Gibson Brands Forums

Keep the Sigs? Photos and Recording Added!

BluesKing777

I just bought this 24 year old Lowden S35 cedar top with Tasmanian Blackwood back and sides.

But a previous owner got the top of the guitar signed by Tommy Emmanuel and his brother Phil Emmanuel.

Should I keep the sigs?

Interested to see what people here think.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lowden-S35-cedar-figured-Tasmanian-blackwood-acoustic-guitar-amp-hardcase-/262788752347?rmvSB=true&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=ktnY3TdRQ0VlftBzS4t04IiVluU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

BluesKing777.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But a previous owner got the top of the guitar signed by Tommy Emmanuel and his brother Phil Emmanuel.

Well, at least I've heard of them! (I'd certainly remove sigs of someone I'd never heard of.) And I must say, the sigs and their positioning are well done. They're not just scrawled randomly onto the lower bout. That's quite a guitar, BTW!

How do you feel about the Emmanuel brothers?

In 1987, when it was only a beat-up CBS instrument, I had first Richard Thompson and then Dave Alvin sign my incredibly battered 1968 Telecaster. This was at a time when it was a working-man's axe that had already been refretted, had already had the sawed-off original bridgeplate replaced with a Schechter, the lacquer was all played off the neck, blah, blah, blah. It was a cool memento of times I got to meet two musicians whose work I greatly admired. I figured it was fine, because I had no plans to sell ol' Blondie because at the time - who was gonna pay top dollar for a '68 CBS Telecaster?

Fast forward to late 2011, when I haven't played electric in close to 20 years, funds are tight, I have two small children to feed and clothe, blah, blah, blah. Lo and behold, 60s CBS Fenders are suddenly collectible. There is actually a dealer who wants my battered old Telecaster with all the swapped out parts. I am sure the c.1954 4-digit serial number neckplate fitted by a previous owner prior to my acquiring the guitar in '81 helped that. Later, when he listed the guitar (after putting an appropriate '60s neckplate on it and listing the older one separately for larger $), he commented on the signatures by pretty much blowing them off - despite having a statement from me about who signed it, where the guitar had been played, etc.

I suspect the next owner broke out the naptha and removed them, and eh, why not? If the signatures have no especial value to YOU, then they are meaningless.

I think I'd leave the signatures alone for a bit and play and live with the guitar for awhile and see how it sits with you over time. You can always remove them (love the link to the Goof Off stuff!) at any time in the future but you can't put them back. I mean, what if Tommy or Phil become the Prime Minister ten years from now or figure out a way to end all wars or some such? You'd be posting up a story about how you once had a guitar that had their signature. Then again in ten years they might be some obscure name, like some 1930's singing cowboy's inlaid name on early J-200's we see now and then that we haven't a clue who the person was.

After trying hard, I can't honestly think of ANYONE's signature I'd want on one of MY guitars.

Sports Star, Politician, Author, founder of Apple, No guitar genius or pop star. Not even Madonna. Now, if I purchased a 1960s SJ200 with a verified Elvis signature on it -it would be for investment purposes only, so sure - I'd keep the signature. Because, well, he's dead and the guitar will increase in value for sure. As RustyStrings pointed out - signatures like this will not add value to the guitar. They don't mean anything to you personally ( because You didn't get Them to Sign Your Guitar in person) - and, except for a very, very select few who actually know who the Emmanuels are ( I didn't know Tommy had a brother) -when they see it - they would think it is is just glorified graffiti. My 2 cents.

Certainly, it's up to you. You knew the signatures were there to start with, so it probably wasn't that big of deal for you in regards to the guitar itself (looks, sound, playability, price, condition). Personally, I have very little interest in signed guitars. The autograph means literally nothing to me since I rarely, if ever, make money on a guitar I sell....lol..... Unless I was a collector or some dude making money on the fast turn-over of guitars, I likely wouldn't have bought it to begin with. Of course, many others like owning/playing a guitar that they feel has a connection to an artist they admire. Not a thing wrong with that, especially if it's a guitar you really like. It's one of those "six of one, half-dozen of another" deals. If you like them, keep them.

I like signature models but as far as signing the top of the guitar, I would have to have a guitar designated as an autograph collecting guitar and treat it as such.

I like the label signatures that Gibson does.

My current sig models are Chet (Gibson and Gretsch), Les, Elvis, Eric Clapton, Jackson Browne, Dwight Yoakam, Pete Cosey, Marty Stuart, Roy Smeck

A friend of mine has a few guitars but took his Baby Taylor to a concert for Tommy to sign. Tommy is very nice and will sign anything so it certainly doesn't add any value and may devalue the guitar.

I've thought that if I had the opportunity to have one of the artist that I have their signature model give me an autograph, I would put it on a spare pick guard or the back of the headstock, not the top of guitar.

An exception would have been a Chet or Les signature. They could sign it anywhere they wanted to.

All a matter of taste. If you're a big Tommy Emmanuel CPG fan (I am) treasure it. It wasn't your decision to put it on there but since it is, leave it.

How do you feel about the Emmanuel brothers?

'Xactly - that's the main Q

Then did you pay extra for those graphs and would you like to stay in that mill when/if re-selling.

Like fortyearspickn I didn't know Emmanuel had a (playing) brother. You could get rid of him - would make the whole thing more discrete.

Admit I'm in doubt. T.E. doesn't mean a lot to me, but had it been a hero of mine it would have stayed right there. .

Autographs on tops = basically a mess

voted undecided

......just wondering why you had it signed in the first place only to decide if you want to keep or sell?

Keep it and play the thing or if signatures mean something to someone if you do sell? maybe it'll fetch a few more $$$$ depending on how popular the artist is. Or hang it on a wall for display, maybe donate?

Lots of options here! Go with your guts as always! [thumbup]

Trans

, , , , but I've got a few albums signed by the artists .

That's a pretty coool thing - I recall Board-member Zomb had his Super Session album signed by the members back in the day.

And imagine he would wrinkle his nose when hearing 'bout my autographed copy of Sunshine Superman.

Bill Mack tells about the time, years ago, when he was hired to open for Roger Miller. Mack had just bought a new Martin D28. He was so proud to be opening for Miller that he asked him to sign the guitar. Roger Miller did so. As Bill was putting the guitar back in the case, he looked at the signature...Roger Miller had signed it "Bill Mack." Bill asked and Roger said, "Well, Bill, it is your guitar, isn't it?

I suppose I should sift through the Tube for some Tommy and Phil collaborations, absolute stunning stuff but mostly electric guitars from the days before TE went solo acoustic. But I am sure they had the acoustic duo down as kiddies. I will look later - I have to do some works.

Some very interesting replies, thanks! I'm confused now.

And BBG, the guitar needs some new strings before anything else...and PHOTOS - the others are awful Samsungs or something. Hey, I traded a few guitars that I wasn't playing and didn't pay much - the guitar plays and sounds wonderful, but it has the 24 year old mysteries for my luthier to contemplate at some stage... but first, new strings.

(a brand new one of these puppies was in a shop here and sold immediately, EIR/Sitka S model also - one dollar change from $6K!!!!!!!)

And if anyone has read Frankie Presto, well the sigs from the Emmanuels might impart some string magic to the user!

BluesKing777.

This whole discussion is too either-or and unimaginative. Insufficiently dialectical.

The best - the only appropriate - response is to take a leaf out of Johnny Rotten's playbook: leave both signatures...

... and then scrawl 'I HATE' before them.

Whether you really do or not.

Imagine how punk your instrument would be then. More Lydon than Lowden.

And remember Woody's real signature model:

tumblr_lmv4d9V32L1qkzs8bo1_500.jpg

Archived