Gibson Brands Forums

2016 les Paul tribute

Adamc

did you just try vaseline Adam..

a $5 piece of plastic is getting in the way of you bonding with this.

This is a very common situation and easily remedied. if you went up a gauge, as suggested by the mooks at GC, then you've made the slot even tighter now in relation to the string.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Farnsbarns

This is a very common situation and easily remedied. if you went up a gauge, as suggested by the mooks at GC, then you've made the slot even tighter now in relation to the string.

This. You've gone from .009 to .011, a 20% increase in string thickness. Try putting the original guage back on. If you prefer the thicker guage you might need to get the slots filed out although I tend to find they're OK with some graphite. The fact you hear pinging when tuning is proof of the issue which should be very simple to solve.

AdamC,

Yes I was pissed, but it was the fourth and final 2014 Custom avail. The first three were awful, no pinched nut slots, but uneven frets and unsightly blemishes and dull flat ebony paint spots and one even had a big gash on the side and neck. Guitar Center kept replacing them for me as they came in and I looked them over. One have uneven nut slots also. The frets were ridiculous with some alternating with frets high on bass side, low on treble side, and vice versa all down the neck. The 4th one and the only 2014 new in box came in and it was perfect except for the pinched nut slots of the G and B, so I took it and Gibson did approve the warranty replacement of nut so I am happy with the guitar and yes it was a little over $4K I paid for the guitar.

Now, don't go crazy by throwing it !

Take it back to GC and exchange it for a 2017 Tribute T. With pencil graphite and 9-46 DÁdarrio stings, I have no problems with it staying in tune. I ordered mine through GC and opened the box, so their techs couldn't get their fingers on it. I kept it factory setup - the string and pickup height and action are perfect. I love playing this guitar. Check out the reviews, there are nothing but good things to be said about the 2017 Tribute.

Plus, it smells really good !

You unfortunately found out why that 2016 Tribute has been in the shop for so long. Either it was returned or really hard to play off the shelf. Smells like you got a lemon. If you have had it for 2 weeks, you should be able to take it back.

Good Luck. Don't give up on the Gibson Les Pauls.

. I am going to try the Vaseline. And in a couple days I'll grab some 9s or 10s. Just haven't gotten back up to guitar center yet

AdamC,

Yes I was pissed, but it was the fourth and final 2014 Custom avail. The first three were awful, no pinched nut slots, but uneven frets and unsightly blemishes and dull flat ebony paint spots and one even had a big gash on the side and neck. Guitar Center kept replacing them for me as they came in and I looked them over. One have uneven nut slots also. The frets were ridiculous with some alternating with frets high on bass side, low on treble side, and vice versa all down the neck. The 4th one and the only 2014 new in box came in and it was perfect except for the pinched nut slots of the G and B, so I took it and Gibson did approve the warranty replacement of nut so I am happy with the guitar and yes it was a little over $4K I paid for the guitar.

Wow man, what a process lol. Glad it worked out!

Take it back to GC and exchange it for a 2017 Tribute T. With pencil graphite and 9-46 DÁdarrio stings, I have no problems with it staying in tune. I ordered mine through GC and opened the box, so their techs couldn't get their fingers on it. I kept it factory setup - the string and pickup height and action are perfect. I love playing this guitar. Check out the reviews, there are nothing but good things to be said about the 2017 Tribute.

You unfortunately found out why that 2016 Tribute has been in the shop for so long. Either it was returned or really hard to play off the shelf. Smells like you got a lemon. If you have had it for 2 weeks, you should be able to take it back.

Ok thanks man!

Dang it, I really like this one, I hope it can be salvaged

Dang it, I really like this one, I hope it can be salvaged

It's going to be a few days before I can get this beast int to get the nut looked at, and to get some lower gauge strings. With that said, it's not doing too bad right now. I can play normal, open or bar chords just fine, the issue is only with big step, step and a half bends. So I'm going to try all things you guys are telling me and I'll comment next week when I get time to get the guitar looked at and let everyone know, hopefully, that it's fixed. Thanks again everyone!

It's going to be a few days before I can get this beast int to get the nut looked at, and to get some lower gauge strings. With that said, it's not doing too bad right now. I can play normal, open or bar chords just fine, the issue is only with big step, step and a half bends. So I'm going to try all things you guys are telling me and I'll comment next week when I get time to get the guitar looked at and let everyone know, hopefully, that it's fixed. Thanks again everyone!

Good luck Adam.

One quick question, I haven't quite got the guitar back in yet, but I did talk to guitar center on the phone. My question is, if there is something off with the nut, short of actually replacing it, shouldn't they help me out a little? It sounded like they were going to charge me, I told them of that was the case they can take it back. They said they would at least look at. The way I see it, I bought it from them new, if there is a flaw like that, shouldn't they take care of me? I just want to know if I have a legitimate complaint, before I go in running my mouth. (I'm pretty quick to do that ). Thanks again for your input

Sorry. Not the answer you want to hear..... but, it's not really their (Guitar Centers) fault. Even if you buy a new guitar from them, they will charge extra for an additional post-factory set-up. They get the guitar, there is a bad nut, it's Gibsons issue.

NOW - IF they are going to charge you for a nut replacement, they SHOULD HAVE explained the charges PRIOR to replacement. And that's something you would have agreed to before sending it out. Basically, the issue is with you, not them. They sold the guitar and you were happy when you walked out with it.

If the charge is nominal, I would eat the expense and be grateful that the guitar is fixed - hopefully for a lifetime.

It's a 2016... so did you get it for a reasonable deal ????

I hate to be sympathetic to the Corporate; But if there was a problem from the start, you should have taken it back ASAP based on the GC warranty and exchanged it for a different LP. They could have transferred a different 2016 from another store. Sometimes it's hard to find an issue with a guitar until after you get it home.

However, typically the problem arises after someone has altered the height of the bridge / tailpiece / changed strings (from 9s to 11s : which everyone one is pissed about that $5 loss !) / moved the pups......

I'm surprised that GC would take a guitar back.

It really depends on where you have purchased, a local home town guitar shop, probably will do minor setups like this free of charge.

Guitar Center, is really there to sell stuff. they'll nickle and dime people for everything. And they're setup guys usually don't really know what the heck they are doing.

so I would NOT advise to use them.

Have you looked for a local setup guy? Try to contact a mom and pop store in your area, see if they can recommend someone?

What you need done is probably a 25~30 dollar effort. For some reason you are seeing this as a major flaw, but it really is not. it's very common.

I don't get why you have not taken this advice, find someone to address this, and move on. Seems like we're beating a dead horse here....

Forget about Guitar Center, it's really not their problem, and they will charge you to do a setup and chances are, they will f- it up.

unless you're going to return this, you're done with them.

Look for someone in your area that does this work...

I know I'm sorry, it does seem like beating a dead horse, I just live like 30 to 40 minutes from anywhere that I can take it to, I work, I haven't had time to do it yet. I am going to take this advice. This thread has given me great advice. Thank you so much

Hi Adam

I understand the frustration.

You have a great new Guitar, you want it perfect, but that requires some fine tuning after it leaves the factory/store. Everyone has a slightly different set of details.

Once you find a person to do this work, use him moving forward for anything you need. One he gets to know you, there will be very little guess work when you need something done.

The guy I was using was over an hour away,... but he was legendary, so I made the trip out to him when I had to. (sadly he's passed away suddenly a few weeks ago and that is very sad as he was a great guy first, and an out standing pro 2nd)

Good luck with this, I'm sure if you can follow it through, you'll wind up solving this problem and it should not cost you a whole load of cash from here.

Archived