement set of pick ups. I would consider that myself if the one I wound up with sounded thin or too shrill. Do most of you use the stock pickups of have you changed them out?

... Do most of you use the stock pickups of have you changed them out?

I'm not sure my answer/opinion is relevant to the current reissues, but my '64 was dead stock, and I wasn't thrilled with the Firebird mini-hums. The popular mod at the time was to replace the Firebird pickups with a pair of the pickups used in the Les Paul Deluxe of the era, which were actually (pre-Gibson buyout) Epiphone mini-humbuckers. I don't think any of the aftermarket makers offered Firebird replacement pickups at the time.

Just a little history for you!

Well, not to be the "cold water in the face" reality guy, but...First, I think you really need to PLAY one, for awhile!

See if you really LIKE/LOVE it?! Otherwise, our opinions, are just that. YOU are the only one that will truly know

if the Firebird is for you. What is your motivation, here? Do you "want" one, just to have one...'cause it's "Cool,"

or will you actually play it, and love the feel, and sound, as well or even more, than the "cool" factor?

They do have a unique tone/sound, and look. But, the "feel" for me, was not a comfortable one, I'm sorry to say.

It felt awkward, to me. But, as Gibson's go, I'm a SG, Les Paul, ES-335 type person, so that's (no doubt) a prejudice

of mine.

Hope you can find one, and play it for a good while, to help you make your decision! Good Luck! [thumbup]

CB

Try one first, by all means, and get ready to spend a LOT of time with strap placement until it feels normal.

At least that was my experience.

The earlier Firebirds, like L5 Larry's, had pick ups with more top end than the current ones.

I use the stock ones but if I ever buy a used Firebird VII I'll replace at least the middle and bridge one as they just sounded way too wimpy.

I did play a 60s non-reverse Firebird and the neck on it was just like a 60s style Les Paul and I found the shape to be very comfortable. The down side was they wanted 3 grand for it and it looked like a puppy used it as a chew toy.

Well, not to be the "cold water in the face" reality guy, but...First, I think you really need to PLAY one, for awhile!

See if you really LIKE/LOVE it?! Otherwise, our opinions, are just that. YOU are the only one that will truly know

if the Firebird is for you. What is your motivation, here? Do you "want" one, just to have one...'cause it's "Cool,"

or will you actually play it, and love the feel, and sound, as well or even more, than the "cool" factor?

They do have a unique tone/sound, and look. But, the "feel" for me, was not a comfortable one, I'm sorry to say.

It felt awkward, to me. But, as Gibson's go, I'm a SG, Les Paul, ES-335 type person, so that's (no doubt) a prejudice

of mine.

Hope you can find one, and play it for a good while, to help you make your decision! Good Luck! [thumbup]

CB

Main guitar? I am generally a one guitar kind of guy. I get one I like and stick with that for the most part with recording in the studio, practicing at home or jamming with friends. I never liked carrying more than one guitar to a gig and I do not believe I will ever break that habit either. Since I already have a guitar I use on recording and such the firebird will probably stay at home and not go out, I don't think. I have noticed though, with all of the different guitars I have used while doing session work, it never mattered what I was using at the time because the end result would all sound very similar. I guess it is because I like humbuckers and set my amp a certain way. I had an explorer and it was a bit cumbersome playing sitting down. A bit heavy too while out on stage. I would think the firebird would weigh a little less and would be slightly smaller bodywise compared to the explorer. Yes I love the way the firebird looks. Heck I want one alright and have wanted one for a long time. Just not many people will have them in stock. I went to the local guitar center here too.....No firebirds. All of the other music stores do not carry gibsons anymore either. So it is either a guitar show coming in March that I am planning on attending or I am just SOL. I will probably just wind up getting one through the internet and either be thrilled or so so. I would like to have either the firebird v in sunburst or the classic white version with the steinberger tuners. I really am not into the robot tuning kind of stuff. I like the old regular set up and so it may be the traditional version as well. I would go for a mint condition used one too. I take care of my stuff and am very particular about how my guitar is treated so the used guitar would have to be in top 10 condition without a scratch or small dings and such. Just kicking back and enjoying what you guys all have to say about yours. Been watching alot of youtube demos of them as well. I would love to have a 1960's version. Heck I even like the NON Reverse original version too. I just wish gibson would put trapezoid inlays in the fretboard of them but they don't.

This is Steve Winwood playing Dear Mr. Fantasy with his green non reverse firebird. I always loved this song and like I said, I like this version of the firebird too and would love to own an original era one as well but they are a bit pricey. Like I said I wish gibson would do the inlays in this version tool. I read in an old book I have that Fender filed a lawsuit against Gibson on the original firebird design because the body shape was so similar to the Jazz Master and Jaguars. That is why Gibson came up with the Reverse firebird design.

A little more Firebird-lore 'to whom it may concern'.....dry.gif

Personal inspirations regarding deciding to purchase a Firebird....

Johnny Winter

Brian Jones

Ronnie Wood

Steve Winwood

Phil Manzanera

Stephen Stills

et al

Seymour Duncan has spent time and passion creating various mini-hums to change or enhance the tone of the Firebird....[thumbup]

I desired a single P/U Firebird III some years back and found the only offering was a MIC Tokai which had excellent carpentry accompanied by expected low end P/U quality....

My tech fitted a Seymour Duncan SM-2 which included wiring for coil tap....[thumbup]

The result was a good playing, well sustaining, cheap and good looking 'Firebird'.....and after a webward search, a fitted, quality gig-bag improved the portability somewhat.....[biggrin]

V

:-({|=

Well, I admit, it's been a number of years, since I played one. And, since I'm going up to my dealer's store,

this weekend, IF they have one (and, they usually do), I'll pick on it, while I'm there, and see if my "tastes"

or feelings about it, have changed any? Who knows, I may discover I like it/love it, this time around. [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Firebirds are quirky guitars... but sometimes quirky is good! :)

Best advice (as always) is to go play a few and see how you like them. I wanted to get one to help complete my "collection" of the classic Gibson solid body types (LP, Exp, V, SG & FB... I have a mix of Gibson and Epiphone versions of these, ie, some in Gibson, some in Epi [and in the case of the LP, both Gibsons and Epis]).

Anyway, I wanted a Firebird, but the way it puts the fretting had so far to the left away from the body (assuming you're right-handed) as compared to say, an LP, and its propensity to be a bit of a neck-diver meant it was one of those that I bought in the Epiphone version. I do like it, but it's definitely not my favorite of the Gibson classic solid bodies). Like I said... you really need to play a few and form your own opinion though... we all like different things. It's all good. :)

Archived