Gibson Brands Forums

2017 Best of the Year-SG

norcalpiper

Hi all-

I always post my favorite choice for "Guitar of the year" , and after trying out, purchasing (most all the selection this year), and spending ample time with all my SG's gigging out, kammimg, and sitting around on Sundays playing along with records, I feel I have my choice for SGs and Les Pauls.

Now these are my opinions based on a number of criteria, but the most being "bang for your buck". Again, just my opinion...also, i did NO HP reviewing, so this is for "T" line only.

2017 was pretty sparce for SGs....Not much to go with, but they carry over from last year with the Faded, The Special, The Standard, and the LE were a comfortable line up.

It would be easy to go over each model, but it would be fair to just say that all my SGs this year were pretty much OK. I felt that QC (which was not an issue last year) really was this time. From a piece chewing gum found in the cavity, to rosewood fretboard not being flush with the neck, to shitty fret dressing, poor paint applications....it just seemed there were little thing that had to be addressed before the tiger came out of the cage.

A late comer to the game was a "Limited Edition" offering from AMS of which I posted about in an earlier thread. It is basically a "Special", but rigged with Zebra '57s and comes with a case. $899. This guitar came virtually perfect out of the case, smooth fretting, proper setup, fit and finish spot on, neck is listed as slim taper, but I believe it is a touch thicker comparing it to my Standard and other Special. The coverless Zebras have been a blissful joy to hear, and after a solid block of almost nonstop playing, its just being a perfect gibson guitar.

Again, all my Gibsons sound phenomenal, but for the price point, what you get for that, and fit and finish, this "LE Special" is my favorite of 2017. My Les Paul choice will be over in the LP section.

o7k5ja.jpg

Congratulations, glad you love the 2017 SG "Special!" [thumbup]

For me, IF I were to get a 2017 SG model, I'd HAVE to get the HP version SG, for the body beveling and horn tapering.

I'd take off all the "auto tune" stuff, and install Grover Rotomatic tuners. But, the extra price, would be worth it (to Me),

for the body bevels and horn tapering, alone. But, that's just ME! [tongue][biggrin] 2013 was the Best year, for SG's in a LONG

time (IMHO)! All (or most) had '60's beveling and horn tapering, several came with Maestro vibrato tailpieces=The

"Original" "Kirk Douglas Custom," and the "Les Paul Tribute" model, with "improved" sideways vibrato.) I bought 4 SG's,

that year. Those mentioned, and a "Satin" '61 reissue. All that, after not having owned an SG, since the '60'! Suffice to say,

I went SG "crazy" that year! And, I have NO regrets, whatsoever!

Anyway, back on track...Enjoy your 2017 SG Special. And, just to clarify...My preferences, are strictly my own, and NOT meant

as a "dis," toward any other version, at all!

Cheers,

CB

Ya know, I want one of the '17 HP SG's sooo badly. But the offerrings just do not have ALL the things I want in one guitar. The ZERO FRET NUT is a must@ $1,200+, Block or Trap In-Lays, '57 or '61 PUPs & Angel Wing pickguard and no neck binding. The '17 FADED HP doesn't have BLOCK or TRAP IN-LAYS and has a MAPLE NECK (definitely a no go w/Maple neck). the '17 Special HP has the same PUPs as my '16 Special Faded(490 R&T's) and the Standard HP has the neck binding. The STANDARD T has a Tektoid NUT. DANG, these are all SWEET guitars and I have played a '17 Standard & Faded and wanted to take them home immediately. Checking out the EBONY STANDARD HP and its just frikkin gorgeous and it SCREEEEMS !!!......think imma gonna have to go for that one.....the Aliminum case is PSYCHO lookin'. The 2017 SG STANDARD HP is going to have to be the one as it has all the things I want and only 1 thing I do not want, the neck binding....but it should take at least 8-10 years to need fret work........thats it, GOIN' FOR IT !!!!

anyone havin trouble posting pics ? wanted to show upgrade's done to a '16 SG Special Faded, a Bigsby, Chrome PUP covers, Silver cap knobs,SG truss rod cover...and HSC came out to just a tad over what I'd have paid @ full retail+tax....Guitar Center does good discounts on holiday sales !!!!

I just opened the box on my new 2017 Cherryburst Standard T. So far I can find ZERO flaws. neck angle is not to steep or too shallow, just in the middle with enough room to lower the bridge if needed. I for one am different than the SG norm because I prefer the shallower bevels and less horn tapers of the 80's and 90's models. I just think they look burlier this way and the 17' delivers in that regard.I also prefer the large neck joint combined with the small pickguard... that combo has not been offered on a non custom/limited SG Standard since the early to mid 1980's.

Mine has very nice grain and a two piece center seam body. Nice very dark rosewood fretboard, the back is pretty dark and you have to hold it under the light to see the wood grain but that's ok with me. They say it has a slim taper neck but it definitely seems a bit chunkier than the slim taper on my 2015 Midtown Standard.... very nice regardless.

Archived