Gibson Brands Forums

Played a new Dylan J200 today!

drathbun

Dropped by the shop to visit my SJ200 Golden Age SJ200 which is in for repair and I found this new Bob Dylan J200 B stock on sale $600 off! It has a slight lifting of one of the pickguards. Gorgeous instrument. Plays and sounds exactly like my Golden Age.

IMG_3329.jpg

IMG_3328%20copy.jpg

IMG_3327%20copy.jpg

I tried one of these some time ago - sounded very good. Though taking one - even 2 - pick guard(s) off would liberate the bass.

@Sal - these are known as bella voce, which might mean beautiful voice or ditto song/singing.

I think it's an old south-European deco-tradition Bob could have picked up to fancy on the road, , , or in Little Italy, Manhattan ;-)

Also recall Polecastro calling them something like a flower which deteriorates up the fret-board - well, he's kind of right, , , but pretty pretty they are. .

You are right that is a lot of pickguard, but what a looker.

Agree, , , , tho I prefer guitars this ornamented as vintage thus rounded patinated instruments/objects.

Just out of the plant they appear quite self-promoting - almost too dressed up'n'loaded for music.

But a hep for the way the other acoustics reflect in that top lacquer - rather sophisticated shot.

The ones on your 34 appear to be Wreath inlays from the 30's

The Dylan inlays are the Bella Voce inlays also from the 30's

JC

Gibson advertised it as Varied Pearl "Flower and Leaf" Inlay on Fingerboard

I'll still call them banjo inlays

Dropped by the shop to visit my SJ200 Golden Age SJ200 which is in for repair and I found this new Bob Dylan J200 B stock on sale $600 off! It has a slight lifting of one of the pickguards. Gorgeous instrument. Plays and sounds exactly like my Golden Age.

[/url]

IMG_3328%20copy.jpg

I like everything about the looks except the headstock inlay but that would not keep me from getting one.

I tried one of these some time ago - sounded very good. Though taking one - even 2 - pick guard(s) off would liberate the bass.

I used to think that too. When I owned a '77 'bird, I thought the dull, thumpy, toneless sound of that POS was due to the heavy pickguard. However, it ended up actually being the bracing construction (double braced).

This Bob Dylan model is as lively and bass resonant as my SJ200 Golden Age, which I A/B'd with the Dylan just after the photos were shot.

I used to think that too. When I owned a '77 'bird, I thought the dull, thumpy, toneless sound of that POS was due to the heavy pickguard. However, it ended up actually being the bracing construction (double braced).

This Bob Dylan model is as lively and bass resonant as my SJ200 Golden Age, which I A/B'd with the Dylan just after the photos were shot.

Ouh yeah, norlins were norlins.

And the Bob-200 I played didn't feel suffocated at all. A very convincing Jumbo. One if the strongest I've met (I find them highly different - not least regarding volume).

Still it would be freer with no guard(s) - never mind.

That looks so much nice on your photos than it does on Gibsons Website.

I was not keen on the double guard personally at first but it grows on me.

The J200 is a large guitar though. I prefer the size of my J185 but I still would like a Gibson J200 to ad to the stable!

Archived