Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Waterloo!

sbpark

Took delivery of a Waterloo WL-14XTR today. It's not a Gibson, but it is inspired by the old L-00's, so I thought it was somewhat appropriate to post here. never owned a guitar this small, and so far I'm digging it. Forces you to play differently than I do my AJ and HD-28, that's for sure!

I know some have scoffed at the price tag of these given how sparse they are in appointments, etc. Well here's why I chose one of these instead of a new Gibson L-00. This thing out of the case has incredible fit and finish with ZERO issues. The little glue globs that you can see on the bracing are intentional, but aside from that it's immaculate. Intonation is perfect, nut is cut perfect, neck angle is perfect and the action is perfect. I've never played a guitar from Martin or Gibson that I can say that about. So these things, along with it being built by a "taller" company are why the price is so high on these. Also, I've played a few of these now, and they are VERY consistent form one to the other. This made me less nervous about ordering one online from a reputable dealer without playing it first. Can't say I'd do that with a Gibson or Martin.

I'm starting to think these Waterllos are like a gateway drug. I'm kind of getting sucked in, and almost see my next guitar being a Collings down the line. Still, nothing beats my AJ, but the Waterloo is a great couch companion and songwriting companion for sure.

20170217_172811_HDR_zps9cy8bali.jpg

20170217_172855_HDR_zpsco1zvfp8.jpg

20170217_172939_HDR_zps7jwxoddc.jpg

20170217_173001_HDR_zpsnkyykv9d.jpg

20170217_173018_HDR_zpsugayda80.jpg

Nice! I have a WL-K coming on Monday. Sort of bought it by "accident". Looking forward to seeing if it agrees with me. Enjoy yours! She's a beauty. This is the one I wound up with.

lfh2upe1g11qevhqbbuw_zps8bha0tw7.jpg

I played a couple of the WL-K last weekend, but the regular one and one had a desert scene painted on it. In all honesty I thought that was the model that would be going home with me, but I just seemed to prefer the 14 fret Waterloos over the 12 fretters. The big surprise was the Jumbo King. I may have to pick one of those up at some point.

I can say that the Waterloo guitars have a better fit and finish that Gibsons at a higher price point and any glue inside is less than some of the Gibsons I own and while Bill Collings says they don't sand the braces as much as on a Collings, they do sand them more than a Gibson. They are GREAT guitars for the money.

Great! I have the Ladder Braced with truss rod version and love it. Now go play some Mississippi John Hurt on it!

Haha! Funny thing is, I'm NOT a blues guy at all. More country, old standards, some fiddle tunes, more current alt-country stuff like Son Volt, Ryan Adams, older stuff like Flying Burrito Brothers, etc. I just wanted something that offered me more variety and a radically different sound compared to the Martin and Gibson dreads and all-mahogany 000 I also have. So far it's proven to be a super fun little guitar!

Haha! Funny thing is, I'm NOT a blues guy at all. More country, old standards, some fiddle tunes, more current alt-country stuff like Son Volt, Ryan Adams, older stuff like Flying Burrito Brothers, etc. I just wanted something that offered me more variety and a radically different sound compared to the Martin and Gibson dreads and all-mahogany 000 I also have. So far it's proven to be a super fun little guitar!

No problem. Jeff Tweedy likes him some Waterloo as well!

This post is not so much about the guitar (which is beautiful, by the way), but about why Collings calls its Gibsony-designs Waterloo. Besides having an obvious similarity to the word Kalamazoo, which was Gibson's location and name of its budget brand (from which the Waterloos take thier inspiration), Waterloo was the original name of Austin, TX, where Collings is located.

Red 333

This post is not so much about the guitar (which is beautiful, by the way), but about why Collings calls it's Gibsony- designs Waterloo. Besides having an obvious similarity to the word Kalamazoo, which was Gibson's location and name of its budget brand (from which the Waterloos take thier inspiration), Waterloo was the original name of Austin, TX, where Collins is located.

Red 333

I remembered reading about that. Pretty cool. [thumbup]

Archived