• +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

What made you like Gibson guitars?

#1 User is offline   Seb1968 

• Group: Members

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:26 AM

Forgive me if this topic has been raised before, but what made you like or prefer Gibson guitars?

With me, although I initially liked Fender Strats, over time when I saw more and more live rock music, I began to fall in love Gibson especially the Les Paul, mainly because of that meaty, ballsy sound Gibsons have, especially when they are plugged into a big stack of Marshalls, and of course the classic look of the Les Paul. Of course, the sound of the guitar ultimately comes down to the skill of the player, and I have heard some fantastic Fender Stats and Telecasters, but there is something unique about that Gibson sound, it's raw, meaty and powerful and just screams rock. I want to make it clear that I am not hating on other makes of guiatrs, and there other great guitars like Gretsch, Fender etc, but with Gibson they have that ultimate rock sound.

#2 User is offline   ReGuitar 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:34 AM

1 - Jimmy Page
2 - The way they sound
3 - Gary Moore
4 - The way they look

and so on... [thumbup]
Guitars
2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard Trans Amber
2011 Gibson Explorer Cherry
Washburn C104SCE

Amps
Fender HotRod Deluxe
Marshall DSL 40C

Current Pedalboard
Dunlop Crybaby > TC Polytune > Fulltone OCD

'I believe guitars have soul.'

#3 User is offline   LarryUK 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBirmingham. UK

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:43 AM

Joe Walsh and Seeing the Alice Cooper band on TV. One of them had a 3 pickup SG (Les Paul).

#4 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:19 AM

I was in high school and about to buy a car from the guy I was working for in 1974, (cook/cleaner/bottle washer at a coffee shop).

my only electric was a 72 strat..

had already been approved for a loan of $1,800 to buy the car (a GMC Gremlin, which would have been horrible mistake, they were just lousy automobiles)

went a music shop in Worcester Mass with a friend who had a keyboard on lay-a-way to make a payment, and saw this gorgeous a gold top deluxe hanging on the wall behind the register.

Being a huge Betts / Duanne Alman & Jimmy Page fan, who wouldn't want something that had those sounds! asked if I could try it out, and that was all it took. Put a deposit on it to hold it.. went straight to the bank and cancelled the loan, and instead got a personal loan for the guitar which was priced at $475 Sure, my boss was pissed but he understood my passion and soon had sold it to someone else (a regular costumer who wanted it all along, and had nothing but trouble with it.. DOH!! maybe HE should have bought a guitar instead too)

Anyways, regarding me and gibson, that's how it all started... should have never traded that gold top..
/Ray

#5 User is offline   Karloff 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:20 AM

Duane Allman & Dickey Betts
" Early morning sunshine, tells me all I need to know "

Posted Image

#6 User is online   ksdaddy 

• Bitter clinger
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:24 AM

My father singing cowboy ballads and playing a 1963 Southern Jumbo.

#7 User is offline   charlie brown 

• Lunatic Fringe

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:43 AM

"Once Upon A Time, In A Galaxy Far, Far, Away..."
When I joined my first "band" (age 13), I didn't have an "electric" guitar, but our drummer's older brother,
had stopped playing, and loaned me his Gibson "Les Paul" SG Junior, and his Gibson GA-20 Amp. I played that,
until my Mom bought me a Fender Strat (which I still have), and a few months later, a Fender Bandmaster amp,
brand new, in early 1964. I later bought the SG from our drummer's brother for like 50 bucks, or some such.
Then sold it (foolishly), about a year later, to fund another SG (Standard). So, Gibson, and especially SG's,
figure prominently, toward my "first love," of guitars. [thumbup] [biggrin]

CB

#8 User is offline   vacamartin 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCa.

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:45 AM

The mesmerizing sound of the L, L-0, L-00 when used for finger-picked ragtime and Americana blues.....and I like the look!Posted Image
2009 Blues King...for sale

#9 User is offline   badbluesplayer 

• ZIPPER CLUBBER
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:53 AM

View Postkidblast, on 09 February 2017 - 08:19 AM, said:

I was in high school and about to buy a car from the guy I was working for in 1974, (cook/cleaner/bottle washer at a coffee shop).

my only electric was a 72 strat..

had already been approved for a loan of $1,800 to buy the car (a GMC Gremlin, which would have been horrible mistake, they were just lousy automobiles)

went a music shop in Worcester Mass with a friend who had a keyboard on lay-a-way to make a payment, and saw this gorgeous a gold top deluxe hanging on the wall behind the register.

Being a huge Betts / Duanne Alman & Jimmy Page fan, who wouldn't want something that had those sounds! asked if I could try it out, and that was all it took. Put a deposit on it to hold it.. went straight to the bank and cancelled the loan, and instead got a personal loan for the guitar which was priced at $475 Sure, my boss was pissed but he understood my passion and soon had sold it to someone else (a regular costumer who wanted it all along, and had nothing but trouble with it.. DOH!! maybe HE should have bought a guitar instead too)

Anyways, regarding me and gibson, that's how it all started... should have never traded that gold top..

I bought a new SG - think Dicky Betts - from what was probably the same shop in 1974 I think. I was a freshman at Worcester Tech. The shop was on the west side of Main Street downtown somewhere near the courthouse, best I can remember. I think it was like $325.00 or so. Good times blasting the tunes out the of the dorm window, seeing how many blocks away my buddies could hear me. [thumbup]

#10 User is offline   rct 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouthern New Jersey

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:02 AM

Fender guitars.

rct

#11 User is online   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndiana - Texas - sometimes Lost

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:05 AM

The sound, the feel, the look.

#12 User is offline   pippy 

• LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:11 AM

Footage of Andres Segovia Paul Kossoff playing live at the Isle of Wight festival, 1970. It must have been screened on UK TV around 1972. Pure magic.Talk about the hairs on the back of your neck standing up!....
His playing still has that effect on me to this day. Sadly missed.

Posted Image

...and a local guitarist called Johnny Cunningham who had a mid '70s LP Custom but by then I had started to play stuff by post-Cream Clapton; Rory Gallagher; JJ Cale and, a few years later, Mark Knopfler so my first 'proper' guitar, bought in 1980, was an old (even back then!) Strat. I did, in fact, buy a Norlin-era LP Custom in around '82 but it was a dog and it really put me off Gibsons for years...

Eventually I came back into the fold. And I'm happy I did.

Posted Image

Pip.

#13 User is offline   Hall 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationRabbit Hash, Ky.

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:31 AM

Melody Maker and Skylark amp at Dodds Jewelers in another time; in another place.
"The empty vessel makes the loudest sound." w.s.

#14 User is online   kelly campbell 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:08 AM

Like most here I think it started with rock guitar players of my era, Page, Walsh etc..when I decided I wanted to take up guitar I had to have an LP first because of them and the looks. As far as the acoustic side when I first played a couple in the shops they did not feel right to me and went to other brands. Then one day I pulled one down from the wall in a shop and it felt great and sounded great and that was the start..now none of the others measure up with the exception of some of the Martins.

#15 User is offline   darling67 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:36 AM

First, it was seeing Jimmy Page playing a Les Paul that got me into Gibsons....

... and then, Robbie Kreiger's SG sealed the deal for me.
RESIST

#16 User is online   kelly campbell 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:08 PM

View Postrct, on 09 February 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

Fender guitars.

rct

Great point [thumbup]

#17 User is offline   rct 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouthern New Jersey

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:24 PM

View Postkelly campbell, on 09 February 2017 - 12:08 PM, said:

Great point [thumbup]

I'm not sure it's being taken the right way though.

Fenders made me like Gibsons because each was what about half of my favorites that made me play used. I figured if Teles and Strats were this good Gibsons had to be pretty good too. Wouldn't be without both!

rct

#18 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• I doubt I'm entitled to a title
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:33 PM

Michael Chapman was the first. Mostly used a J-200 early on.

Hagstrom Deuce / Fylde Acoustic / Variax Standard / Gibson ES-339 / Gibson LP Less+ / PRS SE Custom24 / Hofner HCT-J17 / Camps Spanish / Jackson Soloist / Rickenbacker 650 /Squier Esprit
Miele S5 Power 2200w Vacuum Cleaner
Makita BO3710 Finishing Sander
Verdict 6" vernier scale calipers
Whittard of Chelsea Florence blue teapot
Spear & Jackson 1712PF/INS12 trenching fork

Posted Image put the kettle on
I sometimes think; therefore I am intermittent
my band BLOWN OUT

#19 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:00 PM

View Postbadbluesplayer, on 09 February 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

I bought a new SG - think Dicky Betts - from what was probably the same shop in 1974 I think. I was a freshman at Worcester Tech. The shop was on the west side of Main Street downtown somewhere near the courthouse, best I can remember. I think it was like $325.00 or so. Good times blasting the tunes out the of the dorm window, seeing how many blocks away my buddies could hear me. [thumbup]

Small world aye? and that would be Union Music...
/Ray

#20 User is online   kelly campbell 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:28 PM

View Postrct, on 09 February 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

I'm not sure it's being taken the right way though.

Fenders made me like Gibsons because each was what about half of my favorites that made me play used. I figured if Teles and Strats were this good Gibsons had to be pretty good too. Wouldn't be without both!

rct

I too have a Tele and a Strat so I do not hate them, but I do not won a acoustic.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users