Gibson Brands Forums

Planning my next purchase... Which SG would you recommend?

matarroano

Hi guys!

So, I have been a "Fender-guy" all my life, but I really really want to to get an SG as my next purchase...

Which would be a very very nice one for me to get? I'm guessing, I can aim at getting the model that's one or two steps above, overall quality-wise, from the "Standard".

Nothing too fancy, vintage spec'ed, or crazy-expensive. So, no need for a "Premium SG" or "Custom", I can't really afford.

Just a "regular SG" that's worthy of leaving for your kids and that will keep its value... Keeping the value is really important. Also, it MUST be available in CREAM color.

Let me know which are my options. Any and all thoughts welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

Daniel

Greetings, Daniel.

Just a "regular SG"...that will keep its value...Keeping the value is really important...

Unfortunately for your wishes there is no "regular" Gibson guitar - SG or otherwise - currently being made which is likely to hold its value. There are simply too many of them being made. Typically any "regular" Gibson electric will instantly lose roughly 30% of its value when it leaves the store.

Perhaps you need to reappraise this part of your quest? If so then we could probably offer some constructive advice.

For instance; a used (and therefore already devalued) Historic Re-Issue might hold somewhere near its purchase price if you buy wisely in the first instance.

Good luck.

Pip.

If I had lots of$$,,Id order a SG Supra,,stained in translucent blue,,A Floyd rose trem,,3 PAF Pu's,,and all satin black hardware,,w/no mini elec tuner on it. Your choice might be relative to what you want to spend,,I see many new 17's that are very affordable,,way cool gibson! Good luck with yours. [thumbup]

Sweetwater, Guitar Center and Musicians Friend have all dropped the price on 2016 SG Standards to us $999. These are definitely nice enough to pass to your posterity however you would want to buy a case for them since they come in a gig bag. Finding a cream colored SG will be a challenge for you but the 2016 SG Standard do have a cream binding on the neck. Great guitars for the money. Gibson also had a limited run 2016 model that is in a natural as well as a walnut finish, both with P90s that also dropped to $999 but they are a bit harder to find and also have gig bags versus cases. The 2016 SG Special in ebony does have cream (beige) colored pickup rings and pick guard. Good luck with your quest!

Archived