Gibson Brands Forums

2015 lp studio electronics

Roach

question 1. I have never seen this type of electronics before. There is an electronic board with connectors from the pickups that look like a pc fan connector for a gpu fan. so I ask if i want to replace pickups are they made with these connectors?

question 2 what caps are these that appear to be soldered to the board? I know the value is .022 pf, but im wondering are these them orange drops i keep reading about? They are orange....? i have only seen the ceramic disks in my older model LP, These are not those.

Was thinking of trying new caps and possibly ordering new p/u's.

Never seen the guts of a 15, but it may be a similar printed circuit board as seen on earlier models. I had one in my 13 LPJ got rid of it best decision I've ever made.

And yes, gibson sells some of their aftermarket pickups with those connectors, they call them Quick Connect.

Abou the cap, no way to know, a pic would help.

One more thing, if you are thinking of changing pickups and maybe caps, it may be a better idea to rewire it the old fashioned way.

In my case it did make my guitar sound better, and with 50's wiring the controlls work in a way I personally prefere. I suspect the different wiring, pots and capacitor values made it sound better. I used Orange Drops and 500k Emerson Pro pots (made by CTS).

The capacitors on my PCB were blue, I don't know what value, same with the caps.

Never seen the guts of a 15, but it may be a similar printed circuit board as seen on earlier models. I had one in my 13 LPJ got rid of it best decision I've ever made.

And yes, gibson sells some of their aftermarket pickups with those connectors, they call them Quick Connect.

Abou the cap, no way to know, a pic would help.

It seems they do not offer 490/498 with quick connect.

Ok but what about other brands of after market pickups? Will they be avail with "quick connect"?

You are suggesting i remove the board and cut off the connectors and wire to the pots like my 2000 LP.

For that i used the gibson "gary moore wiring diagram" which allows me to use each volume for each pickup without having a master volume when both pickups are used. If the switch is in the middle position both volumes have to be off to silence the guitar. It allows me to put a lil more on one or the other if i want. But is that what you meant?

Here is a pic i found. not my actual guitar but it is exactly what i have. I have only removed the plate one time, just yesterday. These orange colored caps are like more can shaped than the pic reveals, I have seen similar looking caps that are just a bulge, like these may appear to look.

https://gyazo.com/38...644408c6d4cf9a2

My link

i have the same board in my 2014. the bridge vol pot is crackly, so i will eventually replace it. if it was not crackly, i would keep it, even when i swap out the pickup. it easier putting one of those connectors on a lead, than re wiring the guitar.

if you re wired it using the same pots and caps and pick ups, the guitar would sound exactly the same. so unless you are changing something other than pick ups, why bother going to all that trouble to re wire??

Hello Roach.

I wouldn't touch anything if you are satisfied with how your knobs work.

If the only thing you want to change are the pickups maybe this could come handy:

https://stratosphereparts.com/usa-gibson-les-paul-498t-490r-humbucker-pickup-set-black-quick-connect-sale

Just one thing the connector can't be seen on those pics, I had some problems with wrong connectors once, so you better ask them if this would be compatible with your PCB.

If you wanna try something else in terms of components and performance just buy the stuff kick the PCB out and rewire it.

If you like that Gary Moore thing do that, if you like to try something new just look online for wiring diagrams like this one:

WorkInProgress_zpskoxuzlml.png

The advantage of handwired is that you can go from one wiring to another in a few minuts.

If you don't like it just take the soldering iron and make some minor changes and done!

I couldn't say for sure if those caps in the link you posted are OD's, but they kind of look like.

And I don't know if other pickup makers offer QC-pickups.

i have the same board in my 2014. the bridge vol pot is crackly, so i will eventually replace it. if it was not crackly, i would keep it, even when i swap out the pickup. it easier putting one of those connectors on a lead, than re wiring the guitar.

if you re wired it using the same pots and caps and pick ups, the guitar would sound exactly the same.

Are you sayijng changing p/u's wil not change its sound? I would disagree with that.

so unless you are changing something other than pick ups, why bother going to all that trouble to re wire??

Because the pickups i like dont have quick connect, and because gibson charges more for the ones that do. I also understand that many other brands are much more affordable. Just trying to make sense of spending another 300-400 bucks on a guitar that was under $1000 when I already put that much into it so far.

So how can i find out what caps it came with?

Hello Roach.

I wouldn't touch anything if you are satisfied with how your knobs work.

If the only thing you want to change are the pickups maybe this could come handy:

https://stratosphere...ck-connect-sale

Just one thing the connector can't be seen on those pics, I had some problems with wrong connectors once, so you better ask them if this would be compatible with your PCB.

If you wanna try something else in terms of components and performance just buy the stuff kick the PCB out and rewire it.

If you like that Gary Moore thing do that, if you like to try something new just look online for wiring diagrams like this one:

WorkInProgress_zpskoxuzlml.png

The advantage of handwired is that you can go from one wiring to another in a few minuts.

If you don't like it just take the soldering iron and make some minor changes and done!

I couldn't say for sure if those caps in the link you posted are OD's, but they kind of look like.

And I don't know if other pickup makers offer QC-pickups.

I think the last one is the "gary moore wiring". bottom right, is how my 2000 is wired, im 85% sure. been a while sine i looked in that one.

I really like that 4 in one diagram. Thanks. Maybe ill try calling gibson today and asking them what caps they put in there.

Archived