Gibson Brands Forums

little crack on fretboard (new brand les paul)

Hello, three weeks ago I purchased (Italy) a pricey les paul gold top custom 1957. Guitar is fantastic, never went out of my bedroom, treated perfectly. Ok, today I noticed a little line/crack in the wood of the fretboard, it goes from 2 and 3 fret. Ok, how can I undestrand if it's normal or it's a problem? The dealer keeps all guitars out of shell, maybe I have to put some dunlop oil on freatbord to nourish the wood? Or must I go to the dealer for the problem? thank you antonello

You would be wise to have it sealed and glued to prevent moisture from getting under and to prevent further separation. At least point it out to the seller. Oiling is not necessarily needed.

Is this an actual 1957 LP, or a modern re-issue?

I'd send some nice pics and an email to Gibson in Nashville Tenn and see what they say. They would probably have the best answer.

Then I'd take it to a luthier locally. See what he says.

It is very possible that the truss rod is causing the crack so a luthier's opinion would be good to have. Does the crack start at or point at the bolt on the truss rod? He'll know if the TR is the cause. This is serious. If this is what it is and you don't get it fixed right then you are looking at a total loss of an expensive instrument because this is a stress fracture caused by TR tension.

PS: don't play it because you will work oil and dirt into the crack. Right now is the best time to fix it.

• 1 month later...

Had the displeasure of dealing with one of the most rude, disrespectful Gibson employees regarding warranty work on a very expensive guitar. He ended the call by making a totally inappropriate comment and hanging up on me. Called back and asked for someone in management to call me back and that never happened. Would love to know how multiple inlays on a $3,000 / 3 year old guitar fall out when kept in 24/7 conditioned room. Guitar quality in question but customer service is horrible..no question there...Maybe this and multiple forum posts might get a response.....Buy another brand

Archived