Gibson Brands Forums

XGP solid brass bridge

GuildPlayer

Hey all! I'm new here, but I figured I might as well start contributing! This is my review of the XGP solid brass bridge sold by GFS. http://www.guitarfetish.com/XGP-SOLID-BRASS-locking-Tuneomatic-bridge-locking-Saddles-_p_23129.html

So my journey starts off as a broke musician (redundant, right?) looking for a cheap replacement for the zamak nashville bridge that came on my 2003 Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker. I had already installed a NOS Kahler brass tailpiece that I purchased from wammiworld, and was very pleased with what felt like slight increase in sustain. So now I knew I wanted a brass bridge or atleast saddles. Being broke, I bought this $30 bridge expecting the worst. I was wrong. Being cheap, I saw that the bridge could sit on my nashville studs, well there's $5 off right there! Lol so I installed the bridge on nash studs, fits a little loose, but does NOT move when under tension. I had to adjust the bridge as low as it could possibly go, which isn't a good thing, but the action was beautiful and slightly lower than before. i didn't notice any HUGE difference in sustain but that could be attributed to the stock studs. However, it did kind of seem to make each note stand out more. Like when I was playing chords with hammer ons and a lot of chopping everything just popped out more. Anyways, I dig the bridge. Would buy it again.

If I had more cash I would have gotten a Gotoh or a Kluson harmonica bridge. But for the broke player, this bridge is still a good upgrade from the stock pot metal nashville. Also, in the pictures, it looks like the saddles are all cut for string guage, they are not. All of the saddles have the same cut depth and width. Still plays fine with zero buzzing, but I do wish they would have left cutting the saddles to me.

I am old enough to remember that brass bridges, nuts and more were a big deal back in the 70s.

It is a lovely material and looks good polished, but (correct me if I'm wrong) is softer than some alloys.

The design of the bridge you've reviewed is different and on that alone I'd be interested enough to buy one at the right price.

But....if it sounds half as good as it looks....... [thumbup]

My Gotoh bridge was £19.75(GBP) inc tax and postage from a UK supplier, about $25 USD.

Im actually getting a brass nut installed too. Hah And yes I know brass can be a softer alloy and can kill sustain a bit, but you'll notice I said "feels" and "seems" alot because I know It's just what I percieve in the change of tone. But yes, very neat design. And I must have been thinking of a different model bridge!

Archived