Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson/epiphone hummingbird frankenstein

NewBirdDude

Hey guys. I'm a regular on a couple of other guitar forums but its my first time posting here. I think I found a guitar that I'm really considering putting a modest offer on. The seller has the item listed as a Gibson hummingbird neck with an Epiphone humingbird body. Before you read on, It seems that there is a good possibility that its a fake but I may still be open to paying used Epiphone price for this guitar.

From the pictures, the neck actually looks more like a songwriter neck. The picture of the back of the headstock is too blurry to identify a SN. If there is no SN, I'll have to assume it's fake. Although the inlays look like real pearl (they seem more reflective than pearloid).

Next we get really strange. The body finish looks more like the current epiphone bodies but the sticker in the soundhole says gibson. Although the serial number on the sticker corresponds to an epiphone made in Quingdao. Has anyone ever seen an Epiphone body with a Gibson sticker or should we assume this is also fake? or possibly a real hummingbird body?

I'm considering making a pretty modest offer in spite of all its strange short-commings; a little more in the price range of a used epiphone hummingbird. I've also placed this in the epiphone acoustic board; it seems like this guitar may bridge the gap.

s_l1600_4.jpg

s_l1600_3.jpg

s_l1600_2.jpg

s_l1600_1.jpg

That “W” on the pickguard looked familiar - recalling now, and re-finding the listing:

"Guitar body was damaged so I had the local store switch the body…

Might just be a matter of word choice, but if you were to undertake a repair such as a body swap (neck swap), you’d probably be familiar with the term “luthier”. More likely a wannabe G owner on a budget who decided to make a Gibson Hummingbird out of an Epiphone, but had a change of heart. Or conscience.

Probably cost more for the “Gibson” (if that’s what it is) neck than the Epi. Speaking of which: has anyone seen the SJ-200/L-5 CES “bird’s beak” at the end of the fretboard extension on a Hummingbird? There is some mention of this in the ’60’s, but that had block, not split parallelogram, inlays.

...Probably cost more for the “Gibson” (if that’s what it is) neck than the Epi. Speaking of which: has anyone seen the SJ-200/L-5 CES “bird’s beak” at the end of the fretboard extension on a Hummingbird? There is some mention of this in the ’60’s, but that had block, not split parallelogram, inlays.

That's kind of what was making me think it's a songwriter neck. Seems weird for a fake to have an extra flourish not present on the original. The songwriter has parallelograms and a "bird's beak".

Yeah thats something I knew about the songwriter. Kind of turns the bird into a song-dove.

Although, I was also worried that having a long scale length neck placed on a body designed for short scale length might make the scale length even longer than 25.5".

any input on the missing SN? ok or red flag?

Yeah thats something I knew about the songwriter. Kind of turns the bird into a song-dove.

Although, I was also worried that having a long scale length neck placed on a body designed for short scale length might make the scale length even longer than 25.5".

any input on the missing SN? ok or red flag?

Yes, putting a long scale neck on a short scale guitar would most likely throw the fret spacing off, unless the bridge/saddle was repositioned.

*poof*

For me, that institutional sh!tcan in the photos' background puts it all into perspective��

Is that photo taken in a restroom? At the bus station?

Or truckstop or interstate rest area?

Yes, putting a long scale neck on a short scale guitar would most likely throw the fret spacing off, unless the bridge/saddle was repositioned.

*poof*

Is that photo taken in a restroom? At the bus station?

Don't know anything about hybrid guitars like this appears to be, but I'm always suspicious when the seller can't take a good pic of a serial number. With the technology of the last dozen years, pretty easy to get clear pics. I'd avoid it and just get an Epi bird or Dove if that's where the interest is....Good luck with your hunt. [thumbup]

Check out the heel on the neck behind the nut. Must be a custom one off Gibson design aimed at the Martins'

The Hummingbirds did pick up the carved heel, or "volute" on the back of the neck during the Gibson dark days, around '69 through '81, but they also had the block inlays at that time. Just adds to the mystery: who's neck is it anyway?

LgKtjQM.png

The Hummingbirds did pick up the carved heel, or "volute" on the back of the neck during the Gibson dark days, around '69 through '81, but they also had the block inlays at that time. Just adds to the mystery: who's neck is it anyway?

LgKtjQM.png

As long as it's not mine, I'm going to stop worrying about it! It's the kind of thing that, if you're away from home without a guitar, might be worth picking up from a flea market or junk shop for $40. Then again, maybe not....

Is the lack of a serial number on the back of the neck really the only problem you have with this thing?

Yeah I just wrote the rest of the post to throw everyone off the scent of my true singular interest, in the headstock SN...

Come on man. Don't make me sorry I asked for help. It was legitimate to ask because many members had replied yet not addressed it.

I appreciate everyone else's help. For now I think my planned offer of 200 dollars will not be submitted.

Yeah I just wrote the rest of the post to throw everyone off the scent of my true singular interest, in the headstock SN...

Come on man. Don't make me sorry I asked for help. It was legitimate to ask because many members had replied yet not addressed it.

I appreciate everyone else's help. For now I think my planned offer of 200 dollars will not be submitted.

My point was no other aspect of the thing is legitimate, so the headstock SN makes no difference. A lot of fakes have a phony SN stamped on the back, but a lot of others don't. The appearance of a stamped SN is not proof of a legitimate or fake guitar. You have to look at everything to make a determination. The different back bracing pattern, the copy pickguard, the wrong neck, the knockoff tuners, they all add up to fake. It might be a good $200 guitar, but it is not nor has it ever been a Hummingbird (not even an Epiphone Hummingbird).

It may still be worth $100. I wouldn't go $200 because you can easily get an Epiphone Hummingbird for that, which will have real Grover tuners and laminated, although higher quality woods. And a decent pickup.

My point was no other aspect of the thing is legitimate, so the headstock SN makes no difference. A lot of fakes have a phony SN stamped on the back, but a lot of others don't. The appearance of a stamped SN is not proof of a legitimate or fake guitar. You have to look at everything to make a determination. The different back bracing pattern, the copy pickguard, the wrong neck, the knockoff tuners, they all add up to fake. It might be a good $200 guitar, but it is not nor has it ever been a Hummingbird (not even an Epiphone Hummingbird).

It may still be worth $100. I wouldn't go $200 because you can easily get an Epiphone Hummingbird for that, which will have real Grover tuners and laminated, although higher quality woods. And a decent pickup.

OK - I raise my estimate to $50😌

Archived