Gibson Brands Forums

2017 Studio T - Bridge and Tail issues

carouzal

Hello,

I recently purchased my first Gibson Les Paul Studio T 2017 model.

When I received the Guitar the setup was terrible.

I did a quick setup, put a little relief in the neck .010 (there was none). Set the string height to something sane to start 5/64 Bass 3/64 Treble and raised the stop tail piece to get the E strings off the back of the bridge.

I ended up with this:

post-83978-090730700 1487171310_thumb.jpg

I Contacted Gibson, they advised bringing it to the store to have it evaluated and the store decided to order another.

Yesterday I received the replacement

post-83978-054101300 1487171302_thumb.jpg

There is a pretty good angle between the bass and treble side of the bridge and tail.

Is this normal? I have had Tune O Matics before and looked at others in the store and don't see this problem on other brands.

Are the neck angles just not checked anymore?

Thanks

Guest Farnsbarns

What was the problem with the first one? Why was it replaced? If you wanted it level you could have just adjusted the treble side higher, no? I know some people want to see a clearance between the strings and the back of the bridge but it's not part of Gibson specification so I'm surprised they said it was a problem.

I'm missing something here

If I level the bridge the treble side action would be super high or bass side would be too low.

If I raise the tail piece on the treble side I would have no break angle coming off the bridge, if I lower the bass side the low E string bends over the bridge.

I'm just not seeing this on any other guitars I have owned or looked at in stores other than newer Gibsons.

I have owned several Epiphone Les Pauls over the years that the bridge and tail are level on as well.

Maybe I just expected more from a $1500 guitar or maybe I just have a really well made Epiphone.

Thanks for the replies...

Right, I'm following. Going by your preferences for string height, relief, and action, it seems like an enjoyable playing surface. The string angle from the tail piece appears to be the culprit, when the strings lay on the back of the bridge. Does it really bug you to have the strings on the bridge in order to get the tailpiece lowered down?

Guest Farnsbarns

If I level the bridge the treble side action would be super high or bass side would be too low.

If I raise the tail piece on the treble side I would have no break angle coming off the bridge, if I lower the bass side the low E string bends over the bridge.

I'm just not seeing this on any other guitars I have owned or looked at in stores other than newer Gibsons.

I have owned several Epiphone Les Pauls over the years that the bridge and tail are level on as well.

Maybe I just expected more from a $1500 guitar or maybe I just have a really well made Epiphone.

Thanks for the replies...

Still confused. If you have the action lower on the treble side the bridge will obviously have to be at an angle, no?

And then, if you want the break angles to be the same on all the strings the tail will have to be at the same angle, no?

And in your first pic the angle of the tail is even greater than the angle of the bridge and the break angle on the treble side is, therefore, steeper.

I'm obviously missing something but I'm wondering, if you set the bridge at an angle (lower action on the treble side) then it's at an angle. That's it isn't it?

Right, I'm following. Going by your preferences for string height, relief, and action, it seems like an enjoyable playing surface. The string angle from the tail piece appears to be the culprit, when the strings lay on the back of the bridge. Does it really bug you to have the strings on the bridge in order to get the tailpiece lowered down?

I think it bugs me more because less expensive guitars seem to get it right

I think it bugs me more because less expensive guitars seem to get it right

I understand. Gibson neck angles aren't near as shallow as they used to be. Which is neither good or bad for me since the hardware adjusts to the playing surface. My latest LP has a more pronounced angle than my 01'. Hence, I've started top wrapping my tailpiece. Which, feels way better, and is something I'll be doing with all my TOM tailpieces in the future.

I understand. Gibson neck angles aren't near as shallow as they used to be. Which is neither good or bad for me since the hardware adjusts to the playing surface. My latest LP has a more pronounced angle than my 01'. Hence, I've started top wrapping my tailpiece. Which, feels way better, and is something I'll be doing with all my TOM tailpieces in the future.

Im not sold on the top wrap yet :)

Honestly its not so much the height but bass to treble slope that worries me.

I understand steeper neck angle = higher bridge and higher tail but what accounts for the slope?

The bridge saddles are radiused to match the fretboard and string gauge (High vs Low E) shouldn't matter because action is measure from the bottom of the string.

So there should be a 2/64 difference in height from the bass to treble side of the bride not what is in these pictures.

Does that make sense?

Im not sold on the top wrap yet :)

Honestly its not so much the height but bass to treble slope that worries me.

I understand steeper neck angle = higher bridge and higher tail but what accounts for the slope?

The bridge saddles are radiused to match the fretboard and string gauge (High vs Low E) shouldn't matter because action is measure from the bottom of the string.

So there should be a 2/64 difference in height from the bass to treble side of the bride not what is in these pictures.

Does that make sense?

Totally. If you're using at least 10's for strings, then I wouldn't worry about the slope and the strings hitting the bridge. There won't be much fatigue or failure back there.

You should see the angle Slash has on his LP's.

Saw it in a sort of rig rundown video, but couldn't find it now.

Anyway I can't understand what the problem is.

Strings touching the bridge before going into the tailpiece?

If the action is confortable and without buzzing I wouldn't worry about angles and stuff.

I was a much happier person when I stopped measuring things for set up's.

Now I just go by feel (and sound in case of pickup height for example).

Archived