Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Vintage Archtop

huckster

I have been looking for a vintage archtop for a while now. In my price range I've found several L48's and L50's in the mid 30's to mid 50's years. I did find a L4 in the late 40's that is in my $$$ range. I need some advice, concerns, useful info. that might help me make a good choice. All of these are in the Good to Very Good condition range. thanks, huckster

I have a 1952 l-4 and it would be my desert island guitar. It truly inspires me to play more. I think these are kind of under rated in the archtop world. My L-4 is rather bright but a set of Martin Monel strings really brought out the full voice of the guitar. I sometimes use the De Armond 1000 that came with it and the monel strings work great with the pick up. Other wise I use some round wound bronze strings for pure acoustic. I find it an around great guitar especially for the price.

Thanks John

I have been looking for a vintage archtop for a while now. In my price range I've found several L48's and L50's in the mid 30's to mid 50's years. I did find a L4 in the late 40's that is in my $$$ range. I need some advice, concerns, useful info. that might help me make a good choice. All of these are in the Good to Very Good condition range. thanks, huckster

As you may know, the L4 was a higher grade instrument than the other two models you mention, and for equal money might be a better choice.

The late 40's is when the L4C (florentine cutaway) was introduced, so it's not clear whether you're talking about a cutaway model or a non-cutaway (a lot of people refer to cutaway models without including the "C" in the model name). Anyway, I would be leaning toward the L4 even if it's a non-cutaway version.

As you may know, the L4 was a higher grade instrument than the other two models you mention, and for equal money might be a better choice.

The late 40's is when the L4C (florentine cutaway) was introduced, so it's not clear whether you're talking about a cutaway model or a non-cutaway (a lot of people refer to cutaway models without including the "C" in the model name). Anyway, I would be leaning toward the L4 even if it's a non-cutaway version.

The L4 acoustic non C is on its' way. Should be here the 20th. Now I need to get a good case for it.

Archived