Gibson Brands Forums

Small Gibsons Flattops -- 1926-1946

tpbiii

I made this picture and posted it on FB, but then it occurred to me it might be fun to post it here too.

hNKWs0k.jpg

26 L-1, 31 L-2, 33 HG-CENTURY, 34 KG-11 (CARSON ROBESON), 34 KG-14, 35 L-00 3/4, 36 KT-14, 38 L-CENTURY, 39 HG-00, 42 LG-1, 42 SPORT MODEL, 46 LG-2.

Best,

-Tom

Are the pictures proportionally correct? If so, what's that 4th one from the left.

Nice picture!

Dave

KG 11, by the caption below the train. Basically a re-branded Kalamazoo KG-11 with Carson Robison's moniker on it, sold (I believe) by Monkey Wards (as we used to call them, when they existed)...

Are the pictures proportionally correct? If so, what's that 4th one from the left.

Nice picture!

Dave

Quite close but not exact. This was created from our green screen portraits of the guitars -- same setup but maybe framed a bit differently. But CLOSE.

There are five body footprints there.

#1 one of the first flattops -- same body shape as the L-1 pre-1925 archtops. Think Robert Johnson.

#2, #3, #5, #7, #8, #9 all have the classic body shape of the 1930 L-00s -- even the Zoo tenor. Gibsons are X-brace, Zoos are ladder braced.

#4 has the body shape of the KG-11

#5 and #10 have the 3/4 L-00 shape. #5 is an X-brace Gibson, #10 an ladder braced Zoo. This shape was reissued after the war as a ladder braced Gibson -- this is the one Arlo had.

#9 and #11 are early post 1941 LGs

Best,

-Tom

Archived