Gibson Brands Forums

New here and new guitar

CJB

Hello everyone,

I'm new to posting here and am a new Gibson J35 owner as of today courtesy of Sweetwater.

Recently a set of circumstances piled up to push me to make a choice - either put down playing the guitar or step up and buy one that I'll really enjoy for a long while.

Long story short, several years ago I decided to start a small business but needed funds to help with this. So I sold my nice guitars and bought a cheap L-00 copy and told myself I'd be happy with it. Fast forward about 5 years and I've hardly touched that cheap guitar as I didn't really enjoy it. This last weekend I got together to play with some friends and the guitar starts sounding strange. I get it home and notice the bridge plate and bridge are delaminating from the top. I thought 'that's not right' and proceeded to remove the strings to see about gluing it back together (I've worked under a luthier in the past). I then hear the braces shifting and cracking and when I put my hand on the top and inside to feel what's happening the whole thing begins to implode. Craziest guitar related thing I've ever seen!!

Anyway, this led me to deciding whether or not I wanted to continue to play or not and if I did I wasn't going to get another cheap guitar. So I started researching and getting to know the guitar market again. I had to know what my preferences and desires are and compare them to my budget.

Up to now I've always bought used so I could easily flip it if I didn't like it much. And I intended to do that again this time. However the more I looked the more I felt that I was making a serious investment and really wanted to make a good commitment to enjoy music once again.

I've always loved the Gibson tone but have gravitated toward playing Martin, Lareivee etc. Though the last few years I've leaned more toward the Gibson thump, feel and tone in who and what I listen to.

I liked the historic idea of the J35 being a budget guitar but doesn't skimp on quality and tone and that varies through to today but wasn't sure if I wanted to go that route. So, remembering what the guitars I've played in the past, listening to sound samples and reading the thoughts of many of you here and a few other forums I jumped at the opportunity to buy a new J35 without playing it first. (I do have to say that buying from Sweetwater made it very easy - no affiliation just a happy customer by the way.)

It arrived while I was out shopping for running shoes with my 12 year old daughter. (That was better than it sounds.)

It seemed like an eternity while I let the box acclimate but when I finally played the first notes it was such a perfect sounds.

So far my impressions are:

- I love the unstained mahogany

- The build quality is incredible. I've handled a lot of very high end guitars and knowing this isn't a multi thousand dollar instrument (but still a significant amount for me) it's wonderfully well made with the attention to detail of a higher end guitar

- It's LOUD!

- note separation and clarity with thump and feeling

- My mistakes are more noticeable

Of the guitars I've owned this is by far my favorite, which might be a little immature to declare but I don't think I'm far off the mark here. After all, I am totally content with how it is right now (I have had the nasty habit of performing minor to major modifications on my guitars). I know it'll get even better as I get to know it too. And it makes me want to play all the more. Now I just need to figure out a name for it.

I have rambled on too long but now my fingers are rested and I can get back to playing as long as I don't wake up my family.

Anyway, thanks for having me!

Chris

P.s. As soon as I can figure out how to post a picture I'll do so...

Here's some direction on posting pics http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/11005-sticky-how-to-post-photos/

That J-35 is a heckuva guitar - bought one for my son a couple years ago, and there' really nothing "budget" about it at all - classic Gibson goodness - we both love it. Welcome to the Gibson Acoustic Forum - really nice collection of folks here.

Congrats on the new J-35! Looking forward yto seeing a pic.

Congratulations on the new J-35! I haven't played nearly as many Gibsons as I have Martins, but, I played a J-35 a few days ago and really liked it. I came to this forum today looking for related threads when I found yours. I'm not surprised at how much you like it. There might be one in my house before long. Enjoy!

My wife took this picture just after I opened up the boxes while I was in new guitar bliss...

IMG_4774.jpg?format=1500w

here are a few pics from Sweetwater:

IMG_4797.JPG?format=500w

IMG_4792.JPG?format=500w

I love how simple and straightforward the styling is - goes perfectly with the straight grained mahogany. And I even like the 'Tarzan's underpants' pickguard. ;)

Thanks Avery! I nearly bought a J15 instead of the J35 (partly due to your videos!).

Hey, that's kind of flattering, man...thanks. I find maybe the 35 is a little warmer and the 15 a little brighter. Really liked the sound of both.

Hey, that's kind of flattering, man...thanks. I find maybe the 35 is a little warmer and the 15 a little brighter. Really liked the sound of both.

You made it a tough choice for sure!

I ended up going for the extra warmth I heard in the J35.

MissouriPicker - Thanks! (By the way, I recently moved from St. Louis, MO.)

I spent a few hours tonight working through all the Guy Clark tunes I know and man, this is one amazing guitar. I'm very very pleased indeed!

Congrats, Chris. That is a nice looking guitar. I love the feel and playability of J-35's. They are very light, with most being under 4 pounds. Great acquisition!

....soooooo light it's almost like it's dried down torrified. [thumbup]

Congrats and welcome aboard.....I have NOS from 2013 and honeymoon not over yet for me with this baby. These J35 has that certain look.

Trans

Light is right! I think mine comes in just under 4lb and it's so responsive! I'm typically a quiet player and my wife and kids say they can finally hear me now.

So far I have about 16 hours on this guitar and it just keeps soundsing better and better. I have never liked or enjoyed a guitar more.

Curious... what kind of picks do you other J35 owners use? I usually use a 1.14 Ultex and like it quite a bit with his guitar (the thinner one that came with the guitar sounds good but not as full).

Welcome , nice to see you

The thick Gibson pick I like a lot.

But ultex picks are also great

It'll take you a while to get used to a certain guitar , so , mess around with a pick you have and then decide if you want to go fuller sound or lighter.

It's part guitar , part pick and part player

I hope it gives you many years of pleasure

Light is right! I think mine comes in just under 4lb and it's so responsive! I'm typically a quiet player and my wife and kids say they can finally hear me now.

So far I have about 16 hours on this guitar and it just keeps soundsing better and better. I have never liked or enjoyed a guitar more.

Curious... what kind of picks do you other J35 owners use? I usually use a 1.14 Ultex and like it quite a bit with his guitar (the thinner one that came with the guitar sounds good but not as full).

I use a Jim Dunlop USA Nylon .60mm and .73mm

I find the Fenders/Gibson picks that are the same material too brittle sounding on the strings (I used them on my Fenders/Gibson electric just great) but not on acoustics. Depending on the tune as well where I adjust the pick gauge.

To me it's all trial with mix and match : pick/string type and gauge that will determine the honest sound you are waiting to hear the sound out of the J35.

Trans

Archived