Gibson Brands Forums

Brazilian or Indian

jedzep

Not without microscopic analysis and even then it would be inconclusive.

There are over 100 subspecies of Dalbergia and it's almost impossible to say which is which because wood doesn't have the equivalent of human DNA.

P.

I got into Brazilian a couple years ago to educate myself strictly in a layman's manner.

The characteristics I look for -

Spore density. BRW is sparse, EI and others are like Swiss cheese. The one shown in your link does not look sparse.

Smell - BRW gives off a chocolate smell. Kind of hard to smell it over the computer. Maybe if you put your nose up against the screen. Sometimes you need to sand it lightly to arouse it. (the wood, not the screen)

Shavings - If you place shavings of BRW in a test tube of water and shake it up the particles are buoyant and if you turn off the lights and shine a blacklight or UV light on them they will glow. EI will sink to the bottom and not glow.

Most important test - take it to someone who knows. I took my last guitar to Bob Willcutt of Willcutt guitars. I had someone question it's authenticity due to it's very straight grain. Bob did not think it was BRW due to it's appearance also. He did a test and said he was 100% it was BRW. So appearance is the least reliable.

Good luck.

Archived