Gibson Guitar Board: Acoustic Vintage Archtop - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Acoustic Vintage Archtop

#1 User is offline   huckster 

• Group: Members

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:30 AM

I have been looking for a vintage archtop for a while now. In my price range I've found several L48's and L50's in the mid 30's to mid 50's years. I did find a L4 in the late 40's that is in my $$$ range. I need some advice, concerns, useful info. that might help me make a good choice. All of these are in the Good to Very Good condition range. thanks, huckster

#2 User is offline   powerwagonjohn 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:37 PM

I have a 1952 l-4 and it would be my desert island guitar. It truly inspires me to play more. I think these are kind of under rated in the archtop world. My L-4 is rather bright but a set of Martin Monel strings really brought out the full voice of the guitar. I sometimes use the De Armond 1000 that came with it and the monel strings work great with the pick up. Other wise I use some round wound bronze strings for pure acoustic. I find it an around great guitar especially for the price.
Thanks John

#3 User is offline   JimR56 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:04 PM

View Posthuckster, on 13 February 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

I have been looking for a vintage archtop for a while now. In my price range I've found several L48's and L50's in the mid 30's to mid 50's years. I did find a L4 in the late 40's that is in my $$$ range. I need some advice, concerns, useful info. that might help me make a good choice. All of these are in the Good to Very Good condition range. thanks, huckster

As you may know, the L4 was a higher grade instrument than the other two models you mention, and for equal money might be a better choice.

The late 40's is when the L4C (florentine cutaway) was introduced, so it's not clear whether you're talking about a cutaway model or a non-cutaway (a lot of people refer to cutaway models without including the "C" in the model name). Anyway, I would be leaning toward the L4 even if it's a non-cutaway version.

#4 User is offline   huckster 

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:44 PM

View PostJimR56, on 15 February 2017 - 03:04 PM, said:

As you may know, the L4 was a higher grade instrument than the other two models you mention, and for equal money might be a better choice.

The late 40's is when the L4C (florentine cutaway) was introduced, so it's not clear whether you're talking about a cutaway model or a non-cutaway (a lot of people refer to cutaway models without including the "C" in the model name). Anyway, I would be leaning toward the L4 even if it's a non-cutaway version.

The L4 acoustic non C is on its' way. Should be here the 20th. Now I need to get a good case for it.

#5 User is offline   powerwagonjohn 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:10 PM

Sounds great, I can't wait for photos and a full report.
Thanks John

#6 User is offline   bayoubengal1954 

• Professional Journeyman Singer/Songwriter
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:40 AM

View Posthuckster, on 16 February 2017 - 08:44 PM, said:

The L4 acoustic non C is on its' way. Should be here the 20th. Now I need to get a good case for it.

Very cool!
My Music Site
1974 Martin D-28
1948 Gibson J-50
1945 Epiphone Triumph Archtop

2006 Santa Cruz Guitar Company RS
2014 Waterloo WL-14 LTR
2013 Martin 00-DB Jeff Tweedy
2016 Halcyon NL-00 Lutz/Walnut

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic