Gibson Brands Forums

1934 jumbo demo

JuanCarlosVejar

I played an early 30's Jumbo at Gryphon Stringed Instruments a year or two ago and sounded just like the one in the video. Very lively, big and dynamic guitar. Simply incredible sound. In comparison, a lot of current Gibson offerings like J45's I've owned/played just sound dull and muted. Of course there are exceptions to this, but the one model that seems to get as close to this sound, at least to me are the AJ's. Yes, they are long scale, compared to the short scale of the jumbo, but they seem to have the same dynamics and big tone. I can't really remember exactly, but looking at the guitar in the video, the body also looks deeper than most of the other slope shoulder Gibsons.

I don't know if it's the increased body depth or what, but those OJ's have a unique in-your-face rawness and balance that is unlike other Gibson slope-J models. They certainly make you sit up and pay attention.

Neat guitars.

So why is it that there only seems to be a few modern builders that can more easily capture that sound in their new guitars than even Gibson themselves can except on rare(based on total guitars produced relative to the ones that have "it") occasions. It can't be just the age alone....or can it and there are just a lot of us that won't live long enough to hear our guitars get in the zone?

All three of our mahogany Gibsons from that period with that deep body -- 35 Jumbo, 36 J-35 (Trojan) and 36 RSSD -- have a huge raw sound. Not at all like the 36 AJ and 35 RSRG, which are RW guitars. For example the RSSD is so raw that for years I avoided it before I learned what it was good for. My friend David Dugas heard responsive where I head raw. Here is him playing the one of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTaG9vQKs6I&index=10&list=PLcW5cMhdfomubfHCsLJwbQBdM02UFiHgE

those OJ's have a unique in-your-face rawness and balance that is unlike other Gibson slope-J models. They certainly make you sit up and pay attention.
That sound just hits you in the gut. My J35 has some of that. Dont forget the Adi top as part of the sound. Adi and hog is a match made in heaven.

NCF is a

. That OJ isnt giving up anything to his custom Martin dreds.

Archived