Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Custom Shop Setup Tips

RockyA

Don't know if this has been posted before but for those that are interested in it, here it is. Strange that the custom shop specifies 1/8 turn of truss rod counterclockwise for relief and uses top if 2nd fret and top of 16th fret using low E as measurement and the Gibson website setup tips shows 1/4 turn truss rod relief with capo on first fret etc. Anyway interesting as Custom shop sets the pickups really close to strings at 3/64 for both.

http://archive.gibson.com/backstage/tech002printable.htm

• 2 months later...

Joe Walsh apparently did a video on how to set up a guitar as well. Entertaining, especially if you like Joe.

I don't know how to embed the videos like I've seen others do on here so the link is above.

I've seen Joe's set up video before and he kills me. No feeler gauges, no ruler that measure in 64th of an inch, no capo, no tuner. Just sight down the neck, tune by ear a little crank on the truss rod, a little bridge height on one side, a little intonation on one string. Amazing, but it sounds pretty good when he is done.

Probably why every guitar from the factory needs a little tweaking when you take it out of the box. Factory techs are doing everything by the book with measurements and Joe is doing it by what he hears. The combination of technical/science and art coming together to find the sweet spot. [thumbup]

I've seen Joe's set up video before and he kills me. No feeler gauges, no ruler that measure in 64th of an inch, no capo, no tuner. Just sight down the neck, tune by ear a little crank on the truss rod, a little bridge height on one side, a little intonation on one string. Amazing, but it sounds pretty good when he is done.

Probably why every guitar from the factory needs a little tweaking when you take it out of the box. Factory techs are doing everything by the book with measurements and Joe is doing it by what he hears. The combination of technical/science and art coming together to find the sweet spot. [thumbup]

Before the internet put a guitar in every family room, the way Joe shows you is the way we all did it, and those of us of a certain age still do. It's the only way we ever needed.

rct

Before the internet put a guitar in every family room, the way Joe shows you is the way we all did it, and those of us of a certain age still do. It's the only way we ever needed.

rct

Absolutely.

Archived