Gibson Brands Forums

Mini humbucker to p90

Allenjason95

Hi, I have a 78 deluxe and while I love the looks and feel of the guitar I just don't like the mini humbuckers. They're not the original Gibson pickups, they're Seymour Duncans.

My question is will p90s fit without any rerouting to the body? I don't want to physically alter the guitar itself, just swap pickups. If the p90s will fit would I need to change anything else as far as electronics or will the original stuff work with p90s?

I've looked online and found stuff about the swap but nothing that answered my basic questions so any info is appreciated.

In 1969, Gibson had a pile of Epiphone Mini Humbuckers left over when they shifted production of Epiphone's to Japan. They were able to add the Mini Humbucker to the existing Les Paul Gold top that was introduced a year earlier with P-90s by simply routing an opening in a P-90 cover & adding a few minor modifacations. To make a long story short, a P-90 should slide right in. A book I have with schematics, shows the Les Paul Special & Les Paul Deluxe having the same wiring. 500k pots & .02 caps.

In 1969, Gibson had a pile of Epiphone Mini Humbuckers left over when they shifted production of Epiphone's to Japan. They were able to add the Mini Humbucker to the existing Les Paul Gold top that was introduced a year earlier with P-90s by simply routing an opening in a P-90 cover & adding a few minor modifacations. To make a long story short, a P-90 should slide right in. A book I have with schematics, shows the Les Paul Special & Les Paul Deluxe having the same wiring. 500k pots & .02 caps.

Thanks. I knew the story of why they went with the MH originally but just wasn't sure if P90s would plug right in or not or if the electronics were the same. I appreciate it!

Archived