Gibson Brands Forums

2016 Faded T Studio finish

bjones1972

I bought a 2016 Faded T Studio last December. It was brand new and I chose the fireburst color. I'm not a professionally gigging musician, but I play my guitars regularly. I've noticed that the finish on the guitar where my picking arm rests against the body has gotten really glossy. The back of the neck has also become more slick and glossy....I've had experience with poly satin finishes, but not with nitro satin finish. Is this something I should be concerned about?

I bought a 2016 Faded T Studio last December. It was brand new and I chose the fireburst color. I'm not a professionally gigging musician, but I play my guitars regularly. I've noticed that the finish on the guitar where my picking arm rests against the body has gotten really glossy. The back of the neck has also become more slick and glossy....I've had experience with poly satin finishes, but not with nitro satin finish. Is this something I should be concerned about?

that depends on WHY you might be concerned. you might be one of those guys (like me) who does their best to keep their guitar looking as new as possible. in such a case, a relatively fragile finish like nitro might concern you because they wear much quicker than say, the polyester on a strat. if you play the guitar, you'll develop player's wear. that's just how it goes.

otoh, you might be one of those guys who looks at a guitar with "honest" wear (meaning, not relic'd) and enjoy the stories of R&R battle that such wear might suggest.

if that's you, then you definitely bought the right guitar.

if you are in the first camp, fear not, because that player's wear does come with a bonus. you'll find as the wear increases, so will the comfort of your instrument.

much like a pair of jeans you've had since forever, the wear will tell your stories of R&R battle to others, and will feel like it was made just for you. because it kinda was. think of it as a bonding experience between just the two of you.

of course, i might be a crock of shhhhhhh and others may present a better opinion

that depends on WHY you might be concerned. you might be one of those guys (like me) who does their best to keep their guitar looking as new as possible. in such a case, a relatively fragile finish like nitro might concern you because they wear much quicker than say, the polyester on a strat. if you play the guitar, you'll develop player's wear. that's just how it goes.

otoh, you might be one of those guys who looks at a guitar with "honest" wear (meaning, not relic'd) and enjoy the stories of R&R battle that such wear might suggest.

if that's you, then you definitely bought the right guitar.

if you are in the first camp, fear not, because that player's wear does come with a bonus. you'll find as the wear increases, so will the comfort of your instrument.

much like a pair of jeans you've had since forever, the wear will tell your stories of R&R battle to others, and will feel like it was made just for you. because it kinda was. think of it as a bonding experience between just the two of you.

of course, i might be a crock of shhhhhhh and others may present a better opinion

No, you answered my question. I was just wondering about moisture and other elements possibly ruining the guitar if the finish is compromised...I just don't know a lot about it because this is my first Gibson LP. Thanks for your input.

I have a satin finished LP, very thin coat on those.

First it was satin, after some months the back of the neck and where my arm rests became shiny.

Looked goofy, bought Virtuoso polish and cleaner and made it all shiny..

That was in 2014? anyway kept playing and now I start to se wood on the back and where my arm rests.

I love the aged look, and I'm sure the guitar is fine structurally, stays in tune and sounds fantastic.

IMGP0153_zpsmbcf9rir.jpg

Archived