Gibson Brands Forums

Metallica US Tour

saturn

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I went ahead and got 2 tickets through the Radio Pre-sale today. Still gonna try to win some on 98 Rock though.

I'm not the hugest Metallica fan in the world, and I actually saw them way back in 1988 at Monsters Of Rock. But I really like what I've heard of the new album (I actually won it on the radio but never received it), and I really like Volbeat and I think it's cool that the whole tour starts right here in my town.

So I guess I should start working on my old head-bangin moves. :rolleyes:

Saw them once. Never again. In my mind they are a bunch of tools who used to make good metal, but now just blow. I can't belive they let the documentary Some Kind Of Monster get made. They look like such the bunch of whinny pompous arrogant rock stars they are. F-them.

OK. I'll try to have a good time.

Their first 4 records were part of my life back then, they changed with the black album but everything else did too.

Now all these metal fans say they feel betrayed when in reality sales for ALL Metal albums dropped like a brick in the early 90's now every fan claims to have stayed the course, I guess they did but did not buy albums or went to shows.

I did not like when they went from Thrash Metal to Heavy Metal because despite a lot of good songs they did not capture the excitement. The black album is a fantastic album but it is a Heavy Metal album.

I do like Death Magentic and the new album is OK, half is great half is boring.

If I went only to shows of bands that have better output than they did 30 years ago then I would go to zero shows.

An historically significant band no matter how you look at it. Synonymous with Thrash Metal, and then the Black album being so successful with a broader audience. Personally it's only the three Cliff Burton albums that I enthuse about - they were genuinely new and exciting to us pre and early teens in those days - but others will prefer what followed I'm sure as it became more 'accessible'. I'm sure the show will be well produced with a great PA system and you'll enjoy it for what it is.

As an aside, I can't say I've listened to them to any degree, but I remember A7X being the darlings of the guitar magazines quite a few years back - didn't realise they are still going. Maybe I should have another listen sometime.

I don't mind going if a once-great band tours an album that is just okay, or even bad. Not even if they've done that for the last 30 years. It's just that I don't go if they start releasing albums that I think are so bad and/or bland that I get nauseous.

I've tried getting into the new album, seeing as "Death Magnetic" had some (just some) okay stuff on it. I've listened to it multiple times, and all I can remember is I like "Moth", the blatant Maiden rip-off in "Atlas, rise" is embarrassing and horribly executed, and the rest is... nothing. I couldn't hum you a bar, because, in my opinion, there's nothing there. It's so bland, it simply doesn't register. Whereas, say, "Load"... It's not album 1-4, but I could hum you the songs, and I don't think they're TERRIBLE - most are pretty good, but at that time, we were still measuring against the 80s albums.

But hey - that's me.

And in all likelihood, FZ.

Not saying you are not going to have a good time. I just think they are lame, and don't make good music anymore. Look at what Lars tried to do with Napster. Now what Napster did became a reality and beyond.

What reality is that? An industry where record labels make all the money and the artist gets shafted?

Please elaborate.

I don't mind going if a once-great band tours an album that is just okay, or even bad. Not even if they've done that for the last 30 years. It's just that I don't go if they start releasing albums that I think are so bad and/or bland that I get nauseous.

I've tried getting into the new album, seeing as "Death Magnetic" had some (just some) okay stuff on it. I've listened to it multiple times, and all I can remember is I like "Moth", the blatant Maiden rip-off in "Atlas, rise" is embarrassing and horribly executed, and the rest is... nothing. I couldn't hum you a bar, because, in my opinion, there's nothing there. It's so bland, it simply doesn't register. Whereas, say, "Load"... It's not album 1-4, but I could hum you the songs, and I don't think they're TERRIBLE - most are pretty good, but at that time, we were still measuring against the 80s albums.

But hey - that's me.

And in all likelihood, FZ.

FZ doesn't like anything, really. But yea if you don't like a record or a band there's nothing that's going to make you.

Metallica will sell out every show, AX7 are awesome live too and Volverá are a lot of fun. That's good for the metal genre.

I am just yanking your chain because you seem to be crabby a lot but I get it.

I stopped listening to Def Leppard after Pyromania...but I just bought tickets to see them again, I saw them back in the day and well, I'll just focus on the songs I do like, should be a good time.

As for the new Metallica, like I said I like half the album, the other half I skip.

My favorite track is an instant classic.

http://youtu.be/m46Z0-HXySo

I first heard Metallica back when I was in high school. I didn't hate or dislike them, but they weren't really on my radar. I considered myself somewhat a metal head, but was more into the older bands like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Scorpions etc. Also like some of the American party bands like Van Halen, RATT, and KIX. I heard some of their songs from other people who had albums or what few songs got some airplay.

I actually like Metallica more from The Black Album forward, when most "real" fans thought they sold out or whatever. I still have never owned one of their albums. But I thought they started writing "songs" at that point. I never was much into that thrash, speed, death metal or hard core stuff. To me, those bands weren't so much making music or writing songs. I'm sure many will disagree, but it sounded to me like those bands were creating fast, angry noise that caused awkward kids to slam into each other and jump off stages and such. Honestly, my crowd kinda laughed at those guys, even though I did have some friends who were into it. I used to lump Metallica in with those type bands.

IMO Metallic didn't get soft, they just grew up. I never saw the documentary, but what I've heard from everyone I know who did see it, I'm glad I haven't. Again, I'm not anywhere near their biggest fan, and they probably wouldn't make my Top 10 list. But I am looking forward to seeing this tour while they are older, but still playing at a very high level. Much older, and they might start looking silly doing this stuff. :rolleyes:

Thrash metal is an amazing genre of music, it is the most intense metal style yet it is musically complex.

Once things get to extreme metal where there are no discernible riffs and are void of melody I am out.

Back in the day my group of about 20 friends all got into thrash metal when Metallica came out but we did not stop liking ofher hard rock bands and even enjoyed glam metal.

I saw Metallica in '92 or '93 at the end of The Black Album Tour when I was stationed in Hawaii, and all it was L-O-U-D. Way louder than it needed to be in a tiny arena. I think I was deaf for at least 3 days after the show. Thanks. I do remember them playing Seek And Destroy for what seemed like a small eternity.

To me all shows are louder than they need to be, I wear plugs that attenuate 21db and are absolutely fantastic. I recommend them.

Doesn't it sound like listening to the concert through a pillow.

Not at all with the right plugs, you can actually hear the music better since your ears are not overwhelmed.

I just had my hearing test this week, no deterioration in the last 3 years, that's great for me.

A lot of negative comments on this thread. I think when a band achieves the level of popularity that Metallica have, that always breeds contempt with some people. I may be the only person here who actually loves both early and later Metallica, except for St. Anger which really did suck. I also agree the film 'Some Kind of Monster' was awful and they did come off looking like a bunch of whining, spoilt idiots, but I listen to their music and don't much pay too much attention to them as people. I thought Death Magnetic was great, but haven't listened to the new one yet. I do find it amusing that Metallica have only produced 10 albums in 34 years. That just seems lazy to me.

Not at all with the right plugs, you can actually hear the music better since your ears are not overwhelmed.

I went to a Dinosaur Jr gig at a pub at Byron Bay last month ('ken awesome btw) and had the regular old cheapo foam earplugs in, cos those boys have five full stacks dimed and drum's mic'd to the max even in small gigs, and it was pretty good ear protection and was like watching a live album if that makes sense - the white-noise distortion overtones and sizzle heavily reduced along with a portion of the volume. Every now and then I'd take the earplugs out to see how it was and after about 10 seconds I'd think 'that's gotta be doing me damage' and put em back in. The band seem to use the same things. What would be great would be 'tuneable' plugs that you could adjust the input volume as I would have been OK with a bit more volume. If they make such things I'd buy them if I was a regular loud gig attendee, or for band rehearsals would be cool too.

Cody - to be fair the new one has a few of the best songs they've done since MOP in my opinion.

(TooL fans would say Metallica are prolific)

Archived