Gibson Brands Forums

Hiscox Cases

Jim Wilson

I know that several of you use the Hiscox guitar cases. How do you like them? Will a J45 fit in their regular dreadnought case? It doesn't look like they make one specially for the J45. Anyway, I'm seriously thinking about getting one. Your thoughts and advice will be appreciated.

Love the Hiscox cases!

Once you own one, there is no going back - others cases may as well be paper bags.

And I share a dread Hiscox case with a D28 AND my J45 Standard - the shape of the Hiscox allows both.

I just got the Cargill guitar last Novemmber and there was no sleep until I got the case delivered, let me tell you, Now in safe hands.

HiscoxCargill1b_zpsgldcxu6q.jpg

Photobucket crashed as I would selecting my photo of all the Hiscox collection...coming later then.

BluesKing777.

Edit:

I have been torturing Photobucket to get a couple more photos of the Hiscox collection, starting with the 'Can I come too?" photo:

Cae-wait1a_zpslxfqyhit.jpg

HiscoxesPic4_zpsyaknkevx.jpg

HiscoxesPic2_zpsjl8zbctj.jpg

It is supposed to be cool to keep the Brit flag hangtags on the case, but most are lost already!

Love the Hiscox cases!

Once you own one, there is no going back - others cases may as well be paper bags.

And I share a dread Hiscox case with a D28 AND my J45 Standard - the shape of the Hiscox allows both.

I just got the Cargill guitar last Novemmber and there was no sleep until I got the case delivered, let me tell you, Now in safe hands.

HiscoxCargill1b_zpsgldcxu6q.jpg

Photobucket crashed as I would selecting my photo of all the Hiscox collection...coming later then.

BluesKing777.

Ok So I have to ask BK777, What other cases have you had experience with to make the statement that the others may as well be paper bags? I am just curious as if you have had a bad time with one I would like to know as I to have been trying to decide if to get a Hoffee or Hicox or even Calton. I am in no way doubting your word or opinion just would like you to elaborate a little. Also have you flown with it. Thanks

KC

Shop around, unless money is no object or you need a super protective case for a high end vintage J-45, or for air travel or drunken case tossing or stomping. Silver Creek or Gator and others make adequate reasonably priced cases. My 75 yr old fragile Gibsons only travel to the guitar doctor or to a friend's house in perfectly form fitting Silver Creek cases. Altogether utilitarian hundred dollar models. Maybe you're rougher. In that case spend the bucks, but I can't ever see a situation where I would be standing on, drop kicking, or driving over my case. Hopefully you can't either.

http://www.ebay.com/...EoAAOSw5ClXw~wf

Shop around, unless money is no object or you need a highly protective case for air travel or drunken case tossing or stomping. Silver Creek or Gator make adequate reasonably priced cases. My 75 yr old fragile Gibsons only travel to the guitar doctor or to a friend's house in perfectly form fitting Silver Creek cases. Altogether utilitarian hundred dollar models. Maybe you're rougher. In that case spend the bucks, but I can't ever see a situation where I would be standing on, drop kicking, or driving over my case. Hopefully you can't either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tweed-Dreadnought-Hard-Shell-Acoustic-Guitar-Case-For-Gibson-J45-Martin-D28-/322244208438?hash=item4b07406736:g:5EoAAOSw5ClXw~wf

Playing festivals, beer joints, and coffee houses, I never know what conditions I'm going to find. The standard Gibson case won't stand up to rough handling and the bumps & grinds of the road. I like nice guitars and I like for them to stay nice, too.

Ok So I have to ask BK777, What other cases have you had experience with to make the statement that the others may as well be paper bags? I am just curious as if you have had a bad time with one I would like to know as I to have been trying to decide if to get a Hoffee or Hicox or even Calton. I am in no way doubting your word or opinion just would like you to elaborate a little. Also have you flown with it. Thanks

KC

We don't get the Calton or Hofee cases here in Aust, so I can't say, Kelly.

I have read that they are quite heavy and have to be custom fit - Hiscox Pro ii is light.

A Hiscox has a few levels - standard, Pro II, Artist, with the Artist being the full 'throw it to the crowd', but the Pro II covers throwing it in the back of the car with the camping gear, possibly children, dogs, air travel....keep them away from drummers though.

BluesKing777.

I have the Hiscox II in white - dread case.

Best case.

It is light, rugged, sharp looking... and when I gig I use it no matter what guitar I take with me - HD28 J50 Taylor 214CE... fits them all.

There is a thread somewhere... About how you can order these from England direct MUCh cheaper than in the US, even with shipping. I wish I had known. I think strings direct...

I have the classical and jumbo that seems to cover all my sizes when needed.

I live in KY and did buy one of them from UK. By the time all the extra charges were added I could have bought it at Elderly's for about the same.

We have three of the Pro IIs.

uhjHBf3.jpg

Here they are holding a 43 J-45, 38 D-18, and 35 RSRG. They work fine for all three.

FBlGWE8.jpg

They are light and very well padded. Their locks are good and their humidity properties too. They claim to be very strong -- I guess they are. Their ad has lots of people standing on them.

We uses these cases for storing some serious guitars and for transporting them to and from local events. I am not yet ready to call them true travel cases. We use Hoffee, Calton, Mark Leaf, and a couple of serious shipping cases for that. More valuable guitars live in the travel cases, but if one of those has to travel they swap.

We use them (all) for Jumbo/Trojan/RSSD/RSRG and AJ/J-35/J-45/SJ and Dreadnoughts body shapes, and they all work well.

Best,

-Tom

We don't get the Calton or Hofee cases here in Aust, so I can't say, Kelly.

I have read that they are quite heavy and have to be custom fit - Hiscox Pro ii is light.

A Hiscox has a few levels - standard, Pro II, Artist, with the Artist being the full 'throw it to the crowd', but the Pro II covers throwing it in the back of the car with the camping gear, possibly children, dogs, air travel....keep them away from drummers though.

BluesKing777.

Ha Ha Keep them away from drummers...My big concern is checking them in with the airlines. Thanks

Ha Ha Keep them away from drummers...My big concern is checking them in with the airlines. Thanks

I haven't flown with one, was about to and had to cancel....I will soon though.

Now I have a Hiscox Artist model for OM and 000 sizes - the Artist is the highest level of protection, and almost twice the price ...and a few pounds heavier. These are popular with overseas travellers, but most fork out for a Pro II model, next level down, and the internet is full of happy customers.

Nowme, myself, I, will take the Gibson Blues King or my Martin CEO7 which both fit in the smallest Hiscox Pro II that I have - the Classical Medium - the case and guitar weigh nothing, probably less than just the old guitar case.

But mine get work in the car and the first time I took the long trip to a friend's, as I got the guitar out of the car I banged the Hiscox hard against the car, then turned and smacked it against the side of his house and then tripped on the stairs! Worth the money for that comfort!

The Artist is thicker, gets a leather handle, bigger latches AND a shoulder strap with screw in connectors! You can buy the strap for other models?

I should have bought the shares - no affiliation!

And here is the classic guitar case sledgehammer test again...:

BluesKing777.

I haven't flown with one, was about to and had to cancel....I will soon though.

Now I have a Hiscox Artist model for OM and 000 sizes - the Artist is the highest level of protection, and almost twice the price ...and a few pounds heavier. These are popular with overseas travellers, but most fork out for a Pro II model, next level down, and the internet is full of happy customers.

Nowme, myself, I, will take the Gibson Blues King or my Martin CEO7 which both fit in the smallest Hiscox Pro II that I have - the Classical Medium - the case and guitar weigh nothing, probably less than just the old guitar case.

But mine get work in the car and the first time I took the long trip to a friend's, as I got the guitar out of the car I banged the Hiscox hard against the car, then turned and smacked it against the side of his house and then tripped on the stairs! Worth the money for that comfort!

The Artist is thicker, gets a leather handle, bigger latches AND a shoulder strap with screw in connectors! You can buy the strap for other models?

I should have bought the shares - no affiliation!

And here is the classic guitar case sledgehammer test again...:

Sounds like a case of vertigo from here.

BluesKing777.

Also a big Hiscox fan, they are worth every penny IMO. I got a Pro II so I could bring my 2008 J-50 to Europe in 2014. No problems whatsoever in the checked luggage on PanAm and Aegean. I would not dream of doing this in the original Gibson case, as was said above, it's like a paper bag in comparison. The dreadnought case fits my 1965 J-50, 1974 J-50, 2008 J-50 and 2011 Martin D-15M.

Aside from air travel, it is great for everyday stuff. I have spot down by the creek on my property about 5 minutes from the house where I like to cook out and play the guitar. Was hauling some supplies down there in a wheelbarrow and brought the 1965 J-50. Along the trail, it slipped and fell about 3 feet to the ground. I didn't even think twice about that with the Hiscox case. It could have been a real problem with the original GIbson case.

case04.jpg

case01.jpg

Great cases! Love Hiscox. My only complaint is that I've had the little rubber/plastic "feet" on a couple of mine pushed through the outer shell by rough baggage handlers in airports over the years. No detrimental effect to any guitars though ☺

If you don't mind me asking, Who did you order it from?

I also got mine from Elderly 3 years ago and was very impressed by their service. They actually put a few guitars similar to mine into the case to insure they would fit. And they have 20% discount coupons that come up periodically on their site which I was able to use.

Archived