Gibson Brands Forums

Bone saddle and bridge pins, sometimes it's better & sometimes it's not.

sbpark

I've replaced the Tusq saddle on a J45 I used to own and immediately went back to the Tusq saddle. The bone robbed the J45 of all it's warmth and low end. But tonight I removed the LR Baggs Element UST and replaced the Tusq saddle and plastic bridge pins with a bone saddle and bone bridge pins from Bob Colosi. Surprised the heck out of me. I swear I'm not crazy and wasn't expecting a positive change, but now the guitar sounds more balanced, warmer and the crispy, thin highs are now warmer and the guitar is just more balanced across the board. I put the guitar up for sale, but looks like I'll end up keeping it!

A couple of string changes ago I decided to do some experimenting with the 60 day old strings still on my J-50 before I changed them out for freshies. I had a Colosi bone saddle and bone pins on it and went back and forth between the original Tusq saddle and the bone one. After a couple of changes to accustom my ears a bit I decided that I liked the glassy sounding trebles I got with the bone but I preferred the deeper bass I got with the Tusq. Just prior to this I had a friend swear that his experience with the Larry Cragg bridge pin configuration (buffalo horn for the three high strings and ebony for the three low strings)was the way to go. I didn't have any ebony pins around but I had some rosewood and I figured three of my existing bone pins could fill in for buffalo horn. So, I ordered a pre-made Tusq saddle and cut it in half for the three low strings and then made a half saddle of bone for the treble strings, leaving 1/16 inch space between them in the saddle slot. I went with the pins as mentioned above. It worked, to my ears, as expected and I've left it that way for awhile now and I don't think I'll go back.

But I tell you what made the biggest difference was something Eminor7 said in a posting not long ago. He recommended really attacking the guitar with loud, aggressive Pete Townsend type chords for as long as you and the people nearby can handle it and then playing each string at each fret up the board being deliberate about getting a clear, singing, loud tone at each fret. After doing this routine three or four times I've been amazed at the transformation. I have also noticed just the slightest belly has formed behind the bridge, which wasn't there before, and I think that is a sign that this guitar has "arrived". Prior to all of this I always thought this guitar was...just...almost...there, but not quite. Between these two tinkerings I now think my J-50 has become what I always hoped it would be. For what it's worth. And, thanks, Eminor7!

I have a couple year old L-00 Vintage 1932 that came with a tusq nut and plastic bridge pins because they are authentic (yeah right on the nut and maybe on the pins). But I figured it has a bone nut so that is not so bad. I put some bone bridge pins on it and like the difference. Recently I put some ebony pins and noticed a subtle difference in the sparkle and low end. Does anyone know what kind of bridge pins came on a 1932 L-00?

I've replaced the Tusq saddle on a J45 I used to own and immediately went back to the Tusq saddle.....

My RAVS Masterbilt came with fossilized walrus ivory pins and saddle. It's very sonic. I think it makes a difference.

I have a couple year old L-00 Vintage 1932 that came with a tusq nut and plastic bridge pins because they are authentic (yeah right on the nut and maybe on the pins). But I figured it has a bone nut so that is not so bad. I put some bone bridge pins on it and like the difference. Recently I put some ebony pins and noticed a subtle difference in the sparkle and low end. Does anyone know what kind of bridge pins came on a 1932 L-00?

My guess is they were bakelite or some other kind of plastic?

I really agree that different materials suit different guitars. FX my SJ200 sounds ace with Tusq but the top end gets kinda...clinky with bone, but my '41 RI SJ100 sounds phenomenal with bone.

Tusq usually sounds better when pickups are part of the equation too.

But I tell you what made the biggest difference was something Eminor7 said in a posting not long ago. He recommended really attacking the guitar with loud, aggressive Pete Townsend type chords for as long as you and the people nearby can handle it and then playing each string at each fret up the board being deliberate about getting a clear, singing, loud tone at each fret. After doing this routine three or four times I've been amazed at the transformation. I have also noticed just the slightest belly has formed behind the bridge, which wasn't there before, and I think that is a sign that this guitar has "arrived". Prior to all of this I always thought this guitar was...just...almost...there, but not quite. Between these two tinkerings I now think my J-50 has become what I always hoped it would be. For what it's worth. And, thanks, Eminor7!

Thanx back over the net ^ glad to hear you confirm this.

Not a bad idea to repeat these exercises once in a while - really make the wood (and single notes) sing. Also after arrival.

Whenever the topic of saddle, pins, and nuts arrive (which is about every other monts or so) and what huge difference they make in terms of sound, the esoteric, occultist comments on this forum really warm me through the night. Some guitar forums are extremely knowledgable, others dabble in mysticism and occultism — and each with its own true charm.

A couple of string changes ago I decided to do some experimenting with the 60 day old strings still on my J-50 before I changed them out for freshies. I had a Colosi bone saddle and bone pins on it and went back and forth between the original Tusq saddle and the bone one. After a couple of changes to accustom my ears a bit I decided that I liked the glassy sounding trebles I got with the bone but I preferred the deeper bass I got with the Tusq. Just prior to this I had a friend swear that his experience with the Larry Cragg bridge pin configuration (buffalo horn for the three high strings and ebony for the three low strings)was the way to go. I didn't have any ebony pins around but I had some rosewood and I figured three of my existing bone pins could fill in for buffalo horn. So, I ordered a pre-made Tusq saddle and cut it in half for the three low strings and then made a half saddle of bone for the treble strings, leaving 1/16 inch space between them in the saddle slot. I went with the pins as mentioned above. It worked, to my ears, as expected and I've left it that way for awhile now and I don't think I'll go back.

Amazing experience. Didnt know it could be done that way with 2 half saddles...

I've replaced the Tusq saddle on a J45 I used to own and immediately went back to the Tusq saddle. The bone robbed the J45 of all it's warmth and low end. But tonight I removed the LR Baggs Element UST and replaced the Tusq saddle and plastic bridge pins with a bone saddle and bone bridge pins from Bob Colosi. Surprised the heck out of me. I swear I'm not crazy and wasn't expecting a positive change, but now the guitar sounds more balanced, warmer and the crispy, thin highs are now warmer and the guitar is just more balanced across the board. I put the guitar up for sale, but looks like I'll end up keeping it!

Yup, aint it great.

Whenever the topic of saddle, pins, and nuts arrive (which is about every other monts or so) and what huge difference they make in terms of sound, the esoteric, occultist comments on this forum really warm me through the night. Some guitar forums are extremely knowledgable, others dabble in mysticism and occultism — and each with its own true charm.

Nobody is stating it makes a "huge" difference as you stated. In fact the whole point of my thread was to sate sometimes it's a positive change, sometimes it's not, plain and simple. If you don't agree that's your opinion, but no need to reply with a snarky ******-like passive aggressive comment.

you removed the undersaddle pickup? think that may have made the difference for the better?

you removed the undersaddle pickup? think that may have made the difference for the better?

Of course. That's just common sense, at least to me. You pull out a somewhat soft, flexible piece of crap that sits between the bridge and saddle. I always thought of the "cloth" or mesh type of UST's as a dampener. But have also noticed differences in sound (better or worse is obviously subjective to the person listening) going from one saddle material to another even if the guitar didnt have a UST.

Archived