Gibson Brands Forums

J100X in shop... worried

huckster

I just put my '96 J100X in the shop with a nasty crack in the back of the neck just below the head stock. Guitar fix guy said it's probably related to a truss rod malfunction. Has anyone ever gone through a neck replacement? I'm thinking worst case scenario. If it's not warranty covered what kind of $$$ am I looking at? thanks, huckster

I just put my '96 J100X in the shop with a nasty crack in the back of the neck just below the head stock. Guitar fix guy said it's probably related to a truss rod malfunction. Has anyone ever gone through a neck replacement? I'm thinking worst case scenario. If it's not warranty covered what kind of $$$ am I looking at? thanks, huckster

They most likely won't replace the neck. Headstock repairs are pretty common but the truss rod problem

might mean taking off the fretboard. Best case scenario is probably around $500. Worst case........?

Did you happen to take a photo of the crack before it went into the shop? The repair person thought maybe related to truss rod; did you happen to overtorque the tr? Or did the neck have an impact? I recently looked at a guitar that had what sounds like a similar crack, said to be of unknown origin. The guitar was at the time in the Rocky Mtn area, high altitude, and thought to have "developed" the crack on the back of the neck behind frets 1 and 2, due to low humidity levels. At least this is how the seller suggested how the crack might've happened. Didn't the repair person give you an estimate? Shouldn't be a deal breaker, and neck repairs are widely considered to be stronger than before, if done properly.

As said already headstock repairs are quite a common fix. Especially on Gibsons. I have a Les Paul Traditional that the headstock broke clean off. The repair job is superb and it's an amazing guitar to play. You would never know it had been repaired. Truss rod could be $$$ depends on what exactly has happened.

Did you happen to take a photo of the crack before it went into the shop? The repair person thought maybe related to truss rod; did you happen to overtorque the tr? Or did the neck have an impact? I recently looked at a guitar that had what sounds like a similar crack, said to be of unknown origin. The guitar was at the time in the Rocky Mtn area, high altitude, and thought to have "developed" the crack on the back of the neck behind frets 1 and 2, due to low humidity levels. At least this is how the seller suggested how the crack might've happened. Didn't the repair person give you an estimate? Shouldn't be a deal breaker, and neck repairs are widely considered to be stronger than before, if done properly.

I should know something Friday. They are going to see if it's warranty covered. Either way I'll have some idea of the $$ involved. It's worth fixing or replacing the neck. Hoping for the best. huckster

It's probably had a bump which created a hairline crack, and that has worsened over time with temp/humidity changes.

A Gibson headstock break is nothing to worry about. It happened twice on my old J200, once on my old AJ and again on a J45 I had (although I'm a working musician, my guitars are well looked after-these were accidents out of my control!), all were repaired invisibly and were arguably stronger afterwards!

Archived