Gibson Brands Forums

1953 Gibson ES 175 replaced

manny

Hi, I am looking a 1953 Gibson ES 175 and the bridge has been replaced with a tunomatic and it has a bigsby installed. How much does this affect the value and now it is not all original. It does have the original case.

Nothing wrong with whats on your 175... as for value.. Puriest only pick those apart.. to be honest.. I prefer a bigsby on a 175.. adds characture and al little more of a option for playing style..

yours looks good..

you can always aquire those parts and keep them in the case... But to me the over all condition of the guitar and desirability.. keeps those in good values.. there cool guitars... I personally like those over any new ones out there.. if I didnt already have a few . I would be on it like white on rice..

... I have it at roughly $5500 USD, from me averaging out many guitars.

Sounds high to me, 175's are not in the $5000 bracket, you can buy an L-5 for that.

My quick research show 50's P-90 175's selling for around $3000 in original condition. General rule of thumb is that major modifications or repairs to a "vintage" instrument cuts the value in half. The bridge replacement is no big deal, but the addition of the Bigsby IS a big deal as far as "vintage" or "collectors" value.

Neither, or both, put it in the "half-off" catagory, but it's still, at best, a $3000 guitar in the retail market.

• 1 month later...

Nothing wrong with whats on your 175... as for value.. Puriest only pick those apart.. to be honest.. I prefer a bigsby on a 175.. adds characture and al little more of a option for playing style..

yours looks good..

Have you tried looking at 'sold' listings for similar guitars on ebay?

Have you tried looking at 'sold' listings for similar guitars on ebay?

too late now........I usually use Reverb for pricing, but is seems like everything is dropping in price substantially on Reverb. Have the people with G.A.S. finally gone broke?

Archived