Gibson Brands Forums

Fancy a Dumble?

jdgm

There was a review of one in Guitarist magazine last month...

That was actually a pretty good demo.

I'll just have to take the guy's word for how good it sounds in real life; through my pc's speakers it sounded very good but similar to loads of other (slightly more affordable) amps.

Didn't someone here (badbluesplayer?) build a Dumble clone from a kit a few years ago?................eusa_think.gif...............

Pip.

Didn't someone here (badbluesplayer?) build a Dumble clone from a kit a few years ago?................

We built five or so Dumble style kit amps from Ceriatone. There's lots of "overdrive" type amps based on the Dumbles. Two Rock, Bludotone, Fuchs ODS. I'm getting ready to rebuild a vintage Bassman head into a two channel footswitchable ODS type amp like what Fuchs is doing.

The Fender Supersonics are very similar to Dumbles, BTW. They just aren't individually tuned for each customer, so they can sound pretty lifeless unless they're tweaked.

The Paul Rivera-designed Fender Twin Reverb II has a 3-stage cascading gain lead channel, meant to compete with Dumbles. All of that particular range sound superb, and the smaller models are highly sought after.

Rivera also designed the red-knob Twin and associated amps (I gig with a red-knob Super 60) then went on to greater things with his own amps.

I never tried one but they had a good rep.....and something called 'Ninja Boost'!! [laugh]

We built five or so Dumble style kit amps from Ceriatone....

The Fender Supersonics are very similar to Dumbles, BTW. They just aren't individually tuned for each customer, so they can sound pretty lifeless unless they're tweaked.

I'm glad I wasn't just imagining things!

Interesting to read the last bit. How would you go about 'tweaking' a Supersonic? Is it a bias thing? Excuse my complete ignorance in the workings of an amp's circuitry......msp_blushing.gif......

The Paul Rivera-designed Fender Twin Reverb II has a 3-stage cascading gain lead channel, meant to compete with Dumbles...

What time-period would that have been, jdgm?

I ask because an ex-forumite friend examined the schematics of the Music Man 2x12 Sixty Five and he mentioned it had something like you are describing here. From memory I think he said there were 4 gain-stages which were gradually dialled out of the signal path as the master volume was increased meaning that natural valve overdrive took over the louder amp became.

But I could have got that completely arseovertit.............

Pip.

EDIT : Ernie Ball / Music Man re-introduced some Music Man amps in 2014?!?!........... msp_scared.gifmsp_w00t.gif.............. https://www.music-man.com/amps

Is it just me, or isn't there usually a wall of them behind Greg Koch in the Wildwood demo videos? I don't think I've ever seen him plugged into one of them, though. And they're always there: presumably nobody in Colorado buys them.

Archived