Gibson Brands Forums

Volume Knob Issue

S.P.

I'm having an issue with the neck pu volume knob on my 2016 Standard LP. Had it for 3 months with no issues and one day it just started. From 1 to 9 it works fine. Once you get to 9.5 it starts to crackle, at 10 no volume. Turn volume down from 10 to 9 it works fine again.

S.P.

It's probably gotten a little dust or dirt in it.

First thing to try is just rotating it back and forth real fast through the affected area. If that doesn't solve the problem, the next try is a potentiometer/control spray type cleaner. "Deoxit" is a common name brand. Spray some of this into the pot can, access is usually available through the solder lug area, and again spin it back and forth quickly a dozen or so times.

If this doesn't work..... you'll have to have the pot replaced.

Quick question about that deoxit stuff, does it evaporate?

How does it work, you spray it into the pot and with the pressure the liquid flows out and brings the dirt with it?

And after cleaning would it be necessary to use some special lubricant. Because 3-in-one gets dense and sticky over time, I can't imagine

that it would work for potenciometers.

Before Deoxit, I used to use a spray can of Radio Shack contact cleaner and that worked good. Then I discovered Deoxit a few years ago and that's all I use. BTW, a little Deoxit goes a long way. It's a bit pricier than others but worth it. I also use the liquid bottles with a brush cap to clean and protect switch and jack contacts.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey that can of color TV tuner lube lasted for 200+ guitars that I serviced or owned in the last 35 years..

Who even knew that TVs weren't color or had control knobs?? I still have an old black & white with knobs in the basement hooked to an Atari & Pong..

These new fangled flat panel TVs don't even have picture tubes.. Tubes?? HaHa!!

I hope that I'll pass the can of Deoxit to one of my sons when I pass..

Just a tip.. IF you can't gain access to the rear of the pot either because it doesn't have a slot or is a stacked pot you can put a piece of rubber tubing/heat shrink tubing over the shaft after removing the knob & spray it from there & do the normal rotate the knob quickly 0-10 back & forth to clean/lube the pot, Did a stacked pot in a f----- bass the other day..

You can also put a small hole in the tubing with a drill bit & use it like this $20+ tool from Stew-Mac ---> Pot Cleaning Cap

Also most recommend D5 Deoxit but I was sold the F5 at Guitar Center & it works just fine for my needs.. Caig Deoxit Guide

It appears there is a Deoxit F100 too that is also for faders too.. They offer many great products but the D5 is a contact cleaner..

ROCK ON Gibson Lovers.. Keep em Lubed.. Gary/Hk

• 1 month later...

Been having this issue with my new Custom Lite. While I could probably send it back to Gibson and get it fixed, I'd rather just upgrade the pots if the issue persists b/c the rest of the guitar is so damn nice.

Archived