Gibson Brands Forums

Help identifying my les paul

Guest Jack Healy

Guest Jack Healy

Hello,

Please can you help identify or provide details about the finish on my Les paul standard from 2004? The main point of contention is that the neck cavity seems to indicate a honey burst finish, but it is a matte satin blonde finish. Has the guitar been refinished? if so someone did an incredible job! the neck is satin also (which makes it lovely and fast).

SN#02634396

Hardware- chrome Binding and plastic hardware - peach

The top is flame

Neck pu cavity- HB bridge pu cavity- LP5+

the finish is incredibly similar to the guitar center exclusive 'blonde beauty', and also some custom shop models from the same period. everything about it indicates to me that it was made this way (i.e. no indications of a refinish around the pickup cavities and rear control cavities) but apparently it is meant to be honey burst.

btw I LOVE this guitar, it's so resonant, feels so smooth and sounds enormous. I'm just trying to understand its history a bit better. I bought it used from someone who also bought it second hand and didn't get on with it, so can't get any more info from there. Also it has its official hard case, but not the certificate.

photo gallery here - https://goo.gl/photos/sRPrTbuoPBD83DNAA

if anyone can provide some insight i would be very grateful. thank you,

Jack

Hmm im not sure man.. I have a feeling the top was re-finished.. Cant find anything on it BUT as you say there are exclusives done for shops...

The best thing to do is to email Gibson Customer Service.. Email them those pics and the serial number and they should be able to tell you what it was when it was made.

Archived